• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bead lock thoughts and recommendations?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
One of the uses it to just prevent the wheel from spinning faster than the tire. A single side bead lock is probably more than adequate for that. Not that Rangers in general can generate enough torque for that to be an issue. I’m not even sure a 2019+ has much to worry about in that department.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
One of the uses it to just prevent the wheel from spinning faster than the tire. A single side bead lock is probably more than adequate for that. Not that Rangers in general can generate enough torque for that to be an issue. I’m not even sure a 2019+ has much to worry about in that department.
Now this makes some sense.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is easier with lower tire pressure too. Used to be pretty common for tractors (that run 15psi max) to spin the rims in the tire and snip the valve stems off the inner tubes.

I think tires see more stress at the bottom being pulled towards the vehicle than getting pulled away from the vehicle too.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I know I'm a bit late to the party here,

Single-beadlock wheels exist largely for cost considerations (obviously it's much cheaper to have one beadlock than two), and to a smaller extent, ease of use (only one beadlock to torque down). Single beadlock wheels are practical in a lot of cases simply because the inner sidewall of a tire is generally not subject to the same forces as the outer sidewall.
Say you're crawling through large rocks while the truck is significantly leaning driverside-down... Because of weight transfer (from it leaning), the outer sidewalls of the driverside tires will see much greater load than the inner sidewalls of the passengerside tires.
The same also happens when cornering in circle-track racing, weight transfer from the forces of cornering puts much more load on the outside tires of the turn than on the inside tires.

I have contemplated beadlock wheels a few times in the past myself... I always ended up deciding against them simply because I haven't really had much issue with slipping beads.

I usually run somewhere between 10-20 PSI, depending on the terrain...
On lengthy roads that are severely washboarded (Saline Valley road not far from Death Valley being a good example), I run 10 PSI for the extra cushioning it provides over the washboard (I'll also run 8-10 PSI in soft sand). For large rocks (Rubicon trail for example), around 12 PSI. For less-difficult runs, I'll use 15-20 PSI.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I know I'm a bit late to the party here,

Single-beadlock wheels exist largely for cost considerations (obviously it's much cheaper to have one beadlock than two), and to a smaller extent, ease of use (only one beadlock to torque down). Single beadlock wheels are practical in a lot of cases simply because the inner sidewall of a tire is generally not subject to the same forces as the outer sidewall.
Say you're crawling through large rocks while the truck is significantly leaning driverside-down... Because of weight transfer (from it leaning), the outer sidewalls of the driverside tires will see much greater load than the inner sidewalls of the passengerside tires.
The same also happens when cornering in circle-track racing, weight transfer from the forces of cornering puts much more load on the outside tires of the turn than on the inside tires.

I have contemplated beadlock wheels a few times in the past myself... I always ended up deciding against them simply because I haven't really had much issue with slipping beads.

I usually run somewhere between 10-20 PSI, depending on the terrain...
On lengthy roads that are severely washboarded (Saline Valley road not far from Death Valley being a good example), I run 10 PSI for the extra cushioning it provides over the washboard (I'll also run 8-10 PSI in soft sand). For large rocks (Rubicon trail for example), around 12 PSI. For less-difficult runs, I'll use 15-20 PSI.
This post represents my current thoughts exactly. I also need to decide exactly how I want to use the truck. My adventures this weekend really woke up the camper/traveler in me and I am set up pretty well right now for overlanding in a cheap and simple way. But I also enjoy going to a park and getting fearless on the rocks and hill climbs. Ideally, I should have a rig built and dedicated to each purpose. $$$$ I don't have.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Kinda sorta makes sense but in circle track racing while the right side tire is being pushed inward the left side tire is being pushed outward so you would still technically still need double beadlocks, especially once the track starts getting grooved and force is coming from all angles. BUT most professionally sanctioned dirt track racing doesn’t allow bead locks anyway and have rules per track about minimum tire pressure to prevent tires from coming off. I work on the "pit crew" (3 drunk guys in a trailer) of a sportsman 602 class dirt car, our home track usually mandates about 25-30 psi minimum depending on the current track condition and no beadlocks are not permitted in any class. :dunno:

truckfan

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
To me, the only con is the price. If you have a budget, go and get them. With bead locks, you can air down to single-digit psi. I saw the Black Rhino beadlock wheels on 4wheelonline, and they look nice. I'm actually thinking of getting a set.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals