• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery idiot light on - whats the problem - help!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
For reman alternators (and starters for that matter) if I can't get Motorcraft for any reason I will go buy one from any parts store that offers free in-store testing (so pretty much all of them) and ask for the new unit to be tested before I buy it.

When I worked at Advance it was rare (and usually at the customer's request) that I didn't test a starter or alternator I was selling before sending it out the door. This would let us know for sure that the unit wasn't at fault if they got it on and still had issues.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
My last one was a reman’d unit in very new condition from the junk yard. Either of the 2 he mentioned would be ok in my opinion. I almost trust Bosch

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
There's a guy in my little town who rebuilds them. I don't know where he gets his parts but they seem to be good because the last one he did is still going strong over 4 years now.
during the half price sales at the wrecking yard I've also got two or 3 more Motorcrafts, and the Explorer came with a new one already on it

When you pour that oil make sure you turn the bottle where it should go(that keeps it from making a vacuum and start to "glug-glug")

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
When you pour that oil make sure you turn the bottle where it should go(that keeps it from making a vacuum and start to "glug-glug")
I once watched a feature-length scientific treatise on this.

I believe it was called "Beer Fest".

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I once watched a feature-length scientific treatise on this.

I believe it was called "Beer Fest".
I’ll have to check that out.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
There's a guy in my little town who rebuilds them. I don't know where he gets his parts but they seem to be good because the last one he did is still going strong over 4 years now.
during the half price sales at the wrecking yard I've also got two or 3 more Motorcrafts, and the Explorer came with a new one already on it

Yep. I won't do the oil thing again. I was 100 miles from home and at the cracker barrel for dinner when I thought I better check my oil since I happened to have an unopened quart behind the seat. The first few glugs sent oil everywhere. Its the first time I've tried it - wont do it again.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
First, I'm in Atlanta. I lived many years near the Canadian border with -25 F degree nights so I'm pretty familiar with battery death by cold weather. Batteries die differently here. The heat kills them here and they usually last about 4 years regardless of the the "warranty time" A 72 month battery lasts 4 years and a 36 month battery usually does too. That said, a dead battery is a dead battery. I replaced it 3 weeks ago and the battery light first showed up yesterday.

I bought the new battery because it wouldn't hold a charge and it was well past 5 years old. I recharged it twice and it held the charge for a day, then dead. This is an extra truck so I don't drive it everyday.

Thanks for the help and comments. I will troubleshoot the alternator tomorrow. Does a new alternator usually come with a new rectifier? Would like to buy a motorcraft alternator from Rockauto (if needed) but not sure what I'll get since every vehicle can be different.
RonD, dont get me wrong I get your point - maybe my dying alternator killed the battery. You may be right. I needed a new battery due to the age so I guessed. The battery actually said it was over 10 years old according to the punch marks on it. I got the truck used so I didn't really know the age of the battery. It was either 14 or 4 years old.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Seriously considering a Remy new alternator. The price is right and the quality seems to be high. I've not had good luck with remanufactured in the past - some have been good and some have been junk. Never had to buy a reman alternator though. The reman steering pump I bought took 2 tries before I gave up and bought a new one. Same deal with a reman windshield wiper motor - lasted about 2 days. Reman brake calipers I bought for my 23 year old volvo were OK - not junk but they had some junky replacement parts on them - mostly the bleed nipples. The hex rounded off the first time I snugged them up. Otherwise nice part ruined by junk bleed nipples.

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Wish I could remember what replacement alternator I put in my truck. It was probably 8-9 years ago. Pretty sure it was a new Bosch from Advance Auto. The OE took a sudden crap on me. Bosch is still working great. I've used Remy before in other vehicles and they were fine too.

98v70dad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wish I could remember what replacement alternator I put in my truck. It was probably 8-9 years ago. Pretty sure it was a new Bosch from Advance Auto. The OE took a sudden crap on me. Bosch is still working great. I've used Remy before in other vehicles and they were fine too.
The new Remy was about 100 bucks - shipped. I bought one and will see how it goes. I couldn't find anything but positive comments about them. Definitely better than my non-functioning original equipment

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The new Remy was about 100 bucks - shipped. I bought one and will see how it goes. I couldn't find anything but positive comments about them. Definitely better than my non-functioning original equipment
Just a heads up about "new" parts
Labor is expensive, materials are cheap

So there is no "Quality Control" testing done on assembled units any longer, well unless you buy AC/Delco or Motorcraft units, car makers still pay extra for Quality Control, which makes their parts much more expensive, but they can't afford a batch of bad units installed in new vehicles

So never assume the "new" part works as it should, just because its "new"
In the case of alternators you just need to test 3 of the vehicles wires, if they test OK then a working alternator will "work"
If alternator doesn't work then return it

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Used to be you could walk into any parts store anywhere, and anytime, and get a rebuild kit for any starter or alternator you could name, but that left town with every major corporation who demanded higher dividends.
I studied into this quite extensively several years ago and found there was yet one alternative still available, all you need is being able to comprehende espanol ;)
You see, they no longer carry them here in the USA, they do however still carry them in Mexico.
After some digging I found a couple of the links I'd saved from my past searches, both are Autozone Mexico
This is their main page
This one narrows it closer to engine accessory parts
https://www.autozone.com.mx/refacciones/partes-externas-de-motor

You cannot hope to get overnight delivery, but ground is still an option

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Used to be you could walk into any parts store anywhere, and anytime, and get a rebuild kit for any starter or alternator you could name, but that left town with every major corporation who demanded higher dividends.
I studied into this quite extensively several years ago and found there was yet one alternative still available, all you need is being able to comprehende espanol ;)
You see, they no longer carry them here in the USA, they do however still carry them in Mexico.
After some digging I found a couple of the links I'd saved from my past searches, both are Autozone Mexico
This is their main page
This one narrows it closer to engine accessory parts
https://www.autozone.com.mx/refacciones/partes-externas-de-motor

You cannot hope to get overnight delivery, but ground is still an option
Their prices look outrageous....until I thought "pesos".

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Their prices look outrageous....until I thought "pesos".
Haha, I looked at that after posting, thought " I hope they know pesos too!"

You'll find numbers on other continents in the millions which to us are only pennies

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I also would not suggest using your best card on that call(same as I do on ebay ;) )

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals