• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

>> Battery hold-down bolt RUSTED in place... Durn... FIXED!!

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Been hitting it with PB Blaster for a couple weeks, no luck yet. Probably from letting battery corrosion get away from me a year or so back. Even though current bolt probably going to be destroyed, need to know the THREAD-spec, so I can either "chase" the current threads in the tray-nut, or... drill and tap the NEXT SIZE UP.

Open to all suggestions, might have to jury-rig some velcro straps as an intermediate hold-down solution.

Davejb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I reject your reality and substitute my own
Had the same issue, after soaking didn't work I just cranked on it until the bolt snapped, then beat the insert out with a hammer and punch, then just used a new bolt with a washer and nut underneath the battery tray to hold the plastic wedge piece in place.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
My hold down bolt failed as well. A couple of minutes with a tap and die to step it up to the nearest appropriate larger bolt and it's been holding strong for a long while now.

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Had the same issue, after soaking didn't work I just cranked on it until the bolt snapped, then beat the insert out with a hammer and punch, then just used a new bolt with a washer and nut underneath the battery tray to hold the plastic wedge piece in place.
Bingo, yeah that's the setup I've got. I like the "wedge" because it allows different size (depth) batteries... in fact the freaking EXCELLENT OEM/factory battery (7 1/2 years!... in HOT climates) was quite a bit smaller than what the aftermarket catalogs call out... (Group 58 or 59, IIRC??)

I actually muscled it out about 1 full turn before it bound up... should probably re-tighten and re-apply PB Blaster, and get some on the threads that poke through underneath, maybe wire-brush it a bit... hate to lose that "captive" spot-welded nut, but not the end of the world... will splurge for stainless.

Davejb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I reject your reality and substitute my own
I forget what I used for a bolt but I did use anti seize compound so hopefully it'll come out without much fuss when I need to replace the battery.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Seems I've put a battery in my truck every couple years... I guess it's not long enough between battery replacements for the hold down bolt to seize.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
they're m6x1, you can get a kit that comes with a new bolt and wedge at most parts stores for a few bucks. I've always cut them off at the top of the wedge, removed the battery then heated the captive nut with an oxy/acetalene torch to remove the rest of the bolt, then chased threads, coated the area with a bit of fluid film then reassembled.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yup, they are metric. Usually either I snap them or someone else has. Once or twice I have cut them off and then extracted the stub like @holyford86 said. If they are snapped or I barely get it out (once I think, lol), I have a box of 1/4” stainless bolts so I just drill, tap, and replace.

BiggSherm1988

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
none...yet
Total Drop
not for me
Mine completely rusted away and now I just let my battery hang out with no security at all. I'm here for a good time not a long time. :icon_cheers:

fixizin

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Thanks for all the info! Bolt FINALLY let go, threads shot on the engaged section of the bolt, but captive-nut threads are fine, so for now I just put a rubber spacer at the top so that it engages the good threads farther down the bolt... will search out a stainless replacement bolt, and put some anti-seize goo on that puppy.

PS: Youse guys with your oxy-acetylene torches make me go "URR, Urr, urr..." and start shopping online for my own "gas axe"!... prolly hurt myself... or cutoff a frame member... plus have to find an industrial gasses supplier... then lie to da chixx about all the cool stuff I do with such a setup... :ROFLMAO::icon_welder:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mine completely rusted away and now I just let my battery hang out with no security at all. I'm here for a good time not a long time. :icon_cheers:
That actually caused running issues with my 92 until I fixed it by drilling and tapping for my standard replacement

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for all the info! Bolt FINALLY let go, threads shot on the engaged section of the bolt, but captive-nut threads are fine, so for now I just put a rubber spacer at the top so that it engages the good threads farther down the bolt... will search out a stainless replacement bolt, and put some anti-seize goo on that puppy.

PS: Youse guys with your oxy-acetylene torches make me go "URR, Urr, urr..." and start shopping online for my own "gas axe"!... prolly hurt myself... or cutoff a frame member... plus have to find an industrial gasses supplier... then lie to da chixx about all the cool stuff I do with such a setup... :ROFLMAO::icon_welder:
Dad gave me my first torch a long time ago, was his first torch and he rarely used it. I taught myself mostly how to weld with it and cut, dad covered some basics but it wasn’t until I actually ran it that I really understood. Then I bought a big oxy/propane setup, it’s only good for cutting or heating, can’t weld with it like the acetylene, but I have a 100# propane tank and big oxygen bottle. Both have come in quite handy

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals