• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Battery backwards 1992 4l running again. damage report

92ranger4L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4l 4x4
Transmission
Manual
Maybe my terrible experience can help some unlucky soul in the future. Bought a 92 4x4 4l ranger off craigslist and the dude said he installed the battery backwards and his "mechanic" diagnosed it and it should fire right up with a new eec. Boy was he wrong, additional stuff fried by battery and several unrelated issues. Heres a parts total:

1) solenoid by battery. Symptom: No crank while bridging 12v to signal wire but crank when bridged starter input directly to battery.

2) alternator and fusible link. Symptom: not charging and no continuity down wire

3) icm. Symptom: no spark when Coil ohmed good, was recieving 12v, had new plugs for maintenance. That one was a shot in the dark but got lucky.

4) new electric key switch on steering column. Symptom: no koeo accessories getting power. No power to started signal wire to engage solenoid by battery. Confirmed all relays getting power prior to.this discovery. What a pain. The switch split in two and wasnt making contact.

5) new maf sensor. Symptom: checked on a whim due to poor performance and the wire was burned through about 80%

6) new fuel pump. Symptom: hard start, wouldn't take throttle, misfire, low power. Confirmed good spark and plugs dry. Hooked up gauge and had zero psi at rail and directly before fuel filter. Took pump out of tank and rubber hose from pump to hard line was dry rotted through dumping all my pressure.

Good luck, have fun

92ranger4L

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4l 4x4
Transmission
Manual
P.s. shout out to all the troves of data and troubleshooting listed on this forum and easyautodiagnostic.com. couldn't have done it without these two websites. Plus a voltmeter and lots of patience. If anything has you stumped, I'd highly recommend easyautodiagnostics.com for some of the best troubleshooting procedures and diagrams I've seen freely available besides OEM service manuals and I've seen my share. Heres an example: https://easyautodiagnostics.com/ford/4.0L/ignition-module-wiring-diagram-1

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals