• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Batteries...new or used...input appreciated

Batteries: New or Used

• Only new batteries

Votes: 11 61.1%
  • Junkyard specials are my choice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Depends...but I've used both

Votes: 7 38.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I just read another post about questionable battery function and was going to post in that but thought I would put it to the general population for input.

Simple enough...there is a great Tech Article on batteries for anyone who doesn't have enough information floating in their gray matter already...

http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Fall2008/truck_batteries.htm

So this is simply do you or don't you and your experience...good or not.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The last few years I've bought "refurbished" batteries from a local "Battery Doctor". They have a 1 year warranty and cost about 2/3 of new. I just bought one for my ranger and it cost me $C80.00. I believe it was ~750 cold cranking amps.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have a manual transmission then battery is important, but push(bump) start is an option.
With Automatics battery must be reliable.

New battery lasts 5 to 7 years, I only get new batteries now

You can test used battery for age, 12.5v 2 to 3 years old, 12.3v about 5 years old, they also often have Date Sold on top label

Refurbished batteries are usually good for 2 to 4 years, really depends on what they did to "refurbish it", like automatic transmission rebuild :)
The demise of refurbished batteries is usually an internal short, the plates deteriorate over time and debris builds up at the bottom of the battery, if this debris shorts two plates together the battery self-drains.
i.e. battery starts engine OK but after sitting for a few hours it doesn't, charges OK, but No Start the next morning.
Unhook 1 battery cable and put volt meter on battery, watch voltage, if it is slowly dropping, even slightly, you have an internal short

Car batteries store energy via chemical reactions, these chemicals get used up over time, so batteries wear out.
You can test battery voltage, after it sits for a few hours, 12.3v is a lower limit of what you want to see.
At 12.2v, or lower, the battery won't be able to start engine on a cold morning/evening
The chemical reaction that releases AMPS slows down as temperature drops, so 12.2v battery can start engine at 65degF but probably can't start engine at 45degF
This, of course, is why you often need to replace a battery in the winter, older battery was fine in warmer weather, as temp dropped so did the available AMPS

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The battery in my Ranger is an Interstate that timed out in storage. Steeply discounted (I think like $40)

It is a MT-34, 700CCA battery. It has been rolling over that 302 for 5 years now. :cool:

Not really new, not really used and the same price as a JY battery.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
Last battery I bought was a Optima Red Top. Never again! In this case, it didn't last as long as a battery 1/3 the cost. Now, I just keep a trickle charger on it 24-7. Early demise was probably my fault. I don't drive it often enough.

The first time the battery was dead from sitting, I installed a battery disconnect switch. Problem solved for about 3 years. Now that winter is here again battery is dying again even when disconnected. Time for a new one.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
New
Walmart has a 5 year battery with 3 years full replacement for a little over $100

AzLizard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 2.8
Transmission
Automatic
Paid $35 for a refurbished and it lasted in the wife's daily almost 4 years.
But if I csn I usually buy new.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I don't screw with used batteries. That being said, I also put off the purchase of a battery as long as I can. If they die I trickle charge them for a day or more, on a charger with automatic shut-off. I pretty much won't buy one until I charge it for a day and it still won't start the engine even once.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
I find it hard to walk sometimes because of my tight ass too. Nothing is made to last anymore. Sad, just a sign of the times I guess. I run a sealed NAPA 1amp trickle charger.

I did try a small solar charger on the 4-wheeler battery last winter and it completely fried the battery without losing any water. Odd thing.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
For awhile I was only buying new batteries from Wal-mart. I'd get the three-year free replacement batteries. Problem was, they were dying in the free replacement period. Had one in a truck that was only around 6 months old and I drove the truck probably 3 times a week (not for a 5 minute hop to the corner or anything either). Went out and the battery wouldn't start it. Tried to jump start it to no avail. Pulled it and took it back and when I set it on the counter it suddenly dawned on me what the problem was.... it had frozen solid.

The last one of those that I still had kicking around here died a couple years ago in the free replacement. I think it made it a year and a half or so. Wally world refused to replace it since they had replaced it once before. I complained to management and to the battery manufacturer. My argument was that if it's a 3 year free replacement, it ought to last at least 3 years. They finally coughed up a replacement and so far it's been holding up. It's the first one to make it out of the free replacement period.

I bought a couple junkyard batteries. For $20 bucks a pop at the time, it was worth it.

I've bought new batteries that sat on the shelf too long for a discount. They usually work just fine. Bad thing is, the warranty is cut.

I try hard to avoid paying full price for a battery anymore, but if I have to, I will.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Only new for me. Unfortunately everything I own now is an automatic, so push starting isn't an option. Even if it was a manual it can be difficult to push start by your self on flat ground. I've also seen weak batteries cause problems with other vehicle electronics. While I don't like the cost of new batteries, it's worth the added price to me.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I won't use a battery in my vehicle that I don't trust. And I don't trust a battery whose history I don't know. So, no, I won't buy a used or refurbished battery.

With that being said, my wife's uncle gets a deal on out-of-date batteries somewhere when he needs them. he'll use them in whatever needs one and he doesn't pay attention to what model or class of battery the vehicle or machine needs. MOST of the time, he gets away with it. occasionally, it doesn't work - he either gets one that's a dud or is trying to use one that is not suitable for the application. Then he refuses to believe it's not the battery's fault that the machine (tractor, backhoe, skidsteer, welder, etc.) won't start. Those are the days I get frustrated. :icon_confused: :annoyed:

This past spring, I bought a brand new tractor battery for our Ford 6610 that we bush-hog with. That was pricey. But it starts every time now without the "jump box". I also re-wired the battery cables so the red one is positive and the black one is ground. It's much less confusing now - and, yes, that tractor does run a negative ground.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There are new digital battery testers now that give more info and even predictions on the longevity of the battery. They perform resistance ad conductance tests that can determine the condition of the internal plates and connections. They can also test starting and charging systems. The one I am considering is the SOLAR BA9. It tests all types of automotive batteries on the market today. $68 on Amazon.

Just reading about testing your batteries in Handyman magazine. Not a sales pitch!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
New batteries only. If I'm going to buy a battery I sure as hell am not going to fork out the money on a used battery, rebuilt?...yeah umm well I've seen rebuilt stuff and if you get a year out of it you are lucky so I'll spend a bit more money and get something that has several years of a warranty. The battery in my Bronco 2 is a 2012 battery, seems to be doing fine. The battery in my other truck is actually 8 years old and I've never changed the battery its the battery that was in the truck when I bought the truck new 8 years ago...kind of seeing how long it will last.

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
I don't screw with used batteries. That being said, I also put off the purchase of a battery as long as I can. If they die I trickle charge them for a day or more, on a charger with automatic shut-off. I pretty much won't buy one until I charge it for a day and it still won't start the engine even once.
The Rat isn't a daily driver and the Value Craft I bought from AZ has been flattened many times in its 5 yrs. I hoping my son saved the battery when he junked his CRV :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals