• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Barn" find '95

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My fiance and I took a trip up north of Bismarck this weekend to pick up her new Ranger. This truck has been in her family since new and was most recently driven by her grandpa, who can't drive it any longer and offered it to her if we go pick it up. I was under the impression that it had been sitting for a while (I assumed the worst and figured 15+ years, maybe have to dig it out of the dirt and fix just about everything...)

I was pleasantly surprised that it has only been parked for five years, only one tire was flat, and the little guy fired right up with a fresh battery! Drove it out of the shop it was parked in and onto the trailer for the 360 mile ride home.

The most unbelievable detail: it has ONLY 85k on it. Apart from a few stains on the carpet, this thing is NICE. New tires, AC works, 4.0, supposedly has a rebuilt trans as well. Wish it was a 5 speed but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Will take some more pics once I get it unloaded and cleaned up - here it is in it's "found" state, complete with thick coat of leaves and dust

KIMG0641.JPG

USCGC130

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5.5"
Shran, is there any build planned for this truck or is it just going to a nice clean daily driver?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Probably just going to drive it. I may try and find some cool wheels for it and build some sort of a rack for kayaks. Maybe paint the topper to match the truck - I hate toppers and I explained why but my lady friend wants to see if she feels the same way. She has been driving my ex stepside truck and really likes it but this one is MUCH nicer and it's kinda cool that we both have our grandpa's trucks.

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
I still have my grandpas truck too! Haha

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Score!

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Now that's a keeper. I am very sentimental when it comes to keeping vehicles that have been in the family. They usually only go when they are rusted way beyond feasible repair.

Do some maintenance and cleanup on it to keep it in tip top shape, and drive it forever. I also like the idea of new wheels.

SmartMax1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None yet
Total Drop
Wouldnt think of it lol
My credo
Git or done
My fiance and I took a trip up north of Bismarck this weekend to pick up her new Ranger. This truck has been in her family since new and was most recently driven by her grandpa, who can't drive it any longer and offered it to her if we go pick it up. I was under the impression that it had been sitting for a while (I assumed the worst and figured 15+ years, maybe have to dig it out of the dirt and fix just about everything...)

I was pleasantly surprised that it has only been parked for five years, only one tire was flat, and the little guy fired right up with a fresh battery! Drove it out of the shop it was parked in and onto the trailer for the 360 mile ride home.

The most unbelievable detail: it has ONLY 85k on it. Apart from a few stains on the carpet, this thing is NICE. New tires, AC works, 4.0, supposedly has a rebuilt trans as well. Wish it was a 5 speed but beggars can't be choosers I guess.

Will take some more pics once I get it unloaded and cleaned up - here it is in it's "found" state, complete with thick coat of leaves and dust

View attachment 46072
Good find! My 94 is just starting out on a rebirth. 79,000 original miles. Great start up truck to work on. I love my 94. Yours looks quite like mine condition wise. Mine came with a really nice FG Stepside bed off a 2001? I think.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Now that we have a title and plates on this little guy, it's finally "driveable..."

Weird little issues popping up though.

Will not shift into Drive once in a while, seems like it's stuck in neutral unless you go to 2 or 1 first, then it's fine. I understand this may be a valve body gasket issue, will have to pull it and maybe fix that
Check engine light is on, code P0340...cam position sensor... it is present and plugged in and not making noise, strange, maybe wiring got damaged during transmission rebuild
Steering wheel is crooked on the highway and it shakes a little bit. May have some sort of steering/ball joint/wheel bearing thing going on
AC seems to be turned on no matter what the vent position is set to

Put over a hundred miles on it this last weekend, ran great, pretty much decided to regear it though. 2100rpm at 70mph is pretty nice but it. is. a. total. turd. around town with 3.27 gears. I happen to have a Ranger 8.8 with 3.73s and a matching front center section that really need to end up in here sooner than later.

SmartMax1

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
None yet
Total Drop
Wouldnt think of it lol
My credo
Git or done
Working my 94 right into the winter before roading it. 21,000 at 70mph . How has this effected the city drivng fuel e economy?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals