• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ball joints to replace on FX4 LII 2007

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys I haven’t pick up my new to me ride but I will later this afternoon so I know the guy said it needs a ball joint what would be the best brand and quality to buy? Or should I go with the dealer OEM replacement? Sometimes the dealer sells the whole arm complete (that what it happens with my Lincoln aviator).
Please any help will be great full

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Boys I am a bit skeptical with this seller, I ask him for the ownership to dona bill of sale and he said when we get to the car (wrong answer, scam answer). He said it wasn’t on his name but it was signed since the truck was for my daughter but she didn’t like it (wrong answer, scam answer)
Price $2000 too cheap considering all other are around 4500 to 8k
I asked him how many keys do you have he said only 1 I said usually there are 3 keys. He said I only have 1 but if you don’t want the truck let me know so I don’t drive 1 hour where I have it parked (wrong answer, another scam answer).
what do You guys think?
I am planning to go to the address he gave me and check if there is the truck there and if it belongs to somebody else.
Other than that the deal sound too good
He said truck needs some ball joint and wants to stall while running
I want to hear your input

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If you are that skeptical, skip it. Some of that could be shady or it could be legit. Women Often dont feel comfortable with business deals and will ask a father, son, brother, etc. to help out. If so, the truck may be at her place and not his. I wouldnt expect a bill of sale to be filled out until I am there to do the deal. So Im not sure why you have an issue with that. My state DMV requites a particular bill of sale form to be used and it has to be an original copy of that form. I usually carry some with me. So, it’s up to you and your comfort level.

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
If you are that skeptical, skip it. Some of that could be shady or it could be legit. Women Often dont feel comfortable with business deals and will ask a father, son, brother, etc. to help out. If so, the truck may be at her place and not his. I wouldnt expect a bill of sale to be filled out until I am there to do the deal. So Im not sure why you have an issue with that. My state DMV requites a particular bill of sale form to be used and it has to be an original copy of that form. I usually carry some with me. So, it’s up to you and your comfort level.
Ok thanks I will meet him tomorrow and we Will take it from there anyway, it may be legit and the only way is to go and see what happens with the deal

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Ok thanks I will meet him tomorrow and we Will take it from there anyway, it may be legit and the only way is to go and see what happens with the deal
Ok guys finally I went to meet the new girl and it was a true deal! I got her on the tow truck to check her out, I got a rear wheel cylinder bad, the idle is rough but not CEL on so I am guessing is a VVT idle control valve. Tomorrow I will get the shop to do a safety inspection so I can know what parts I need to start wrenching her at home!
😁😁 wohoooo!
ericbphoto you were right I was just too much thinking it was not a true deal!
I need some parts like the top console is not there, the rear door latch handle is broken and the side steps are not in the car.
Other than that car looks good, I hear a humming so I will need a wheel bearing and may be some ball joints.

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Here are some pics from today let me know what do you think and how much I will spend on some suspension parts like ball joints control arms and hub bearings.
What brand should I go with?

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Glad it worked out.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Just because the title isn't in his name doesn't always mean a scam.

My former neighbor flips cars and often does what's called "Open title" sales. They aren't really legal, but they are also hard to track and catch, if you have a notary who will do them.

Basically he buys the vehicle, gets the pink slip signed by the guy he guys it from, but never signs it himself. Then when he sells the vehicle he gives the pink slip to the guy buying from him, sends them to his notary, who then does the paper work to transfer the title to the final buyer. He does it because he easily sells 8 to 10 cars a year and in our state you have to get a dealer license to sell more than 5. If the cars never go in his name the state never sees him selling enough to make him get a dealer license. Morally sketchy, not really legal, but otherwise legit.

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Now I got a rough idle I hope It will be an easy fix, I think could be the vvt idle control valve? Don’t really know for sure, there is no codes only light on dash are the tire pressure is yellow (May be is low on psi if they have those valve in the tire) and the air bag (hopefully is the sensor on the front grill) a Rear wheel Cylinder is leaking and the hub bearing is noise in the front.
AdMS 08 or boys here What are your thoughts on these issues?

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
Sounds like the truck is going to need a bit of work. I do not think that the 2007 model's had a tire pressure system, but in canada it may have. (I'm from the US) It could be that one of the sensors in the tire had the battery die. They are not to difficult to have repaired.

The rear brakes should be gone through completely, with both wheel cylinders being rebuilt / replaced, and new hardware and shoes, and maybe even new drums. If you are going to have the system completely apart to do the wheel cylinders, you might as well get to all of it.

I would recommend that you take a real good look under the truck for any signs of rust before you sink too much money into it. Also check out the radiator core support. No matter how clean the truck looks, this is a known problem area for these trucks.

If the airbag light is on, get it checked on a scanner. You can get a scanner for a decent price that will serve you for a long time. Things can get expensive to replace with the airbag system.

The truck does look like a nice find though.

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Sounds like the truck is going to need a bit of work. I do not think that the 2007 model's had a tire pressure system, but in canada it may have. (I'm from the US) It could be that one of the sensors in the tire had the battery die. They are not to difficult to have repaired.

The rear brakes should be gone through completely, with both wheel cylinders being rebuilt / replaced, and new hardware and shoes, and maybe even new drums. If you are going to have the system completely apart to do the wheel cylinders, you might as well get to all of it.

I would recommend that you take a real good look under the truck for any signs of rust before you sink too much money into it. Also check out the radiator core support. No matter how clean the truck looks, this is a known problem area for these trucks.

If the airbag light is on, get it checked on a scanner. You can get a scanner for a decent price that will serve you for a long time. Things can get expensive to replace with the airbag system.

The truck does look like a nice find though.
Hey 09 yes I will take a look at the rad core support for sure and I will assess her before I start dumping some money on her for sure.
Thanks for the advice!
She doesn’t look that bad like you said looks like a nice find.

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Ok guys here is the 1st issue I am encountering, the guy who I bought the car from Gave me only 1 key and it is really in bad condition, it was starting the car but it was tricky to get it in the ignition and you had to pull really hard. Now yesterday we locked the car and today we couldn’t open it since there is no remote control and the damaged key doesn’t work on any of the doors.
I went to the dealer and the parts guy was kind enough to make me a key but it didn’t work either (at least the key goes in the lock cylinder smoother than the OEM the PO gave me.
What is my best option? Any one in the forum has a part out ranger that I can get all the cylinders and keys from?
If anyone knows about it please let me know before I go to the dealer and get all new set please.
Thanks

Aviator Guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Transmission
Automatic
Well guys I ended up calling a lock smith He made a new key and programmed also gave me a remote so at least I can easily get into the truck and start it. The only thing is I didn’t let him fix the cylinder lock, I will do it my self later on.
I did change the engine oil today, let me tell you that was really thick, it was bad!
I also took apart the rear brakes drums since I need a new rear wheel cylinder I am changing the brakes shoes and front disc rotor and pads. Still need a hub bearing somewhere in the front, I heard a humming and after that I think I can get away and drive her for the winter like that and next season I can tackle any bad ball joint.

MaicoDoug

U.S. Military - Veteran
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 LVL2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2 inches in the back, not enough in the front
Tire Size
32x11.5x15
AG,

Remote start? How did you do that? My 07 had been flipped. Mostly good, so far. Had suffered from a fuse box fire. But I believe all is well now with newer parts. So you mentioned "Remote Start"?? Does yours do that? Mine is an automatic. May I inquire how to preform the remote start function?

Good luck with your new baby. thx - Doug

09fx4guy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre Key w/ #1 Bars
Tire Size
265/70R16
I think that he meant having a remote fob to open the truck, not necessarily remote start.

Although, if you look on Ford's accessories website, you will find a kit from Ford to add remote start. I have thought about adding it, but I never could justify the almost $400 (IIRC).

Being that our trucks are at least 10 years old, remote start is a luxury to me that I would pass on. The truck will probably need more mechanical odds and ends that are more important than remote starting it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals