• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Bad vibration when put into drive, worse vibration in reverse.

Shawan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all,
I just bought my son an '07 XL with the 2.3 engine. It has 138k miles and It runs very smooth in park and neutral but there there is a vibration somewhere in the center consol area under the dash when I put it into drive. The vibration is much worse when I put it into reverse, the dash shakes and rattles from it even. The vibration continues when backing up.
Driving forward there is no vibration and it upshifts and downshifts perfectly up to 80mph and back down. I replaced the transmission mount and the other two seem fine. My certified shade tree mechanic neighbor thinks theres an issue with the transmission/torque converter. Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.
Thanks

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would still check motor mounts by watching engine "lift"

Hood open engine running
Shift into drive, foot on the brake, engine should shift position slightly, give it a little gas then let off, engine should lift a little then drop back down with NO NOISE

Repeat test but in Reverse gear, engine should lift on the opposite side, and no clunk noise when you let off the gas

Torque convert and input shaft have no changes in load or direction between drive and reverse????
So not sure how symptoms would suggest that

Drive shaft and rear differential switch direction of rotation between drive and reverse, although I wouldn't expect a vibration just being in Reverse and Stopped

Shawan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
We did the brake hold test for the other mounts and nothing. I agree, the driveshaft, carrier bearing, ujoints all would need to be rotating to vibrate I would think. That is why we thought it might be something internal. No idea and I don't have a mechanic I trust to check it out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
An auto parts store may be able to see if there are any Transmission codes, P0700-P0799, not all code readers can see these

And has OD OFF light ever flashed when driving?

Shawan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
No codes of any kind came up. The OD light has not flashed but we just bought the truck Monday

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
A possible issue with the torque converter lockup mechanism, the converter clutch may be have an issue that you don't see until one puts the trans into gear, the vehicle doesn't have to be moving at all. If the clutch is continually locking/unlocking in a rapid state that can cause a vibration thru the driveline.

Shawan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
My neighbor thought it was possibly torque converter related too, I just need to find a trustworthy shop. Thanks for the info I will post what I find out.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I bring this up as I went thru the exact situation 4 years ago, the bearing inside the clutch lockup assembly started to fail, the lockup assembly began spinning out of true, one puts the trans into gear and the entire vehicle starts jerking & shaking. There was a very mild clicking sound coming off the trans where the converter is, pulled out the converter, took it into the rebuilder I deal with & he cut it open to reveal the bearing had failed. Only major issue the truck has experienced in all the time I've owned it.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
How do the rpms change, if at all, when put into gear? The rpms should stay pretty constant when a drive gear is selected.
It could be there is some deposits in the throttle body or IAC.(if equipped) That could make it more difficult to modulate the throttle as desired. One other test would be to find someone that has a similar truck, and see if theirs also had vibration.
tom

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the dash vibrates? haven't seen that since I had an 80's VW diesel.
my '05 has the 2.3 with a manual and has fairly soft motor mounts, it doesn't shake anything but the shifter.
the vibrations would have to travel thru the frame to the cab mounts. then it should affect the entire cab, not just the dash.

I'd take a good look at the rear of the engine & transmission for something contacting the cab. won't cost anything but time and greasy hands.

have a set of jackstands? get the rear off the ground for more low speed and brake load testing.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The torque converter lock up sounds reasonable, didn't think of that

If you hold your foot on the brake in drive and give it some gas does vibration change?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals