• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Vibration/Noise

black_demon69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
did you clock the drive shaft correctly? i have seen where slip joint was separated and when re assembled was off a couple of teeth on spline cause a vibration .

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah, try that. It is safe enough to do and drive normally for testing as long as your axle joints are in good shape.
Got a chance to get it out this morning and drive it without the rear driveshaft. It is definitely the rear driveshaft with the issue.

I felt the centering yoke catch when I had it out too.

I'm going to convert it to the flange on both ends and install a shaft that has 1310 joints on both end.

Hopefully I can fix this once and for all!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
did you clock the drive shaft correctly? i have seen where slip joint was separated and when re assembled was off a couple of teeth on spline cause a vibration .
I never separated the slip yoke, I marked everything installed back the way it came apart matching.

stsalvage

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
i have 2 ranger
Make / Model
Ranger XLT exte
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I had the same problem in my 1991 ford ranger 4.0 5 speed it started happening I bought 1990 4.0 with an automatic I uses the rear half of the drive shaft cus there the same for standard and auto and it fixed it its smooth as ever

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I received the flange in the mail yesterday.

I've got a new driveshaft on order that will fit a Auto Trans with a flange on each end an single u joint on each end.

I also ordered the bolts I need to connect to the new flange, and a socket to fit the output of the transfer case.

I will have this thing installed and hope to have all of this vibration behind me by the weekend!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Finally got all my parts in.

I had to take my socket to work and have one of the guys in the shop turn the socket down on a lathe, but after that it went smooth as silk.

I figured while I was in this deep, I would go ahead and replace the rear output shaft seal on the transfer case. Luckily my local O'rielly's had one in stock.

With my socket fitting correctly, it wasn't too bad of a job at all. I got the new driveshaft in, which is a considerable upgrade from the factory shaft. With the 1310 joint at each end with the flange, my vibration issue from the driveline is gone!

I think the tires may need to be balanced from sitting so long and most likely new ball joints, but it drives 100% better!

Thanks for all the advice and tips guys. I'm going to start daily driving this thing next week to work.

Attachments

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Cool beans man, nice job! Happy for ya :)

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Congratulations! Good to hear that you got it straightened out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals