• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad timing on my 88'

.:Rafael

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi there..!

Well I've just finished rebuilding my 2.3 engine, and everything went just as smooth as I wanted, but the problem started when timing the engine.

I've been searching in the forum and I can't seem to find the solution, so here what I've done so far.

Aligned the crankshaft mark to the block's mark and the distributor aligned at cyl #1 using this firing order from tech library (is it ok? seems odd to me)

The thing is, that it's suppossed to be a mark on my camshaft cover or at least I've read that. I don't have any problem with the mark on the camshaft sprocket (easy to see) it's just that I dont have any timing cover :icon_idea: so I just don't know where to point it, from what I've read it should be pointing at 5 o'clock, and that's where I pointed (just pointed not aligned:dunno:)

So it doesn't run ok and i can't time it properly even if I play with the distributor. It seem that is way advanced the ignition (lots of knocking and the exhaust manifold glowing :sad:)

So what can I do?

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking of using some sort of pin that's coming out of the head to align camshaft it kinds of sits at 5 o'clock

What do you think guys?

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Any input would be appreciated..

Also I'm not sure if the firing order is correct for my 88 anyone?

Thanks in advance.. :icon_thumby:

pinturbo75

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
use a string..... hold the string on the bolt on the camshaft and extend it to the auxiliary shaft gear bolt...then align the cam gear mark to the spot where the string crosses the gear at near 5 oclock..... you will probably have to reset the distributor after this....

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
use a string..... hold the string on the bolt on the camshaft and extend it to the auxiliary shaft gear bolt...then align the cam gear mark to the spot where the string crosses the gear at near 5 oclock..... you will probably have to reset the distributor after this....
Seems kind of "arbitrary" that method, but you know what..

It worked :icon_thumby:

I was 1 tooth away (I was aligning with the cam lobes), I still have to find some vaccum leaks. But overall it improved engine response

Thanks a lot :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals