• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Solid Diff. Covers for ford 8.8 axle

88comingup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Bad Solid Diff. Covers for ford 8.8 axle

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Buyer beware of soild covers not fitting and bad customer Service

I bought the Solid diff. cover for my 94 Ranger on 01/16/2012 and finally had time to go out and install it, but to only find out that it wouldn't clear my ring gear. Clearance was about an 1/8 from bolting down and I tried calling Solid to see what was going on but only got to leave a voice mail with my phone number and then sent a E-mail to them to only get a reply back from Matt at Solid covers asking me what did the axle come out of that was over 2 weeks ago and no replies from solid and i have sent 2 more e-mails since then. So i would not reccomend buying from Solid covers

Inclosed are copies of the e-mails to Solid

If your not going to responde to my last e-mail, Then please send me a return order number to send it back. That way i can order a cover from another company like riddler, Ruff stuff, Blue torch fabb
Thank you, Steven Reed

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: aahomerepair]
Sent: Mon, January 30, 2012 9:08:42 AM
Subject: RE: Website Contact Form

What is the rear axle out of?

Matt

SpynTec Industries LLC.

Phone: 234-759-3105

Fax: 234-759-3306

www.solidaxle.com

www.spyntec.com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 1:52 PM
To: matt@solidaxle.com
Subject: Website Contact Form

FNAME:
Steven

LNAME:
Reed

EMAIL:

PHONE:

attn:
info@solidaxle.com

countrycode:
US

COMMENTS:
I just bought a Ford 8.8 Differential Cover from your company and went out to install it this afternoon and it won't clear my ring gear. It's about at least an 1/8 inch from being able to bolt down my sales no. # is bought on 01/16/2012

image.x:

image.y:

Had to have a Moderator at the Explorer forums ask why it didn't fit and they told him that they knew it wouldn't fit early model Ranger and Crown Victoria's
and they don't have it posted in the spec's on there web site under Product Details

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Last edited:

88comingup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not listed as even saying that now http://www.solidaxle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=34&idcategory=7#details

what's worst is that i didn't get a responce out of them for over 2 weeks until i posted about it on the Explorer forums and then said that they where at a race and didn't have enough people to answer the phones and e-mails and i replied to Matt's e-mail asap

Ya try to make that one fly, at a desert race for 2 weeks :icon_rofl:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Did you see the notice in red on the link I posted? And all you have to do is grind it down a little bit on the inside. It's 3/8" thick steel, 1/16" or so off of it wont hurt anything.

88comingup

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yes it could i belive. but would the Lifetime warranty still be covered and I asked still did not get an answer from them

and on another note, would you want the ring gear still chewing on the cover to final fit if you had new 4.56 gears and a lock-rite and leaving all those metal shavings in your Diff.

Last edited:

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Screw it. It was $65. Who cares about a lifetime warranty? lol I've had mine on 3 different vehicles and beat the living shit out of it and it still hasnt failed me.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
28 spline 8.8's and 31 spline 8.8's have different cover spacings. The 31 spline 8.8's cover surface comes out farther, and has larger axle tubes.

Why they don't just make it fit the 28 spline models I don't know. It's not like the back length of the cover effects much.

motorbill87

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2003/2006
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.8L/4.6L
Transmission
Automatic
i just ordered one yesterday and just now came across this post. i'm planning on installing it into an explorer disk 31 spline 8.8. i'll post again when i recieve it and if it fits or not

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I can vouch that it fits the explorer axle.

Fordrangerman04

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I had a local shop put one on my 94' ranger 28 spline and have beat it up for 5 years on the rocks with no problem and also had new 4.56 yukons installed so they are definately a good quality cover

Destroyer000

January 2009 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0. 4.0 Supercharged
Transmission
Manual
same here.. my buddy bought it for his ranger axle wouldnt clear ring gear... company wouldnt take it back or do anything for him.. i ended up with it and for crap an grins i tried it on my explorer axle and it fit like a dream..

Toofarnorth

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4L
Transmission
Manual
Having read this beforehand I did go and buy one for my 98 ranger and sure enough it wouldn't clear my ring gear. I put it on loosely and checked. It was rubbing just enough to mark the inside of the cover. I pulled it off and grabbed my 4" grinder. I couple of minutes later I tried it again. Works great. Filled it up and then installed the cover with sealant. All good so far. Putting the axle back under the truck tomorrow.

AgPete139

09/2014 OTOTM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~9"
Tire Size
35"x12.50"x17"
OK, so another old thread, but I'm adding my $0.02 anyways.

I just bought my 2nd Solid differential cover from Spyntec.

AXLE: Explorer 8.8", 31 spline

PROS: Fit perfectly, holds additional gear oil due to a higher fill plug, and bolted up as expected. It's a tough cover. It scratches over rocks, but doesn't give in. Very thick, and durable.

CONS: Very bad finish. I've been told that Solid has recently switched powdercoaters, so the material is different. My finish came off with simple brake cleaner, and it was this wierd tacky finish that stuck itself to the paper towel it was resting on. The paper towel/coating finally came off after enough scratches. I tried to take the rest of it off, but, i couldn't. The rest of the powdercoating is still good after 2 years, except that one bad spot.

AXLE: 1979 Bronco, HP Dana 44

PROS: Same as above.

CONS: The cover seems a little too big for my tie-rod steering setup. It interferes just barely. I'll take the additional oil capacity over other brands. I haven't tested it on rocks yet. I'm sure it's just as durable though. I've been keeping brake cleaner away from the finish, just in case. I'm trying different steering configurations for my SAS at the moment.

brinker88

11/2013 OTOM Winner
Supporting Member
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
^ It will fit 31 spline 8.8s perfectly. It just won't fit 28 spline 8.8s without grinding the inside of the cover. And that sucks about the powdercoating. My cover still looks new.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals