• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

bad mother board?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Awhile ago i posted about my 5450 graphics card dieing. Just today i got 2 replacement cards for it. For 40$ i picked up a his ice q 4700 series card. A 4760? I believe. Nice card ran skyrim at stock clock on high at 47 fps. And a galaxy 210. Both have fans.

After a few hours i was llaying a game and the pc went blue. Not bkue screen of death. But just blue. I was able to ctrl alt delete and shutdown. Started it back up but i get no visuals. It detcts that its plugged in. But wont display anything. Ive tried 2 nvidia cards. And 2 ati cards. They all do the same thing. The heat sink will grt hot or the fan will spin.

I put the galaxy 210 in for the first time after the ice q quit working. And still got nothing. So i think the mother board is bad. Or is it possibly destroying gpus. The pc keeps crashing when i play games and stuff. It will randomly restart. The mobo is an a780gm-m3. My vga port also doesnt work and ive tried a vga monitor and an old flat screen.bdont have the hook ups for hdmi or dvi... sorry about spell check on a new phone thats being a pita

Once my friend gets back in town ill have him test a few carfs. Untill then any thoughts or suggestions?

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It's possible. I have a PC I bought used years ago, one day video output just up and stopped. Tried a different known good card - nothing. I put in a PCI ATI Rage3D and it worked with that ancient hardware for a long time. I ended up buying a used CPU&main board and replaced it with something just a little bit better. If it's ****ed, it's ****ed. :dunno: The onboard sound went, too.

Kind of confused, you say it's dead, but then later on say that the PC will randomly restart. The difference between what's happening is a pretty big (does it work, or doesn't it?), you could have a failing PSU.

Last edited:

cvar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Yup, bad mobo can indeed fry graphics cards. That happened to me this spring. Fried a bunch of 'em in a row before I stopped swapping them & tossed the whole shebang. Grrrr. In my case, swapping power supply didn't help.

Tominator

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 S-Trim 450HP
Transmission
Manual
I've had more power supplies quit on me than motherboards!

But I agree that the aggravation isn't worth it....now I usually just get a new PC, put the old hard drive in a case with USB and import my old data...

BTW, I've NEVER had a hard drive failure! In fact I still have the very first one that came in my first PC!

My first computer was a Timex....:icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals