• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad Leak At The Rear

Drg racr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I got the motor back in my Explorer. I took it for a drive, and noticed a huge puddle when I got back. I thought it was my rear main, but I don't think so now. I pulled the starter today, and the inside of the bellhousing is clean and dry. If it was the rear main, I would think it would be spraying oil all over the flywheel and TC. So, I'm thinking I must have pinched the oil pan gasket somehow. The oil is dripping right down the really long Torx screw at the back of the pan.
Am I going to have to pull the motor to get at the oil pan gasket?
There was a plastic strip that goes into a groove on the rear main cap. I didn't use it, because it looked like the oil pan gasket sealed that up anyway. Could that be my goof? :nopityA:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
The plastic strip is a "key" that keeps the seal from walking out of the pan.

Yes, you have to pull the engine to get the pan off.

AD

Drg racr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh, gotcha. I pulled the motor back out, and it was the rear main seal. It was pushed right out of the block and rubbing against the flywheel. I don't know how that happened, it was sealed into place pretty well.
I hope to have it back together later today and try it again.

96_4wdr

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
if the seal walks out again, purchase new seal, Felpro upgrade Teflon ring the best

dipple the seal seat in the block and pan with a hard sharp center punch in 3>4 locations around the circumference of the hole surface inside.
or lightly stake the seal in with a center punch on the outside edge of the seal hole in block and rear bearing/seal cap to hold the seal in place

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals