• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad ground somewhere for 4-way plug

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I have a 1999 ranger sport 3.0 auto trans with a factory tow package. I've used it to tow my trailer numerous times and never had an issue with the lights. Well I've had my trailer loaded with scrap getting it ready to get some money for metal and I noticed my lights weren't working on the trailer. So I look at the plug and the male prong on the truck is broken, so I wired up a new plug in a hurry (on my way to work) and thought it was fixed. WRONG. good plug, used bulb grease to keep from corroding (Ohio weather) so its making a good connection with the trailer. I happen to work at an RV and camper service shop so we hooked up the Tow Doctor, it tells ya what's good and what's bad and where its bad. Its showing my truck plug has a bad ground somewhere. Haven't had a chance to crawl under and look so I just want to ask if anyone knows where the ground is grounded? I'd assume on the frame near the bumper. Can I fix this by splicing the ground wire and making a new ground on the frame? Just wondering. Any advice should be good advice for me because I have a trailer loaded with scrap and no lights and my truck lights can't be seen due to the scrap in trailer. Thanks!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I can't see why you couldn't splice a new ground onto the original [as long as there is continuity].

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's what I was thinking. I just haven't had a chance to get under there and see whats wrong. It's rusty underneath so its probably just rusted off or not getting a good connection. Trailer lights are new LED's and new wiring and plug as of april so that shouldn't be the issue. I just didn't know if the trailer ground splice would affect my truck tail lights since the lights are plugged into a trailer adapter (I think). Not sure if it was all hard wired since its a factory tow package.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals