• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Bad 55+mph vibration

BlueNostromo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I was getting sick of Facebook. Anyway, I just put some new 32s on new 15x8 inch rims. I'm getting awful vibration now. These wheels have been rebalanced twice and they haven't said anything about a bent rim. I hope they would have noticed.

I've also replaced my upper ball joints. While doing that, I inspected my tie rods and they seemed fine. U-joints didn't look off, but I need to look a little harder before I'm sure.

Any ideas?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Inspect the driveshaft carefully. Driveshafts are balanced with weights welded on and the weights sometimes fall off over time. Same with brake drums, if a weight falls off the rear drum you'll get a vibration. Look for "witness marks" where it looks like something was welded on and now there's just a clean spot.

If the vibration started when you got the tires though I would suspect a bad balance job and take it to a different store.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Are they new tires?

Have you tried to move the vibration by rotating the tires? this can help you determine the suspect tire.

I would also look at the wheel weights. If you have one or a couple that requires a couple three ounces of weight... try breaking the tire down and rotating the tire 180 degrees. Tires have a heavy spot as do the wheels. When the heavy spots line up it takes a lot of weight in one area to balance and even though it says it's balanced... you have a out of balance condition. When I bought my truck it vibrated at highway speed. I had them check them they said they were fine. When I got to looking one had nearly 3 ounces in one spot. Repositioned the tire on the wheel... and all was good.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The tires can be out of round. No amount of balancing will cure that.

BlueNostromo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
The tires can be out of round. No amount of balancing will cure that.
I wanted to get these tires/wheels RoadForce balanced to be sure it isn't that. Especially since both the tires and wheels are new. I definitely wasn't having issues this bad until the whole new set.

Are they new tires?

Have you tried to move the vibration by rotating the tires? this can help you determine the suspect tire.

I would also look at the wheel weights. If you have one or a couple that requires a couple three ounces of weight... try breaking the tire down and rotating the tire 180 degrees. Tires have a heavy spot as do the wheels. When the heavy spots line up it takes a lot of weight in one area to balance and even though it says it's balanced... you have a out of balance condition. When I bought my truck it vibrated at highway speed. I had them check them they said they were fine. When I got to looking one had nearly 3 ounces in one spot. Repositioned the tire on the wheel... and all was good.
I do remember knocking a piece off of one of my drums when I was swapping out my axle for a Ford 8.8. I found it swept up in the garage corner... Might JB weld that back on for the weight. Couldn't hurt I guess.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Might JB weld that back on for the weight. Couldn't hurt I guess.
It could if you don't put it back in exactly the right spot. New drums are like 40 bucks a set, why bother trying to glue them back together...

BlueNostromo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It could if you don't put it back in exactly the right spot. New drums are like 40 bucks a set, why bother trying to glue them back together...
I'm not talking about a weight on the drums or anything. Literally a part of the edge of the drum. It would fit back just like a puzzle piece. Unfortunately I don't think this little guy is the culprit for everything though.

I went under my truck and shook around the driveshaft all that I could again and didn't notice any movement/play from the u-joints. I didn't bother jacking up the rear end and putting it in neutral to twist it back and forth though.

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It sounds like a tire issue. Try rotating the tires as suggested above so you can isolate the culprit.

BlueNostromo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like a tire issue. Try rotating the tires as suggested above so you can isolate the culprit.
Yeah, really seems like a RoadForce balance would do it for me.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
did you look for a wheel that had more weight then the others?

being that it comes in at 55 mph I'm going to say balance is the issue.

Take a drive and get in tune with the vehicle and drive it at speed until you determine where it's coming from. Then rotate that tire to a different corner of the car. Repeat the test drive and see if it moves to that spot.

BlueNostromo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
did you look for a wheel that had more weight then the others?

being that it comes in at 55 mph I'm going to say balance is the issue.

Take a drive and get in tune with the vehicle and drive it at speed until you determine where it's coming from. Then rotate that tire to a different corner of the car. Repeat the test drive and see if it moves to that spot.

Well these tires/wheels have been rebalanced twice so I'd need to check again. I'll definitely see about rotating the worst offender to the front when I figure it out

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what kind of wheels? steel or aluminum? center cap installs from the rear?

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
steel wheels aren't exactly flat on the mounting surface.
how you mount the wheel and tighten the lugnuts can distort the wheel.

this is a new Cragar 15 x 8. the outer ring contacts the hub first, there is a gap everywhere else.
at the inner edge is .050", at the bolt hole its .062 (1/16). when the nuts are tightened it pulls the metal in. (duh!)

how carefully the wheel is centered, and how the nuts are torqued in several steps determines
how true the wheel stays.
if you hold the wheel up and crank the first nut to final torque you're likely distorting the wheel too much.

as usual, YMMV

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals