• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wanted Backing plate - '98 7.5" axle, 10" brakes, passenger side

djjauntyj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hey all... recently the passenger rear wheel on my '98 2WD SuperCab had an unfortunate run-in with a curb. The impact destroyed the wheel and bent the axle shaft and brake backing plate slightly. It's a 7.5" LS axle with the bigger 10" brake drums (not 9"). Now, I have all the new parts lined up *except* that backing plate, because of course out of all the possibilities, only the 10" right rear one -- F57Z-2211-A, the one I need -- is the one they discontinued. 9" ones are plentiful, and you can still get the 10" driver's side one, ffs.

So I guess two questions: does anyone have any suggestions for finding one aside from driving to every wrecking yard in Western Washington on the chance there's one I can pull? (which, seeing as how you have to pull an axle shaft to get it off, sounds like a nightmare.)

Or, has anyone had any luck straightening a bent backing plate? FWIW I believe it's bent/warped at the mounting pad where it bolts onto the axle tube flange.

Thanks in advance!

NakedDucks

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Why not just simply get another axle?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
that came up a few months ago. try a search, you should find some good info there.
I seem to recall the left & right plates are same except for the E brake cable hole.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
pjtoledo is correct, this came up not all that long ago and the left and right are the same except the hole for the brake cable. You need to punch the cutout out of the way for the opposite side. The hole is there but with a metal tag over it that needs to be removed.

djjauntyj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Why not just simply get another axle?
- Scouring the yards for a whole new rear end (meaning driving out there and physically looking; yards never know what specific rear ends they have unless it's high-performance or something special)
- Finding the *right* one (not trying to change ratios, give up LS, etc.)
- Pulling it (maybe they'll pull it or have pulled it?)
- Transporting it (remember, my Ranger's down, so this means renting a truck)
- Removing the old/installing the new (unfortunately I'm in a cramped, rough, sloping driveway and not a spacious shop with a nice flat, smooth floor)
- Disposing of the old one
...you get the picture. It quickly becomes not all that simple! Especially when ordering and swapping an axle shaft is relatively easy/inexpensive, or should be, anyway.

djjauntyj

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
pjtoledo/Bgunner, I didn't realize this might be the case until I got the old one off... I couldn't tell if it's perfectly symmetrical but it sounds like it is, or it's at least close enough, I imagine! If I can't get my old one straight, this would be a fine plan B. Spendy ($160+!), but they're out there. I'm sort of thinking they're not being made anymore either, but there's still a quantity lingering in the parts channels, hence the cost. It doesn't actually look as though there's a knockout for the brake cable, so it'd have to drilled/punched and painted, unless I'm mistaken.

(Btw I did find the thread from just a few months ago re: this. Thanks for the insight, guys!)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals