• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Back up lights

Plum Ranger XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don't know if this is the right section to put this in. I have been having an issue with my reverse lights not coming on and when they do, it is once in a while. I checked the fuse and it's good and put new bulbs in and still having an issue. So I am thinking it's the back up switch as culprit. I was wondering where the back up switch is located and how hard is it to replace? 2008 Ranger 2.3L 5 speed manual transmission is the vehicle info.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Sounds like the switch for sure. But I’m gonna say be aware that aftermarket replacements might be junk. My F-150 had no backup lights, fuse was blown, found a short in the circuit (for some strange reason in that the oxygen sensor heater circuit is also part of the backup circuit? Those wires had rubbed on something, easy fix), and still nothing. Tested the switch and it was bad. Swapped it out and the new one worked a couple months and now it’s not. I’m suspecting the switch again because it’s flakey but I haven’t dug into it.

Now, as for finding the switch, I’m not exactly sure where it is on yours, mine was up by the shift rail on the F-150, but it’s pretty easy to locate, it’s the only wires going to the manual transmission, lol.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I could be the switch but verify that before you spend money. If you have power to the switch and after the switch when it's engaged, then you have a wire problem you will need to chase. I want to say the switch is on the driver's side of the transmission, about half way back from the bell housing but it's been a while since I've messed with the transmission.

Tally99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I'm chasing down a similar problem on my 2000; backup light fuse is fine for a while when I replace it, but then it blows after driving. I checked the tail light harness, since my trailer connection had some worn out insulation, so I figured it could be some chafed wires (it wasn't). My next hunch is the transmission range switch/neutral safety switch (whatever you wanna call it, it controls the reverse lights), so I've got a motorcraft part coming this week.

Fingers crossed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals