• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Back at it again... but not mine this time

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
So, my oldest daughter is now getting ready to drive and has her heart set on a 2nd gen ranger because she loved mine when she was little. We drove about 2 hours and 45 minutes a few weeks ago to pick up an 89 that had a suspected blown head gasket to get messaged when we were 20 miles away that they couldn't find the keys to it "sorry"! To say we were a little ticked off would be an understatement. I continued to look with my preference being a 91 or 92 with a 4.0 and the better axles and I was 5 minutes late to the ones that actually popped up. (These things are getting hard to find and if you can find one a decent price!) So I kept looking almost exhausting myself and found this 92 4.0 stx only 45 minutes away. Was told it had some transmission issues as they all do. About 25 minutes before heading out I get a message about it not starting... told him to let me know what he found out and I would decide if I would come up or not. I told him it wasn't a show stopper if he didnt get it running if we could get a close price to see if it was worth me coming to look at it or not and we did. Made the drive and found it was a little rougher than what I was wanting to get into and told him I wasn't going to insult him with a low ball offer and that I appreciated his time and honesty. Quickly after that his wife piped up and said no no no, low ball us. Lol, I hate doing that and didnt really want to get this deep into a project truck that I still had no idea if it even ran. Obviously its home now, lol! Picked it up for 300 bucks, got it home and in the garage and tapped on the starter and boom! Started right up, engine has a misfire and smells like gasoline from 1992, haha. Decided to see what the trans did and it was slow to engage in any gear, didnt drive it all but decided to check the trans fluid... nothing on the dipstick. Grabbed some trans fluid today and gave it a shot, goes into every gear and moves forward and reverse. We will see how this goes, frame is pretty rusty so still need to dig a little deeper into that. Anyways, she absolutely loves this thing and while I appreciate an old truck my daughter is seeing something in this thing that I'm not 100% sold on yet. We shall see,. Sorry for the book, it's been a long time! Glad to be back.

Attachments

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
that is a pretty good steal that you got there. from your picture it doesn't look bad at all.

AJ

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. The cab corners and rockers are pretty solid surprisingly, considering the drivers floor board is severely rusted but that should be an easy fix. Going to get it reliable then look for a decent set of wheels and tires for now.

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
Nice little truck and a good deal. I could never get that lucky.

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
It needs work, don't let the picture fool ya. Haha, its a good starting point for a good price though. It is a little deeper than what I wanted to get into but anyone with a daughter on here I'm sure understands...Lol

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Quick update - pulled out the headliner to fix and dove into the cab floor to see what all was going to be involved... ALOT of work - Told my daughter that we could fix it but she wouldn't have it ready before she got her license in Dec so this was her decision...….

Attachments

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
that was quick.....still have the ext cab? how much for it?

venom97

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
03-4/5 91-8.5''
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
She sold it and made enough to buy this all with her own money. This one has been a project too, already replaced the bed, u joints, power steering line, had to rewire the radio (previous owner cut the wires), and still need to fix an exhaust leak and buy a new radio.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
all good learning experience for the kid.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals