• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B3000 TDI swap

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Bumper looks good.

How do you feel about the six-speed manual found in the Wrangers? I'm still planning the Mazda/Ranger M50D-R1. I'm wanting to have around 250-300 ftlbs of torque. I haven't decided on the specific engine yet, ALH, BEW, BHW. I'd like to keep it simple cheap and easy, as if there's such a thing. I guess the engine price will dictate what I buy. I'd like to be able to pull a 7x14 3000lb cargo trailer around the country.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
The nsg370 is also a nice trans. Lots of people do hemi swaps in tj's with them and they seem to hold up just fine. I have one on the shelf I could measure to see how close the shifter to bellhousing face is to an m5od.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
The nsg370 is also a nice trans. Lots of people do hemi swaps in tj's with them and they seem to hold up just fine. I have one on the shelf I could measure to see how close the shifter to bellhousing face is to an m5od.

Thanks. I was more curious than anything. This will be my first TDI swap. I don't want to make any more complicated than necessary. :icon_thumby:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
what yard did you buy the engine from?

Evguy1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have an adapter for that. ;>)

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have an adapter for that. ;>)
Oh i know :). If I break this trans, I'm going to swap to a NSG370 with a rubicon wrangler t case. That will give me 72:1 crawl ratio :yahoo:. I hate the 3.4:1 first gear in the m5od, the nsg has a 4.46:1 and would be amazing for getting a loaded trailer moving. The bellhousing to shifter dimension is 1" longer on the NSG so that will be nice to push the engine 1" forward also.

Thanks to craigslist, I scored a 10k mile marker hydraulic winch for an absolute steal of a deal (they're ~$1500 new :shok:). Need to hit up hydraulic store tomorrow for a few fittings and she'll be operational.

Not that it was needed, but it can't hurt so I threw on a 10x10 cooler I had laying around for the PS system.

Again, wasn't needed, but it can't hurt. I had the filter head laying around so I mounted it up in the bumper. It's nice and protected here and the hose routing will tuck up cleanly.

Last edited:

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
Good info on the trans. You have me reconsidering it. What about T cases? I'd like a manual T case but from my understanding almost all of them are electronically controlled through a module similar to the Ranger. My Ranger is 4x2 and manual shift would make life easier.

On the filter, are you putting it on the low pressure return side?

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Good info on the trans. You have me reconsidering it. What about T cases? I'd like a manual T case but from my understanding almost all of them are electronically controlled through a module similar to the Ranger. My Ranger is 4x2 and manual shift would make life easier.

On the filter, are you putting it on the low pressure return side?
The Jeep cases can be had manual shift so thats no issue. The rubicon transfer case is only manual shift http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/transfer-cases/np241or

Yes, the additional filter and cooler are on the low pressure side.

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hydraulic winch is fully operational and I already had it use it to pull a dead vehicle up an iced over 8% grade driveway! As expected, line speed isn't raging fast, but I know I can pull all day and now have a baseline speed to make power steering pump modifications against.

Tig'ed on some 6an fittings

Ran a switch in the cab so I don't have to use the remote sitting in the truck. I'll get a nice switch the next time I order from McMaster, this was a super cheapie I had laying around.

Cooler plumbed up

Filter

Hooked to a tree and spooled the line on in high gear as a test. This line is ugly towards the bottom so I hit up ebay for some 7/16" synthetic line and a hawse fairlead that will be here next week.

I took apart a spare vw pump to see what the guts of the regulator look like. Holy hell the flow passage in the outlet fitting is small haha. I cut the pin off the pressure piston that protruded into the orifice and use some small carbides to give a better flow path than the two tiny notches that were there from the factory. I'll add the 2 washers under the spring to bump the pressure. I have a pressure gauge I'll hook up to check outlet pressure after the mods.

Stock

Mod attempt #1

Last edited:

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
That VW pump should hold up well with a little tune-up.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
That VW pump should hold up well with a little tune-up.
The flow mods worked a little too well. Winch is definitely faster especially with engine at 1500rpm, but now the power steering pump sounds like a wicked supercharger above 2500rpm LOL. So I'm going to try modding another pump fitting to halfway in between stock and the all out one.

Courtesy of ebay, 100' of 30klb rated 7/16" synthetic line and a hawse lead for $150 to my door. The steel cable was ugly and had quite a few knots and pinch spots.

Last edited:

ben_2_go

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5 Scrap
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235-75-R15
My credo
None at all.
The flow mods worked a little too well. Winch is definitely faster especially with engine at 1500rpm, but now the power steering pump sounds like a wicked supercharger above 2500rpm LOL. So I'm going to try modding another pump fitting to halfway in between stock and the all out one.

Courtesy of ebay, picked up 100' of 30klb rated 7/16" synthetic line and a hawse lead for $150 to my door. The steel cable was ugly and had quite a few knots and pinch spots.
Good deal on the syn and fairlead. To bad about the PS howling.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Went on a 500 mile trip this weekend for some snow wheeling with some good friends. Towed a friends XJ on my trailer on the way there and ran empty on the way back. Left the jeep and trailer there for another wheeling weekend in 2 months.

Got some really funny looks, but it handled the ~6200lb load perfectly (trailer has brakes on both axles and using a prodigy rf controller, no worries). On level ground, I could run 5th gear at 2500rpm/70mph easily with 1050-1150F egts and 26-28psi. On hills I'd drop to 4th and egts would sit at 1250F-1300F and 38-40psi at 70mph. Coolant temp never went over 203F. Long story short, I was running within safe limits.

Picture of gauge at top of a 6% grade. Needle is total boost, EGT is self explanatory, and PSI is low pressure stage boost.

Here's a video of normal rate acceleration with the XJ on the trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oW9XEtNh8vU

40mph winds the day before made for some very interesting wheeling. Would go from 3" to 3' as I found here. The winch got lots of use this weekend! After a hard continuous pull of about 60ft pulling myself and an f350 through a deep area, the hydraulic motor wasn't even 100F to the touch :D. It may not be the fastest, but that's the reason I went hydraulic over electric right there.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals