• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B3000 TDI swap

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Understood on all! :)

One thing to consider: If you get the 8.8" 4:10 Torsen rear, you a.) might be able to sell the Torsen and b.) will get the 31 spline axles.

If you get a Ranger 8.8" with 4:10 that doesn't have the Torsen I don't think you get the 31 spline axles...fairly sure the only 31 spline Ranger was the FX4 models (as always, these are 'thinks' instead of 'knows').

You sure don't mess around on swapping sh1t out! :)

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Despite the yard insisting they had a manual t case ranger that I needed the linkage from, turns out it was electric shift :annoyed:. I expressed my displeasure of making a 1.25 hour drive each way for nothing so we then talked deal on axles. They didn't have a 4.10 ranger front end to match the 4.10 fx4 posi rear they had, so we settled on a ranger 28 spline 8.8 3.73 for $170. I'm not concerned about the whole 28 vs 31 spline, I'm sure I'll spit a u joint before I break an axle shaft. Worst case, I'll sell this axle off down the road and get a 31 spline fx4 rear end and put some disks on it. My 7.5 was on it's last legs so this is a step up no matter what.

I spent a good chunk of the ride home on the phone calling every yard that has a manual t case listed on car part to see if they still have the shift linkage, floor plate, and boots. Hopefully one will come through!

Wire wheeled and painted up! Once it's in the truck I'll pull the axles and change all the seals on it. I'm not a fan of bending over any more than I have to.

Last edited:

fte

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I think the 4.10's would have been going the wrong way, I'm geared with 3.08's in my Sport Trac, 31" tire and 6 speed, Kubota 2.2. If I had stayed with the 5 speed I would have gone with the 3.55's (6 speed 5th gear, 3.08 is @ the same rpm as 5 speed 5th,3.55) 4.10's that were in it were ridiculous.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
As I said back a bit, 4.10's would've given me 2632rpm in 5th at 75mph with 31s which is perfect for the tdi with a light load. They don't like to be lugged down hard when towing, they'll pull it, but EGT usually start to climb high. Oem rpm for this engine is 2500 at 78mph. With the 3.73 I'll be at 2395rpm at 75 in 5th with 31s. Axles are easy enough to swap that if the 3.73s end up too tall for towing, I'll get a set of 4.10 axles from a fx4. Today fixed my issue of a rear end on its last leg and I'm not afraid of a rear end letting go anymore.

Got the 8.8 in and test drive was a success! No more clack-clack-clack between shifts in the lower gears.

Last edited:

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got a package today with a red spinny thing

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Is there any reason your going with a k03 instead of a vnt-15 or the like for the hp? Or is it just what you have lying around?

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Is there any reason your going with a k03 instead of a vnt-15 or the like for the hp? Or is it just what you have lying around?
One of my vw's has compounds with a vnt hp. It took a substantial amount of work to get it tuned right. This is a truck and I want it as simple as (relatively) possible. On a 2.0 pd motor that k03 will spool at probably 1200-1300rpms.

chucky2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC V-6
Transmission
Automatic
Hey, not to rehash the rear axle but I wanted to comment as end of day thoughts were bouncing through my head last night...

For Rangers, the 2002 FX4 (there was no Level II package in 2002) was the same as the 2003 - (at least) 2005 FX4 Level II's, they were the same package. They all were 8.8, drum, Torsen limited slip, 4:10, 31 spline. In 2002, and possibly some early 2003, there was a recall/TSB on the manual trans ones because something was breaking in the rear due to the Torsen during high load conditions...I remember reading something about this but I can't remember specifically what it was. The auto for the same year probably had the same issue but it wasn't part of the recall/TSB probably because the auto trans mitigated some of the high load shock and thus Ford decided no need to recall those as well.

At some point, I don't know the year, 2006 maybe, Ford started changing the FX4 Level II package and also, re-introduced the FX4 as well. I don't know if these later year non-Level II FX4's had the Torsen or the 31 spline axles...maybe they did, maybe they didn't.

So I guess I wanted to put all this down here as if you're looking in the future for a "FX4 rear", and want it for the Torsen as well (or maybe you'll just put in a true locker, so it won't matter), you might want to see if they'll tell you if it came out of a Level II or not, and preferably, if it came from one 2004 or up so you don't have the recall/TSB concern to worry about.

Thanks for sharing your build, I live vicariously through guys like you! :headbang:

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate the info Chucky! I won a complete factory 8.8 28 spline clutch limited slip carrier this morning on ebay for $64 shipped, so I'm going to give that a whirl for a while. Since I have on board air, front/rear ARB's will eventually end up in the axles at some point in the next 5 years. Need to let the bank account recuperate first LOL.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
One of my vw's has compounds with a vnt hp. It took a substantial amount of work to get it tuned right. This is a truck and I want it as simple as (relatively) possible. On a 2.0 pd motor that k03 will spool at probably 1200-1300rpms.
Oh, that's not good news for me. I have a vnt-15 I'm planing on running as the hp unit on my truck. Maybe I should just rebuild that k03 I have, would have to find a new compressor wheel though.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oh, that's not good news for me. I have a vnt-15 I'm planing on running as the hp unit on my truck. Maybe I should just rebuild that k03 I have, would have to find a new compressor wheel though.
The problem with a vnt in compounds is that at a certain point, you outflow the vanes. This requires an external wastegate to be fitted. From experience, a vnt15 will start to boost creep around 150-160hp. That's roughly the maximum mass of exhaust gasses than can pass through the turbine with the vanes fully open.

Here's what happens when you add a wastegate to the mix in a vnt compound arrangement-
-Reach max flow of vnt turbine with vanes open
-External gate opens
-Drive pressure drops pre-vnt turbine
-Less energy is suddenly transferred to vnt turbine due to drive pressure drop so shaft starts slowing
-Vanes need to shut a little to maintain shaft rpm
-Exhaust mass keeps increasing as LP spools and more air enters/exits engine
-External gate opens more
-Vane position needs to adjust again
-As rpms increase, this cycle keeps repeating itself.
-Now imagine what happens when you let off, and then get back in the throttle heavy again.

Now it is obviously possible to get the ecu vnt maps and external gate to play together so the system works, but be prepared for 20+ hours of tuning on that alone. A dyno might cut it to 10-12. I did it once and I'm never doing it again.

I'd strongly suggest using the K03, block the internal wastegate shut, and use a 38mm external gate to control HP boost off the egr port on the manifold. You'll have many less gray hairs.

Exenos

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The problem with a vnt in compounds is....
SNIP
That make sense, thanks for taking the time to explain. You wouldn't by chance happen to know where I could find a reputable source for new k03 compressor wheel would you? Mine is pretty rough due to the po using a K&N style filter.

EDIT: Or how about locking the vnt vanes in something like a 3/4 closed position( push-pull cable anyone?) then using the external waste gate to control the boost without involving the vanes at all?
( I'll stop derailing your thread now)

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
interesting.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
That make sense, thanks for taking the time to explain. You wouldn't by chance happen to know where I could find a reputable source for new k03 compressor wheel would you? Mine is pretty rough due to the po using a K&N style filter.

EDIT: Or how about locking the vnt vanes in something like a 3/4 closed position( push-pull cable anyone?) then using the external waste gate to control the boost without involving the vanes at all?
( I'll stop derailing your thread now)
Happy to offer the insight! Not many people are well versed in compounds on vw's so I'm happy to help.

I'd try scroll products in nj. They're done a few rebuilds for me before.

You could lock the vanes and make it a fixed geometry turbo, but I do believe the vanes pulled down to where it will spool well is going to create a very restrictive turbine housing and probably be unnecessarily high on cruising boost. On a stock TDI, the vanes are 60-70% open during a freeway cruise condition. You'll be in far more tried and tested waters running the K03 as an HP.

93-96 4.0L ranger flywheel showed up on friday. I'm a dealer for clutchmasters and had them build me a kevlar kit that should hold 450lbft. It will be here wedneday :).

After doing a snorkel install on a customer's Grand Cherokee CRD, I decided this ranger is going to get one also. Googled around and picked up a 90-97 toyota land cruiser snorkel kit for $60 shipped from ebay.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals