• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B3000 TDI swap

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Whipped up a pulley hub to remove the clutch fan

Got some awesome news today! After calling more wrecking yards than I can count, I finally scored a complete 03 fx4 manual t case shifter linkage, both shifter arms, boot/bezel, and floor plate with intact boots for $145 shipped :yahoo: :yahoo:. Getting under the truck to shift in/out of 4wd has been getting very annoying lately.

Last edited:

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Clutch showed up today!

Adapter in progress to bolt hp turbo to exhaust manifold.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
Why delete a manual fan, you know what all OEMs prefer to use in normally clocked front engine vehicles? Increasing cost and lower durability seems counter productive.
I'm new to water cooled stuffed (very), my B2 is the very first for me.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why delete a manual fan, you know what all OEMs prefer to use in normally clocked front engine vehicles? Increasing cost and lower durability seems counter productive.
Because the vw clutch fan is small, low mounted, off center, and going to be ~10" away from the ranger radiator.

Finished up the turbo adapter plate.

Last edited:

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Wohoo! Goodie box from a junkyard in Oregon showed up today! I'll finally be able to shift into 4wd without crawling under the truck!

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got the shifter bits installed!

The unobtanium fx4 floor plate

Had to make a custom bolt thingy, bushings, and sleeve as I didn't get them with the shift linkage. Made the center pivot bushing sleeve .020" taller than the delrin bushing so everything would pivot freely. For anyone else doing something similar, the threads in the extension housing are english, not metric! Threw me for a hell of a loop. I'd love to find the engineer responsible for keeping SAE threads on a metric truck.

Finally! Don't know if I want to fix the trim rings for the fx4 boots and make a plate to cover the carpet mismatch or find some 91-97 shift boots.

Last edited:

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Decided to try gluing the fx4 bezel back together and whipped up a quick piece of aluminum to cover the carpet mismatch. I think it turned out well enough for a work truck!

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Got the $58 ebay snorkel installed while I had a quick opening in the shop today. Fits as well as I could hope for a Chinese land cruiser snorkel on a ranger :D.

I'm not bothering to hook it up yet, just doing this in prep for the swap. I'm trying to find a metal canister style air filter from an old gen set/hilo/bobcat. It will be easier to work with for I'm what doing over the stock Ford airbox.

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
your serious?

have you looked under the hood of anything 400 hp and rwd lately?

increase cost...potentially. lower durability. no.

violate kiss principle-yes but benefit can outweigh the penalty.

for what this thing is....electric fan wins every time.

that snorkel....i would shred off of my truck, i have to go out of the top of the cowl....and still fawk em up sometimes. bt if your going near bumper deep water...its worth doing ime.

Die.Fledermaus

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.0 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Total Lift
0"
Tire Size
215/75-15
So funny story, I needed to cross Syskiyou summit (twice, think 4,000 elevation) to retrieve a mark 5 with a bricked DSG and I borrow my neighbors 2500HD. This thing is pretty modern, more cup holders in reach of the driver than I have in my entire fleet, common rail, factory tow package, some sort of self shifting transmission called Allison, air conditioned glove box. But it is 400hp and rear wheel drive.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Wait for it.

Gasp, it has a mechanically driven cooling fan clutch!

Holly crap, I still see this as somewhat normal. Shrug. But I get the length/offset to radiator as a good reason to go electric.

I really don't care. All I was after was what I think is a 160,000 mile BRM (pumpe duse) donor, far from perfect (yet far better than I expected), that I got cheap.

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Photobucket fix works great. Thanks!

Any updates?

I see you have done a few of these swaps. How much intercooler do you usually need? Or to be more specific at what intake temp does timing or fuel get pulled? My ALH swap runs about 30 above ambient when warmed up but I also put the MAP in the intake and I am wondering if that was a mistake and if I should put it immediately post intercooler like stock.

Whitbread

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Photobucket fix works great. Thanks!

Any updates?

I see you have done a few of these swaps. How much intercooler do you usually need? Or to be more specific at what intake temp does timing or fuel get pulled? My ALH swap runs about 30 above ambient when warmed up but I also put the MAP in the intake and I am wondering if that was a mistake and if I should put it immediately post intercooler like stock.
Yes! A huge update actually, my adapter kit FINALLY came in last week so the 3.slow is coming out at 7am tomorrow morning :yahoo:

Since these last pics I also added a overpacked ford clutched limited slip, and a gt500 finned rear cover because it was cheap on ebay.

TD Conversions adapter kit

Also scored a set of cheap 16's from a newer fx4 ranger so I can run some e range 265/75-16's and not be worried about sidewalls blowing out with a bedload of wood.

Last edited:

planeflyer21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice Whitbread!

I'm really looking forward to your progress. Hoping that mine comes together in January or Fedbruary.

Motohead1

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Caint beat Randys adapters. His work is top notch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals