• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B3000 DS 4x4 conversion

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Hey guys,
I'm doing some research on converting a 2002 Mazda B3000 Dual Sport from 4x2 to 4x4. I know everybody says that this is too hard to justify, and that it's better to just sell and save up for a 4x4, but hear me out :)

First of all, I've heard that changing a rear-wheel drive to 4wd requires welding in/relocating a crossmember, but that the Dual Sport option (which I think is the same as the Edge, am I right?) has the same suspension setup as a 4x4 and doesn't need any frame mods. Can anybody confirm/deny this? I'm no expert, although I know I have the torsion bar suspension which looks the same as the 4x4 models...

Otherwise, it sounds like you basically just need the BW1354, both driveshafts, the front axle housing/diff, halfshafts, and hubs, right? I'm sure routing the Tcase shifter and mounting everything on would be a major pain in the butt, but there shouldn't be any extensive frame mods or anything, right?

Thanks for helping out the new guy!

99supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel,3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yes it can be done if you have the torsion bar front suspension. you will need a transmission, transfer case, front differential that match your rear gear ratio, both drive shafts, CV shafts, four wheel drive knuckles, and wheel bearings. If you run 1999 wheel bearings and CV shafts you will need lock outs. if you run 2001 wheel bearings and CV Shafts you won't need lock outs.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You also have to tear the trans completely apart, put the correct output shaft in it, and get an extension housing on it, because a 2wd trans is not just a 4x4 trans with a tail housing bolted in place of the transfer case.

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks! That's sort of what I was thinking! I can't really find much info on the transmission-transfer case connection... Do you replace the extension housing completely once you install the transfer case? It sounds like it's possible to just change out the output shaft/extension housing without having to replace the entire transmission, right? I have the 5spd manual...

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
You have to replace the output shaft, and when you put it back together instead of putting the tail housing (the cone shaped guy) back on you need to replace it with the 4x4 extension housing.

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That makes sense, thanks again for the advice! I was under the truck today, trying to visualize how it would all go together- Is there any exhaust rerouting necessary? It looked like the front driveshaft might interfere with the exhaust, but I was just looking quick and I haven't actually bought the T case yet to measure it exactly...

99supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0 flex fuel,3.0
Transmission
Automatic
There is no exhaust interference with the front drive shaft

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

99RangerBoss

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You may or may not have a hard time finding the right transmission parts for it, the 3.0 4x4 manual trans is a hard find, the rear drive shaft was tough too

Dave18

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
How bad is this output shaft swap? It sounds like you have to disassemble the entire transmission; is it hard to actually move the gears from one shaft to the other and reinstall? I heard somewhere that a press is necessary... I'm just not sure if this is something I could do myself in a clean garage, without damaging anything! From what it sounds like, this would be the most difficult part of the conversion, right?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
How bad is this output shaft swap? It sounds like you have to disassemble the entire transmission; is it hard to actually move the gears from one shaft to the other and reinstall? I heard somewhere that a press is necessary... I'm just not sure if this is something I could do myself in a clean garage, without damaging anything! From what it sounds like, this would be the most difficult part of the conversion, right?
Not necessarily COMPLETELY, but enough to pull the upper gear set out. I'd say 50% as a guess. I'll be doing a write-up on mine but I keep having too much life crap get in the way of mine (however I have a '97, and am doing the frame swap)

Output shafts. 3.0L V6 trucks with a manual trans and 4x4 are pretty common around here? You easiest option is to find another Mazda B series or Ranger with a 3.0L and 4wd and cannibalize it for as many parts that are still good, including the manual transmission. Each transmission only bolts up to one engine. There's a few exceptions, but none for the 3.0L. Also, only another manual trans will work, can't use the automatic stuff. But the good part is, all the internals are the same and the extension housings are the same. So if you find a deal on a 4x4 M5OD-R1, the output shaft and extension housing will swap over.

Somelater 4.0L trucks got this M50D-R1 HD transmission, but I think it was only some synchronizer stuff and some other BS parts they updated a bit (it really wasn't as much as the "HD" branding would imply). The output shaft I believe is still swappable.

Toss your cone to the side, use the 4x4 extension housing in it's place.

Cross member. That, I'm not sure about. There's some other holes in my frame that look like the crossmember can be moved to them, but I haven't tried or measured. You should be able to use the stock, or the one from the donor vehicle with little more than a new drilled hole or two. Honestly though, the holes should already be in the frame.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals