• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

b2 4.0l swap with dash question?

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok first off thanks everyone for all the help that I have read everywhere on here. I am having some mixed information and want help before I start out on this quest.
ok first I have a 85 b2 with a rebuilt a4ld with a carbed 2.8L
I have a 4.0l and explorer frame complete with axles and fuel system(will be swapping axles later)
I know I need to get a fuel injected tank.
I also have heard from a few people that the fuel lines out of the explorer will work on my b2. (true or not need to know so I can go get some b2 ones if thats false)
I know that since I will be using the explorer dash that I will need to use the explorer steering column (I just picked up complete dash assembly and column along with entire underhood wiring from firewall (I plan on doing a 2nd gen front swap))
I have been reading that the lighting will be different for the back end(i.e Brakes turns hazards)
I would like to know what will work and what will not work.
Thank everyone who is on here and I would like to thank all my fellow veterans!

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No body knows anything?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I've just started the same swap as you but I just jumped in without really researching. I don't have the answers you seek and work kinda slowly. You are welcome to check out my build thread;
http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156800
It sounds like you already checked out the tech section at the top of every page, but did you know about the magazine? Also, when searching you will get better results if you use the "google custom search" button also at the top of every page.
Good luck,

Richard

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The wiring for the lights differs in one key aspect between the Ranger/B2 and the Explorer. On the BII the rear lighting is part of the under-body harness and passes through the firewall and then runs back with the wiring for the fuel pump. The Explorer light wiring stays in the cab and runs under the carpet, so it never touches that big connector at the fire wall. When I did my 4.0 I just added the wires for the rear lights to the firewall plug.

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok that's what I was looking for.
I was hoping it wouldn't be to bad. Im not afraid of wiring I just want this ole girl back up and driving asap.

stickboy697

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
bronco II 4.0 Swap questions.

I did an 85 B2 to 1992 ranger 4.0 swap. We swapped the entire dash and pedals (mine was manual to manual, so I can't help much there). I reused the 1985 B2 tank and dropped in a fuel pump from an 1989-1991 B2. We swapped then entire wiring loom from the Ranger into the B2 and have gotten along fine. I will say that the 4.0 certainly woke up the B2's performance and with the lift and larger tires on mine we are still getting decent fuel economy 16-17 with 31's. good luck with your swap!

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Stickboy687 how did you plumb it with metal lines how did you get rubber lines to hold 40psi?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I saw EFI rubber lines by the foot at a local parts place. quite a bit more cost than low pressure line tho.

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
No problem

rangerscout

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I also want to know how to deal with the fuel connections with rubber lines

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just extended the factory explorer lines by about 6ins. the tank connectors from the explorer will fit onto the bronco sending unit. you'll just need to swap the fuel pumps

Lariat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
When life is passing you by, downshift!
Stickboy687 how did you plumb it with metal lines how did you get rubber lines to hold 40psi?
I helped him with the swap, and we actually used hoses from an 89 full size Bronco. I shortened them and spliced them back together with compression fittings. If I remember correctly we had one connector we had to swap due to one being too large for the return line.

BabyBronco89

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
95' 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
this is what i used to connect the plastic/rubber b2 lines to the metal portion of the 4.0 lines keeping the quick disconnects from the 4.0 gas lines and cutting the rubber lines at the b2, just heat the barb end up with a heat gun or propane torch and slide it into the plastic fuel line, it will seal it up very nicely then just cut the hard steel portion and install the compression fitting on it, works very nicely, i had a picture of it on here somewhere but idk where it is atm. they looked like this got them at oriellys auto

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals