• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B2 4.0 Swap

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Will any 91-94 manual ECU work? or does is have to be a 94 since my donor is a 94?

If I have a Manual 4x4 does the ECU matter?

Also is this the correct/best trans for the 4.0. I found one online. Doesn't say Ford but I think Mazda used the Ford Trans or vis versa.

91-94 Mazda Navajo 4.0L 4WD 5spd Rebuilt Transmission "M5R1 M50D"

Thanks.
Any 91-94 manual 4.0 ECU should work with a 4.0 and manual transmission.

4x4 is not part of the ECU. It’s a separate module for the electric shift t-cases and nothing extra for the manual t-cases.

Mazda was owned by Ford at that point, so yes, the transmission is the same, or should be.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Any 91-94 manual 4.0 ECU should work with a 4.0 and manual transmission....
Yes, but might wanna check with or without EGR if possible. It'd suck to get everything else right and still have a check engine light because the ECU expected EGR that isn't there.

Last edited:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but might wanna check with or without EGR if possible. It'd suck to get everything else right and still have a check engine light the ECU expected EGR that isn't there.
Good point, forgot about that one. EGR was kinda randomly applied to these vehicles

lowsinthe20s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It does have an EGR currently. So I would need a manual ECU with EGR to have no check engine lights. Correct?

Got another transmission question for you gurus . I'm going from auto to manual(M5OD) on the 4.0. Will the auto tail section fit the manual trans or do I need a different tail section?

Thanks.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It does have an EGR currently. So I would need a manual ECU with EGR to have no check engine lights. Correct?

Got another transmission question for you gurus . I'm going from auto to manual(M5OD) on the 4.0. Will the auto tail section fit the manual trans or do I need a different tail section?

Thanks.
Correct, manual ECU with EGR.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by the tail section. Only 2wds have a long tail shaft piece on the transmission. That’s not interchangeable between auto and manual. It’s part of the transmission for 2wds. On 4x4s you have the transmission and the transfer case. The transfer case (Bronco IIs used a 1350 in either manual or electric) will bolt to any 4x4 transmission used in the Ranger or Bronco II chassis and the V-6 Explorer transmissions, same as the 1354 t-case. I’ve been told though that the M5OD though uses a different manual transfer case shifter than the A4LD auto.

lowsinthe20s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Correct, manual ECU with EGR.

I’m not exactly sure what you mean by the tail section. Only 2wds have a long tail shaft piece on the transmission. That’s not interchangeable between auto and manual. It’s part of the transmission for 2wds. On 4x4s you have the transmission and the transfer case. The transfer case (Bronco IIs used a 1350 in either manual or electric) will bolt to any 4x4 transmission used in the Ranger or Bronco II chassis and the V-6 Explorer transmissions, same as the 1354 t-case. I’ve been told though that the M5OD though uses a different manual transfer case shifter than the A4LD auto.

I'm told that the 4wd transmissions has a separate tail section piece that joins the trans and transfer case. I went to order the trans and they told me this piece is not apart of the transmission and I will need it is order to make it work.

Sounds like your saying I will need a different manual transfer case since mine is currently an auto trans, but I can use a 1350 manual transfer case from a 2.9. Is that correct?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm told that the 4wd transmissions has a separate tail section piece that joins the trans and transfer case. I went to order the trans and they told me this piece is not apart of the transmission and I will need it is order to make it work.

Sounds like your saying I will need a different manual transfer case since mine is currently an auto trans, but I can use a 1350 manual transfer case from a 2.9. Is that correct?
You can use your manual transfer case, you just need a different shift lever. The shift levers for the transfer cases are specific to the transmission.

I’m a bit confused as to why the place you are getting the transmission from does not include that piece. They are making it sound like you bolt a 2wd or 4x4 tail section to the transmission to do whatever you need it for. To the best of my knowledge, that’s not how it works. It would make finding transmissions easier if that’s all there was to it, so I’m kinda confused as to why they aren’t selling a complete 4x4 transmission.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All Ranger transmissions were/are made as a 2WD OR a 4WD version
Yes one of the differences was the rear housing which does unbolt from main body of transmission
Other difference, which is the bigger deal, is that the Output shaft inside the transmission has to be shorter for a 4WD, not easy to change this

Transmission model number can be the same, that has to do with the gears and internal parts, but same model number came in a 2WD or 4WD version which are not the same or interchangeable

lowsinthe20s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can use your manual transfer case, you just need a different shift lever. The shift levers for the transfer cases are specific to the transmission.

I’m a bit confused as to why the place you are getting the transmission from does not include that piece. They are making it sound like you bolt a 2wd or 4x4 tail section to the transmission to do whatever you need it for. To the best of my knowledge, that’s not how it works. It would make finding transmissions easier if that’s all there was to it, so I’m kinda confused as to why they aren’t selling a complete 4x4 transmission.

I'm confused as well. Doesn't make since. Guess I'll keep shopping that piece is pretty pricy. Only found two on eBay.

lowsinthe20s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
All Ranger transmissions were/are made as a 2WD OR a 4WD version
Yes one of the differences was the rear housing which does unbolt from main body of transmission
Other difference, which is the bigger deal, is that the Output shaft inside the transmission has to be shorter for a 4WD, not easy to change this

Transmission model number can be the same, that has to do with the gears and internal parts, but same model number came in a 2WD or 4WD version which are not the same or interchangeable

So are you saying if I have a auto 4x4 trans the rear housing should fit a manual 4x4 trans ?

Astro_fusion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pretty sure a 4x4 M5OD does not share the same rear housing as the A4LD. The rear housing on the M5OD is structural to the reverse and overdrive clusters (locates the bearings). If you are buying a reman online they are assuming that you are replacing exactly what you have so you would already have that housing. These transmissions are a dime a dozen in the junkyards and usually cost 2-300, then if you want a rebuild kit is about the same cost, or just go yank the tail housing and shifter assembly you need.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No I am saying you have to use a 4x4 trans if you want to use a transfer case with it

lowsinthe20s

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Pretty sure a 4x4 M5OD does not share the same rear housing as the A4LD. The rear housing on the M5OD is structural to the reverse and overdrive clusters (locates the bearings). If you are buying a reman online they are assuming that you are replacing exactly what you have so you would already have that housing. These transmissions are a dime a dozen in the junkyards and usually cost 2-300, then if you want a rebuild kit is about the same cost, or just go yank the tail housing and shifter assembly you need.

Since that is what it looks like without the tail section. I'm even more surprised it's not included.

I have checked with a few yards but no luck.

Astro_fusion

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Since that is what it looks like without the tail section. I'm even more surprised it's not included.

I have checked with a few yards but no luck.
They are out there... took me 2 weeks of keeping an eye on yard inventories here in socal. A brief search and I see 2 potential donors (kinda need to pick up a spare m5od), not sure what Florida has for pull your own part yards, but you're below the rust belt so explorers/navajos and rangers/b4000's should still be in the yards. Most yards have their inventories online with a pic of the dash and exterior too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals