• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

B1342 and P0500

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
So i like to scan my Ranger once or twice a month to make sure everything is in tip top shape. There is no CEL, but i scanned it anyways
The scanner read

B1342 - no definition, but searching online, its ABS related

P0500 - Speed Sensor Malfunction, Speedometer works, transmission shifts fine
^This is a code i get from time to time

The ABS light wasn't ON but turns out the bulb was burnt out lol so YES the ABS light is ON

i still get the P0325 from time to time but apparently these trucks don't have a knock sensor?? So i'm not worried about it. i posted about it a few months back https://www.therangerstation.com/forums/index.php?threads/p0325.180018/

The truck runs OK, there are 2 other issues i would like to address but will save for another thread.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The b1234 code is vehicle specific. It can mean practically anything depending on the vehicle. Need to check the ford rangers version of that code

The VSS sensor can cause an ABS light. It's simple to replace.

As far as the knock sensor, it was my understanding knock sensors were added to the later 3.0's. They are known for knocking/pinging issues.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
P1342 is an ABS module fault

In 2002 Rangers the OSS(output shaft speed) sensor is connected directly to the PCM(computer), PCM uses that signal for final ratio output, shifting

P0500 in a 2002 could be ABS issue as well, 4wheel ABS does send out an adjusted speed signal to the PCM, GEM, cruise, and speedometer
Speedometer working fine doesn't mean the signal is perfect
The OSS and 4WABS signals should match up, or P0500

eREdge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
The b1234 code is vehicle specific. It can mean practically anything depending on the vehicle. Need to check the ford rangers version of that code

The VSS sensor can cause an ABS light. It's simple to replace.

As far as the knock sensor, it was my understanding knock sensors were added to the later 3.0's. They are known for knocking/pinging issues.
i couldn't find anything about the sensor when i first got the code for my specific year and engine. it doesnt throw an engine light and some scanners don't pick it up.

P1342 is an ABS module fault

In 2002 Rangers the OSS(output shaft speed) sensor is connected directly to the PCM(computer), PCM uses that signal for final ratio output, shifting

P0500 in a 2002 could be ABS issue as well, 4wheel ABS does send out an adjusted speed signal to the PCM, GEM, cruise, and speedometer
Speedometer working fine doesn't mean the signal is perfect
The OSS and 4WABS signals should match up, or P0500
Is the module by the battery and does that mean i have to replace it? Will it need reprogramming? Will a module from any 2x4 ranger work or is there something specific?

This is probably a reach, but what are the chances of a faulty pcm? The truck runs and brakes as it should. Yet, its throwing 3 codes with no symptoms? and theres this intermittent issue where it idles real high when i put it in park after a drive. it goes away after i restart the truck. it has new MAF, IAC valve and TPS.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals