• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

axle pinion/companion flanges?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I got the best driveshaft I could for my 85 Ranger. It's from a 90 Ranger. The flange on the axle increased in diameter for the 90 models. Don't have measurements available, but the pattern on the new driveshaft is as large or larger than the whole flange on the 85 axle.

Long term plan is to install a later 8.8 with the larger flange. In interest of time, effort, and getting the truck to move under its own power, I'm wondering what it would take to connect this large flange driveshaft to the small flange 7.5 axle. I'm also curious as to how it'll drive with the existing axle and gear ratio.

I have two driveshafts with the smaller bolt pattern yoke, but they have the smaller u-joints so I can't swap the yoke to the new driveshaft. No one makes a conversion u-joint for that either that I've found.

Will the 7.5 and 8.8 pinion flanges interchange? I was thinking I would have to completely reset up the gears if I did that, but then I read this article about changing the pinion seal. If its as simple as remove one yoke, install the other yoke, I can easily get my hands on an 8.8 large pattern pinion flange at no cost. I don't think its that simple, but had to ask.

If that doesn't work I saw this driveshaft yoke, spicer P/N N2-2-939, for the 1310 joints and Ford 3.5" bolt circle (2.5 x 2.5 square). I don't know what that small pattern on the Ranger is and it may be a few days before I have time to climb back under ther with a tape measure. Would that work to replace the large patern yoke and bolt this driveshaft to the 7.5?

If I do that yoke swap, is there any chance I could re-use the existing u-joint? I've only ever removed a broken one so I don't know if they are salvagable. The felt good when I pulled the driveshaft. I have got a shop press, so I can remove them properly rather than hammering away on the floor like last time I did it.

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Well I guess I'm going to find out about that spicer 2-2-939 yoke. Found one on Amazon warehouse open box for $15, so I bought it to try. Amazon so if it don't fit I can always return it.

From a quick glance at the 90 drive shaft before work, it looks like the yoke on it has the larger flange pattern I saw on the website linked above. Guestimating, and hoping Ford didn't have a half-dozen different flange patterns on the 7.5, the flange on the 85 Ranger axle should match the small pattern.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
This is the website I used to get all the answers I needed to know what yoke to use and what flanges to use for my v8 swap from 7.5" to 8.8 rearend with a t5.alot of useful info on here.hope this helps. https://www.dennysdriveshaft.com/how_to_measure.html

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's actually the site I liked to above. Didn't have the info I was looking for, but I think I've got what I need on the way.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals