• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AVM Manual Locking Hubs for 98 Ranger

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Sorry I forgot all about it, here is the picture I was referring to.

dangerranger911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
thats funny i definitely would writing the company a nasty gram if hubs kept breaking like that.asking get my money back thats bull i would understand if it where $20 but $160.

akalogan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
Here is my question. How do these online stores get certified? I went to the web site after reading this forum and they claimed to be online certified. Now that I have heard of there crap-assed dealings I wonder how much that certificate actually means?

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had my current set (set #2) for probably about a year and a half now. They are holding up surprisingly well with an Aussie locker and 33" tires under some pretty hard abuse. I've been using my 4 wheel an awful lot recently too, but I always have a bag of zipties handy just in case.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was just bout to order mine 5 min ago until I read this, Now im confused. You guys think I should buy them or just permanent lock the oem hubs? Would the perm lock harm anything?? Help needed guys. Thanx

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think they are great aside from the problems I had with them. However if you permanently lock them you won't have to spend any money and it will not harm anything other than your fuel mileage (if it is even noticable at all). Permanently locking them is no different than having a '01-up Ranger 4x4. It all comes down to what you prefer. Personally I like having them, but if I broke/lost another set I would just swap over to the live axle setup instead of buying another set of the AVM's.

Edit: I just noticed you're from Rio Grande City, is that the Rio Grande in Jersey?

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I think they are great aside from the problems I had with them. However if you permanently lock them you won't have to spend any money and it will not harm anything other than your fuel mileage (if it is even noticable at all). Permanently locking them is no different than having a '01-up Ranger 4x4. It all comes down to what you prefer. Personally I like having them, but if I broke/lost another set I would just swap over to the live axle setup instead of buying another set of the AVM's.

Edit: I just noticed you're from Rio Grande City, is that the Rio Grande in Jersey?
What can be done to avoid those problems u had with the AVM?
I searched and most common was that they fall off or something like that, They fall from the rotor? or does it fall apart? Right now I have them locked inn, but had to remove the front driveshaft due to vibration, since I brought this up, what could be this problem? front ujoint looks ok, what about the other end(transfer-case end). Anything to check there? Damn, SORRY ABOUT THE 100 QUESTIONS... And no, Its Rio Grande City, Texas. Thanx buddy.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Have you gusy tried to find another dealer besides where you bought them to see if they will honor the warranty?

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What can be done to avoid those problems u had with the AVM?
I searched and most common was that they fall off or something like that, They fall from the rotor? or does it fall apart? Right now I have them locked inn, but had to remove the front driveshaft due to vibration, since I brought this up, what could be this problem? front ujoint looks ok, what about the other end(transfer-case end). Anything to check there? Damn, SORRY ABOUT THE 100 QUESTIONS... And no, Its Rio Grande City, Texas. Thanx buddy.
They fall off the hub and you never see them again. Nothing you can do that I'm aware of. As for your problem I'd say check all the u-joint and the cv joint in the driveshaft. Make sure it isn't bent, it is possible that it is off balance.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
They fall off the hub and you never see them again. Nothing you can do that I'm aware of. As for your problem I'd say check all the u-joint and the cv joint in the driveshaft. Make sure it isn't bent, it is possible that it is off balance.
The front driveshaft has alot of play on the cv joint end not the u-joint. The rubber boot has a rip all across. It has up/down play and makes a popping sound. The CV can also be moved in and out, but not sure if thats normal.

kennykenny

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like the CV joint may be bad, it shouldn't move around like that.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like the CV joint may be bad, it shouldn't move around like that.
Thats what I assumed. The driveshaft cv joint isnt replaceable, right?
Prolly need another one whit no play.

Damn I jus stole somebody elses thread. Sorry guy.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
I had a set of AVMs and the c clip holding my halfshaft in the hub broke and the cv axle was flinging around and it shredded both my AVMs, unfortunately... Those little plastic clip things holding the innards of the hub together broke on one and the other one was just totally exploded. So i put the hub back on each side and just put the two gears in the hubs on the halfshaft in a manner so they're permanently locked for now, im not sure whether i should drop the 130 on a new set of AVMs or whether or not i should get a set of stockers..... this is just frustrating to me that they would use plastic for the innards, whether its military grade or not, its plastic.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I had a set of AVMs and the c clip holding my halfshaft in the hub broke and the cv axle was flinging around and it shredded both my AVMs, unfortunately... Those little plastic clip things holding the innards of the hub together broke on one and the other one was just totally exploded. So i put the hub back on each side and just put the two gears in the hubs on the halfshaft in a manner so they're permanently locked for now, im not sure whether i should drop the 130 on a new set of AVMs or whether or not i should get a set of stockers..... this is just frustrating to me that they would use plastic for the innards, whether its military grade or not, its plastic.
Thats exactly what i ask myself. Should I throw $150 or just leave the stocks locked inn. The thing is that I dont use the 4x4 very offten, so ill be wearing down the cv axles and what not, for no reason. Im totally confused on getting them.
Another thing is 60% of my driving is offroad (gravel/caliche) rocky roads, Im having doubts that those AVM wont handle that much hard vibration and bouncy tires.:icon_confused:

wohlf 16

Banned
Solid Axle Swap
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
On the stock pulse vauccum hubs you can still make them selectable. Instead of pulling the hub apart and breaking the clips you can just break the little wagon wheel out of the center. Its been a while since I did this 2 my 99 since I have had the front cut off of it for a year and a half now. If you take that out and keep the inner clips you will be able to lock and unlock them like your pushing a button. If you want it in 4 wheel drive you push the hub clear back and allow it to release fully . If you want free you push it half way until it latches in the clips. Im actually going to do this to my 01 because i have had nothing but trouble with the live axle wheel bearings and my cv shafts are shot.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals