• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AVM Manual Locking Hubs for 98 Ranger

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
Thats exactly what i ask myself. Should I throw $150 or just leave the stocks locked inn. The thing is that I dont use the 4x4 very offten, so ill be wearing down the cv axles and what not, for no reason. Im totally confused on getting them.
Another thing is 60% of my driving is offroad (gravel/caliche) rocky roads, Im having doubts that those AVM wont handle that much hard vibration and bouncy tires.:icon_confused:
Just an FYI for my situation, i wheel a bit and have a torsion bar crank and 33s so i got extra stress but still. You'd think they would do better. I use 4wd quite a bit.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
On the stock pulse vauccum hubs you can still make them selectable. Instead of pulling the hub apart and breaking the clips you can just break the little wagon wheel out of the center. Its been a while since I did this 2 my 99 since I have had the front cut off of it for a year and a half now. If you take that out and keep the inner clips you will be able to lock and unlock them like your pushing a button. If you want it in 4 wheel drive you push the hub clear back and allow it to release fully . If you want free you push it half way until it latches in the clips. Im actually going to do this to my 01 because i have had nothing but trouble with the live axle wheel bearings and my cv shafts are shot.
That sounds good. Ill look in to them. One is all tore up, so i just need one and do that mod. Thanx man.

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Just an FYI for my situation, i wheel a bit and have a torsion bar crank and 33s so i got extra stress but still. You'd think they would do better. I use 4wd quite a bit.
Yep. Well thanx for all your help buddy. Ill figure out what would be best in my situation. I need to buy the front drive shaft pretty soon, then i figure out the hud dilema. Thanx again. Talk 2 u l8er:icon_cheers:

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
np, i wouldn't really be afraid to get another set of AVM hubs because i know that it was the hubs fault for failing, it was that little c-clip that made the shaft whip around blowing the hubs to pieces. I am going to give the stock hub auto to manual thing a try, it'd be really cheap and easy to find a set of stock hubs too and convert em to manuals. And if they break, it wont be as huge a loss

dangerranger911

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to take the plastic retainer clips to a machinist and have him make it out of billet aluminum or something and head the problem from the beginning. just a suggestion. if someone has a retainer clip they could send i could probably get some made.

Last edited:

96Greenster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I had to buy a set of those retainers... $40!!!! for two little "C" plastics!! Dealer only had them, so, whatever... Im prolly going to get me another set of stock hubs and give the manual lock a try. If i findem used, Or at least one...

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
I had to buy a set of those retainers... $40!!!! for two little "C" plastics!! Dealer only had them, so, whatever... Im prolly going to get me another set of stock hubs and give the manual lock a try. If i findem used, Or at least one...
i hear ya man, i paid 40 bucks too for them, im going for the manual lock OEMs too, im done with AVMs for now, they worked great til i shredded mine, i don't blame em, those half shafts were loose and whatnot. the clips got steel in em too, dont forget

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
i know this post is sorta dead but i have a suggestion for the hub coming off problem
what if you were to put a cv boot clamp (crimped kind) or something along those lines on the plastic clips that hold the locking hub on?

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
i know this post is sorta dead but i have a suggestion for the hub coming off problem
what if you were to put a cv boot clamp (crimped kind) or something along those lines on the plastic clips that hold the locking hub on?
I don't see why that wouldnt work, i'd try it! :icon_thumby:

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
it probably wouldn't be a bad thing to take the plastic retainer clips to a machinist and have him make it out of billet aluminum or something and head the problem from the beginning. just a suggestion. if someone has a retainer clip they could send i could probably get some made.
my lord, that piece would be a pain in the ass to make!

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
my lord, that piece would be a pain in the ass to make!
plus how would you get it on the shaft? it would have to flex a little to get it to slide on and get to the groove

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
you would have to make "fingers" so that it would give a little to get in then expand out to lock in place.

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
you would have to make "fingers" so that it would give a little to get in then expand out to lock in place.
what?
:icon_confused:

88gt

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3t swap in prog...
Transmission
Manual
sorry, i was thinking about the clip that holds the hub to the wheel. the plastic clip that broke and were zip tied together ina previous post.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals