• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AVM hub swap, will not keep axles locked in 4x4

allhazy

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 Ranger w/ the PVH 4x4 system, the truck was made before 06/2000 so it does not have the live axle set up. It also has 4 wheel abs, fyi.

In December I changed both hub bearing assemblies, left and right sides. While I was changing the hub bearing assemblies I noticed the steel vacuum lines that connect to the rubber vacuum lines going to the hubs were rotted and one auto hub was a rusty mess and not functioning properly. I decided to put on the new bearing assemblies with the old PVH hubs and wait a pay check or two until I could buy the AVM hubs so I could rid myself of this vacuum problem all together. The bearing assemblies went back on just fine and 4 weeks later I received a set of AVM hubs.

I opened the box, function checked the hubs and installed them just as the instructions said. When I went for a test drive the wheels would not lock in regardless if the hub was in lock or free. I checked and the 4x4 was engaged and working. The axles will spin when the 4x4 in engaged, but not the wheels.

I slid the AVM hubs off and and put them back on slowly. As I pushed the hubs on I also spun the axle, at this point everything works. The hubs will lock the axle and wheel together, but only if the AVM hub is no more than 3/4 of the way on. Just before the hub is all the way seated and the tabs lock in the groove the hubs (both sides) slip in to free wheel.

I got angry and curious, so I punched the plastic dial out of the center of the hub so I could see what was going on. I put the hub gears in the lock position and then put my finger inside the hub as I slid it on the axle (remember I punched out the center). I can feel the locking gear sliding back (in to free wheel) as I push the hub further on.

I checked for obstructions, there is nothing. In order to rule out the axle as the problem I took the bearing assembly and the AVM hub off and put them on the bench. I can clearly see that the spline gears on the bearing assembly are preventing the AVM hub from properly seating when in the lock position.

I called the manufactures of both parts and explained the problem; they both claim I ordered and received the correct parts. (after I convinced them I do not have a live axle set up)

Because the changes made during the 2000 production year I am having a very hard time finding anyone who will take a look at the problem. I am being told to buy all parts necessary to return the truck to the stock vaccum system! haha - no.

I will swap to the explorer axles if necessary, but fixing this problem has now become an addiction for me.

At this point my only guess is I have the wrong bearing assembly???

The invoice from 1 A auto (great customer service btw) says I have wheel bearing assembly part # 1A-SHS-00039 which they say is equal to both the OE part and the Timken part.
I have the AVM hub from Rugged Ridge and that is part # 15001.70 or AVM 470 AVM470.

I asked the local parts store to bring in a bearing hub assemblies from Timken just so I can see for myself, but they wont be in for a few more days and I don't want to spend more money on bearing assemblies if I do not need to.

This is a long post, but I wanted to explain all the information I could. If anyone knows what the problem might be, I am open to all ideas.

This is my daily driver, so taking these parts on and off is getting pretty old.

Thanks.

coolcool1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Help

Hi I have a 99 3.0 4X4 auto, it seems i am having some of these issue's. Maybe we could communicate and get mine dialed in? Send a note and i will call at your liesure. Thanks Bob.

rangertoy

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Solid Axle Swap
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6?
Tire Size
before my SAS, I ordered some bearings from the same place you did and they are crap! (IMO) The bearings are a cheap knock offs. After the unit bearing change I had continuous problems wit h my AVM hubs, and about 6 weeks later the driver side bearing started roaring about 2 minutes later my tire fell off. My previous bearing was from Napa, i drove around for weeks with it making noise and it never came apart. So with all of that said I think your problem is going to be the bearings

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Hmmmm.... I have the AVM hubs on my 1999 Ranger as well. All I had to do was slap them on to replace the vacuum dust caps and done. Maybe poorly machined outer splines on the aftermarket hub, that's all I can think of.

77'cj7

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When i swapped knuckles on my truck for bigger brakes, i replaced the hub units with SKB units. Have worked great for 40k miles or so, and work fine with AVM hubs. Havent tried with the AVM's, but Timkin hubs tend to be high quality also.

Also, start telling the parts guys that yer truck is a 99. Will solve the mid year change confusion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals