• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Available choices for trans swap

Brianb52w

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
I have a 94 ranger with a 2.3 4cyl engine and the A4ld trans . The trans is bad and I am ether gona get it rebuilt or swap in a used one or swap to a manual. I'm told a rebuild will cost me a couple thousand dollars and I will still have a not so good a4ld , and as far as swapping in a used a4ld i think it will be hard to find a good one . I would like to swap in a manual. My question is what to look for. Will a A4ld from a 6 cyl ranger bolt to the 2.3 4cyl, or if I go with a manual what are my choices to salvage one from that t can also get the clutch pedals and the rest of the stuff I will need. I just want to get my truck back on the road.

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
Lima engines have a unique bellhousing bolt pattern so you need a five speed from a four cylinder Ranger. You can use a T5 out of a four cylinder Mustang but there is some fitment issues with the shifter and the hydraulic clutch is not the same as the Ranger's.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
A properly Rebuilt A4LD will be better than 1994 factory A4LD because of the upgrades available now
Read here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.shtml

The rotating part of these transmissions was the same from 1985 to 2011, Ford just added more solenoids to the valve bodies in 1995 and then 2 extra external sensors in 2001
So a 26 year run, it was a reliable transmission IF.............rebuilt properly
Most trans shops had never seen an OD transmission back in the 1980's and early 1990's so didn't really have a clue on how to rebuild them, so.................."it was a bad design" would be their reaction when their rebuilds only lasted a year, lol
"A poor workman blames his tools", has always been that way and always will be that way, so avoid "poor workmen"

Your best manual swap will be a M5OD-R1(M5R1) transmission from a 1988-1997 2.3l 2WD Ranger, or 1994-1997 Mazda B2300
(2001-2011 Ranger 2.3l was a different engine so can't be used on your 1994 2.3l)

M5R1 is trans model number NOT what it fits, like Ranger is Ford Model but doesn't tell you engine size or 2WD or 4x4, just a Model designation

1997 was the last year of the speedometer cable hook up on tail shift housing which you need on 1994 Ranger

You will need the clutch/brake pedal assemble for 1994
The clutch master and clutch set(pressure plate, disc and slave)
2.3l Flywheel
And manual trans drive shaft for your Ranger model, i.e. regular cab, extended cab or long bed, they are all different lengths
Manual trans floor plate and boot

optional is a manual trans steering column to get rid of current automatic shifter

Brianb52w

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Thanks for all the info, It seems that a 2.3 , 2wd ranger with a manual transmission is a rare find , every ranger I see is automatic trans.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
That's because the manuals are still working, lol

2.3l was more common with manual transmissions because people who opted for a 4cyl engine wanted better MPG so always went with manual trans

People who wanted towing power went with V6 and automatic

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
You will need the clutch/brake pedal assemble for 1994
The clutch master and clutch set(pressure plate, disc and slave)
2.3l Flywheel
And manual trans drive shaft for your Ranger model, i.e. regular cab, extended cab or long bed, they are all different lengths
Manual trans floor plate and boot

optional is a manual trans steering column to get rid of current automatic shifter
Good list.
You'll also need a 2.3 automatic trans ECM, as it controls the transmission solenoids.
Make sure that you get the triple function switch with the clutch/brake pedal assembly. It'll plug into your existing harness in place of a jumper plug that's there now.
You'll probably need the short harness from the engine harness to the trans, as the plugs on the two trannys are different, but both types should just plug into the engine harness the same.
A '93 or '94 donor truck will be your ideal victim for all of the parts needed (starting '95 it'll be the different OBD2 ECM).
If you also nab a manual steering column, don't forget to grab the PRNDL indicator blocking plate from the cluster (easy to remove with the column gone).

I would like to swap in a manual.
Sticks are a lot more fun. Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals