• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

auxiliary lighting

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
well since I drive late at night on my way home from work, Ive been considering extra lights. Im really out of the loop on this, I was considering something like KC daylighters mounted to my grill guard. My drive home starts at 2 am and I rarely see another car, just wildlife lurking by the road on occasion. the stock lights just arent that great in the dead of night out here in the country. Well KC daylighters seem to be obsolete, theres so many led options it aint funny, I really dont want a lightbar, and these new light ratings are a mystery to me. Ive found one thing I like, think I could mount it in the middle of the grille guard. Its a sylvania 2 in 1 6” light, $100. says its 3,000 or something in regards to the lighting number (lumens now?) what all would be enough? I like the dual function, but wow- $100? Yes im old, I remember getting auxiliary lights in a kit for 50 or less.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Every truck I've ever had I installed large foglights on them to avoid hitting deer. I run them on the highway according to state law, so they're turned off within 500ft of an oncoming vehicle. I run two 100 watt halogens on everything.

I don't care what people say about LED lights. The color is usually "off" on most lights that are somewhat affordable. You simply can't go wrong with halogens and the human eye likes the light they put out.

Right now I'm running Hella 700ff's which are 7" lights, but I upgraded the harness and relay and switched to 100 watt bulbs. I can see deer 1/4 mile away with ease. Stupid bright. I carry spare bulbs in the glovebox because the 100 watt version's lifespan isn't nearly as long as the 55 watt bulbs.

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/products/auxiliary-lamps/halogen-lamps/700ff-series/

https://www.amazon.com/HELLA-H3-100W-High-Wattage/dp/B00IKLLAIC

I used to run KC daylighters on my old 89 Ranger. Three of them. All 100 watts each. Blinding bright.

But, fingers crossed, I've never hit a deer. So it's been a worthwhile investment..

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
thats why Im wanting them, Im rather tired by 2 am after working 10 hrs, may put a floor dimmer switch in as my on/off switch. I’ll have to look harder for plain halogen lights. bad thing about winter coming- led’s dont get warm and snow will build up on lights and wont melt off. Id rather have the “old school” look anyways, fits my truck better.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
×2, stay away from any & all LED lights if you want good distance.

HID lights generally penetrate well into the darkness, however they also tend to generate a lot of radio interference (static) and can wipe out your reception (especially on 2-way radios).

For me it's good-ol' halogen.
I have two of these on my front bumper (driving beam pattern):

I had planned to upgrade them to 100W bulbs, but the damn things are so freaking bright already, I've found no need to. If you're on the lookout for deer, then these should not disappoint. They are very well-constructed too (should not vibrate at all, provided your mount is sturdy). Yes, they do cost more than the cheap junk at Wal-Mart, but IMO they're very much worth it.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
LED fan here.

Only time I have trouble with them is heavy snow. They get as hot as regular lights, so no worries about snow.and ice buildup, but the white color tends to highlight the falling flakes. Still, not bad considering I can see much better with them than I can with halogen or HID lights.

Went with Partsam brand for drop-ins for the sealed beams, and Nilight for my brush guard.

Have owned dozens of Nilight lights on various work trucks. Love them. Can't beat the warranty or price, and they're stupid bright.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can use a 12v relay on the High beam wire at either head light to activate any added lights, much simpler to add than a separate switch
And you're already used to turning off high beams with on coming traffic

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
×2, stay away from any & all LED lights if you want good distance.
i dont know man. id say stay away from amazon (chinese) led lights.... i recently switched over from Hella 55WATT HID to some baja design LEDS and im getting a TON more light at an insanely far distance from a smaller light package. led lighting has come a long way.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
eBay/amazon LEDs suck. Spend the money on good ones.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
i dont know man. id say stay away from amazon (chinese) led lights.... i recently switched over from Hella 55WATT HID to some baja design LEDS and im getting a TON more light at an insanely far distance from a smaller light package. led lighting has come a long way.
I have checked out Baja Design's lights... For sure they do seem to be among the best in LED off-road stuff, but they are still a bit too bluish for my liking (they claim to use 5000°K LEDs, where most others are in the 6000-6500K range).
My problem with LEDs is their spike in output deep in the blue-light part of the spectrum, with little output of green-yellow-red light (this is a limitation of phosphor-based LEDs, and has little to do with their quality). Too much blue light increases glare, especially at close range (not to mention renders colors poorly). This spike increases with color temperature... Past about 4500°K, the glare gets to be enough that I find other light types such as halogen to be better. Only thing with halogen is you can't buy cheap garbage (good quality halogen lights seem to start at around $150 or so/pair, and use a H1 style bulb). Of course I guess this is true of anything you'd buy if you want good performance.

If BD or anyone else of similar quality had some LED offerings in the range of 3500-4000°K (a.k.a neutral-white or warm-white), my opinion about LEDs would probably be different.

JOLENE_THE_RANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I have checked out Baja Design's lights... For sure they do seem to be among the best in LED off-road stuff, but they are still a bit too bluish for my liking (they claim to use 5000°K LEDs, where most others are in the 6000-6500K range).
My problem with LEDs is their spike in output deep in the blue-light part of the spectrum, with little output of green-yellow-red light (this is a limitation of phosphor-based LEDs, and has little to do with their quality). Too much blue light increases glare, especially at close range (not to mention renders colors poorly). This spike increases with color temperature... Past about 4500°K, the glare gets to be enough that I find other light types such as halogen to be better. Only thing with halogen is you can't buy cheap garbage (good quality halogen lights seem to start at around $150 or so/pair, and use a H1 style bulb). Of course I guess this is true of anything you'd buy if you want good performance.

If BD or anyone else of similar quality had some LED offerings in the range of 3500-4000°K (a.k.a neutral-white or warm-white), my opinion about LEDs would probably be different.
yeah i know what you mean. while theirs are much whiter than others, it does give dust glare. thats why they have the amber bars and white/amber combo BARS. the amber cuts right through dust! sadly, no amber options i know of for the pod lights unless they have started making different lenses now

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals