• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Automatic Transmission OD problem

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Got my Mustang back yesterday. Ended up being a broken snap ring inside the transmission did a lot of damage. My friend Rick rebuilt the transmission from the bottom up, and all is good. He said it appeared that the thing had been rebuilt in the past, and the snap ring that broke wasn't supposed to be there at all.

55trucker

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
-
Total Drop
mild
I have a '95 Ranger XLT extended cab 4 X 4 with an automatic. It has been kicking out of overdrive lately and sometimes the O?D light will flash on and off. I read where it might be the speed sensor so I bought one and there's nothing where it should go. It shows it at the back of the transmission before the transfer case up on to of the drivers side. But there's nothing there. I'm not sure which transmission I have now. Can someone give me a heads up on what's going on with it? Thanks
Have a look at this article, seems the manager at the shop you took the truck to wasn't very forthcoming with detailed information.....

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I find alot of transmission shops are like that. They either just say "it's dead" no matter what because they want to sell you a new transmission, or if it is fixable they want to get the work so it's not in their best interest to give you the diagnostic info so you can fix it yourself.

A good shop should give you a print out of what they find, codes and all so you can make an informed decision on what to do from there.

spaceghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Automatic
Well, it looks like the shop that I took it to is going to do the right thing and put one that I bought into it for free. I bought one that has 96,000 miles on it for $750.00. I guess it could have been a lot worse. I'm debating whether to try and fix my old one to keep as a spare. With all the info I've gotten on here, I might be able to just fix it!! Before they take the old one out I'll tell them to get any codes off of it to give me a better idea of whether it's worth fixing or not. I'll put them up here so you can tell me. Thanks to everyone for the info!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals