• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto transmission question

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian

Have been interested in this ranger..the trans have never been rebuilt, only fluid and filter changes. With that miles on it, haven't ever owned a ranger with this auto transmission, have driven many. Have also heard horror stories. If these autos are maintained, what's thier life expectancy? Don't wanna buy it and have to do a trans rebuild. Any help is appreciated.

2011Supercab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota Tacoma
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If these autos are maintained, what's thier life expectancy?
If that is 224,000 miles on that transmission.

Has the transmission had regular fluid/filter changes, at that mileage I would hope that it's had 4 or 5 changes.

Sure would like to have seen the old fluids, I think he's hiding something, even with all those new parts.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Wouldn't trust it unless the seller can provide documentation that the transmission fluid and filter was changed regularly. The A4LD is a pretty failure prone transmission, and after my dealings with 2 in a 93 Ranger and 1 in a Bronco 2 I'd never buy anything with one again. I'll stick to the manual transmission LOL.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Automatics generally last 250k miles, average, so some fail earlier some last longer
The clutches and bands wear out, friction material, same as clutch wears out on manual trans or brake pads/shoes wear out
Without service other stuff breaks

People like "horror stories" about Automatics, not sure why?
Most likely has to do more with transmission shops than transmission design

Ford used the same OverDrive automatic in Rangers from 1985 thru 2011, 26 years, so it is a good design

Trans shop can do a minimum rebuild, clutches and bands only, and trans will last another 12 to 18months
Good rebuild will last another 200+k miles, same as new

There are some poorly designed automatics, but Rangers didn't use those
Manual transmission is about the same as an engine as far as diagnosis and repairs

Automatics are WAY more complicated to diagnose, because they have many interdependent systems
So people can get frustrated if there is a problem and no one can tell them EXACTLY what part has failed, best guess is all you can hope for until transmission has been torn apart

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Automatics generally last 250k miles, average, so some fail earlier some last longer
The clutches and bands wear out, friction material, same as clutch wears out on manual trans or brake pads/shoes wear out
Without service other stuff breaks

People like "horror stories" about Automatics, not sure why?
Most likely has to do more with transmission shops than transmission design

Ford used the same OverDrive automatic in Rangers from 1985 thru 2011, 26 years, so it is a good design

Trans shop can do a minimum rebuild, clutches and bands only, and trans will last another 12 to 18months
Good rebuild will last another 200+k miles, same as new

There are some poorly designed automatics, but Rangers didn't use those
Manual transmission is about the same as an engine as far as diagnosis and repairs

Automatics are WAY more complicated to diagnose, because they have many interdependent systems
So people can get frustrated if there is a problem and no one can tell them EXACTLY what part has failed, best guess is all you can hope for until transmission has been torn apart
When the transmission in my Bronco 2 was rebuilt by AAMCO, they really couldn't tell me much without a complete teardown, makes sense given there's no way to really tell what's broke and/or worn out without a visual inspection...however the A4LD's are pretty failure prone due to abuse and neglect, which is why so many of us don't recommend them, no matter who does the rebuild, they just extend a ticking time bomb because of poor rebuild shops. Even with auxiliary coolers, and "beefed up" components they're still the weak link...same goes for clutches, if you abuse them, they are the weak link.

The "A4LD" got renamed so many times as they tried to re-engineer them into different transmissions, but they seemed to have kept making them under different names and adding gears per-se...the newer ones tended to have less issues it seemed as time went on and they found the problems and fixed them, but it seemed like the early 80's to mid 80's were the biggest problems....a good transmission shop will do the rebuilds on them properly and they'll last, its one of those you get what you pay for type things. A no-name shop typically only replaces friction plates and discs and bands, and leaves the rest of the problems in the transmission to just wear out the same components over and over...a valve body has a lot of places for failures too and all those tiny little passages in them make for great places for debris to get stuck in and cause all sorts of problems, and will take out a transmission in short order.

One huge problem is people tend to skip routine maintenance and by the time the 3rd or 4th owner gets them they're all clapped out...so our response is well that pile of crap automatic transmission is the problem every single time, so the transmission itself gets the bad reputation, rather than blaming the right thing, the previous owner(s) and their complete neglect of simple maintenance.

My 93 Ranger had a bad transmission when I got it, the shop that rebuilt it did a terrible job, 13 months later it blew up again...sold the truck for $700 and let someone else deal with that problem LOL. My Bronco 2 got me 30 miles home after I bought it but had no overdrive. AAMCO did the rebuild and replaced practically everything it seemed, that got expensive real quick. AAMCO gets bad reviews too, but I think some of that boils down to the customers wanting to take the cheap way out on everything, rather than just doing it right, it'll cost a bit more, but it'll still be working for years rather than months LOL. Luckily my AAMCO had a retired Ford tech working for them and did the rebuild....he's seen a few of the A4LD's over the years LOL.

If you buy used, which is the only way you are gonna run across one of the A4LD variants now, if they can't provide any documentation of regular transmission service I'd avoid it. A transmission drain, filter replacement, and new fluid every couple years is a heck of a lot cheaper than a transmission or a rebuild, which we all know if you keep a vehicle long enough you are gonna be having it rebuilt anyways, but to keep it going as long as possible keep up with maintenance.

rumblecloud

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1-1/2 inch front leveling
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
31/10.50/15
My credo
What's the worst that could happen?
Well...the posting is gone now, so they either sold it already or they gave up and decided to keep it :unsure:

I must be one of the odd lucky ones - no comments from the peanut gallery please -- my 94 with the A4LD is still hanging on. I can't say I've had it maintained on a regular basis either. 216 and counting. It seems ok.

I know now that I've mentioned it, it's prolly gonna blow though.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
> what's thier life expectancy?

At 140,000 start keeping your fingers crossed as that is when they have started to fail in my Bronco IIs. My only Ranger (1997 4.0 4x4) was a manual. The A4LD in my 1995 Aerostar (bought new) lasted 180,000+ miles with exceptional care, but, my wife ran it dry one day and it failed about 10k after that. Rotating the tires, I actually got over 70,000 miles out of the original Michelin tires that came on it from the factory. I changed the transmission fluid every 20-30k in the Aerostar and after seeing the expense and cost people went through when the Dana 28 nuked itself on the AWD Aerostars,when working in the service department, I changed my front axle fluid about the same time.

The 3.0L/AT is a dog combo imho. Which you will be reminded of every time you change the oil filter. I rather have the 2.3L/MT or 4,0L/AT or 4.0L/MT.

I always assume any vehicle over 25 years old will need an automatic transmission rebuild when I buy it. Though I have had very good fortune with C-6 transmissions.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
In general the parts that wear out, clutches and bands(brakes), last 250k miles because they are fluid cooled
Manual trans clutch lasts 80-120k miles, front wheel brakes 30-50k miles, don't recomend fluid cooling these, lol

Most premature auto trans failures are not related to clutches and bands, valve body leaks or major component(Sprags) failure are the usual suspects
It happens, same as burnt exhaust valves in engines, just comes with the territory

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So… the 3.0/auto combo is a dog, IMHO. The shift points don’t make use of the powerband of the 3.0

That said, I think a lot of the A4LD problems can be traced to a severe lack of maintenance and overheating. IIRC, the 2nd and 3rd bands were supposed to be adjusted every 20-30k. Arguably the fluid and filter should be changed at 50k at the most. The shifting tends to be sloppy, even with the bands adjusted. Sloppy shifts add heat. Slipping bands because they’re not adjusted add heat. Heat is the enemy. Of course, there are some weak parts in early versions, and there are upgraded components available.

My 92 had the typical sloppy A4LD. I did a fluid and filter change, replaced the torque converter (it was suspected that it was going and I had the engine out), did a shift kit and all valve body upgrades, and got the bands somewhat adjusted (the adjustment bolts were too rusty to get a proper adjustment but it was better than what it was). Totally different animal. Clean shifts, no more slop, able to light up the tires by hitting the go pedal too hard.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
More or less the A4LD gets a terrible reputation because of the large number of failures they have, although not exactly any worse than other automatics, its just used in so many applications over the years starting in 1985 that, well with many people skipping routine maintenance alone the failures began early on, and everyone just learned to hate them. 93 Ranger ate 2 A4LD's, the 2nd one I think could have been prevented if we would have chosen a better transmission shop. 88 Bronco 2 ate 1, and I think that was solely due to the previous owner's abuse and neglect. They towed the thing behind their RV, and left the hubs locked which started the cooking process of that transmission, when I got it overdrive wasn't existent, AAMCO rebuilt it and supposedly did updates and upgrades...then sometime between then and the engine replacement parts weren't put back in or not torqued properly so other issues arose. When I got that Bronco 2 it didn't have a transmission cooler, so I had one added.

I think one thing that the A4LD gets trashed for is the general lack of knowledge people have of automatic transmission leads people to just hate them....the A4LD was used in a very popular compact pickup...the Ranger, and used behind several different engines from 4 cylinders to the 4L V6. I don't think it was ever used behind any V8's.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals