• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

auto trans no forward gears

TroutFinder

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, bone stock with k&n drop in.
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you in advance to any who may have some insight on this issue.

2000 Ford Ranger pickup.
XLT extended cab
4.0 liter OHV V-6 (New head castings)
5 speed automatic transmission (Trans. Shop rebuild approx. 35,000 mi. ago)
4 wheel drive (electric hubs)
The pickup runs very well. The transmission, after rebuild, worked flawlessly. Admittedly the slip yolk deal needs the new grease. But the transmission shifts smooth and no perceptible slip in any gear. Until…
On the way to work (16 mile drive over hilly country road) the transmission began behaving erratically. It could not decide which gear it wanted to be in and began seemingly to slip drastically in all gears. I was within 100yards of my work when it stopped. In any forward gear there was load on the motor but would not move forward at all. Motor revved with apparent load but no forward propulsion. A couple of guys helped me push it into a park slot.
After work I got a quart of Mercon. Started it up and let it idle until warm. I checked the fluid level at this time and did not show as low. In the upper part of the hash marks. I know that I probably should not have, but I added enough Mercon to the top of the hash marks. Reverse engaged perfectly and moved. Place the shifter into D. and nothing happened. 3 or 5 seconds passed and it engaged. I drove it home and none of the erratic behavior of earlier. Shifted as it should.
Once home I shifted it into reverse, no problem. Back into D. 14+ seconds before it engaged. Checked fluid again and was as I left it. After cooling overnight, started and into reverse, perfect. Into D. 3-5 seconds delay. Drove it until hot and shift into N. and back to D. 9 seconds delay. It seemed that if I shifted all the way down to 1. It would engage just a little faster, but… probably not. So cold=3-5 second delay, hot=14-24 second delay. This condition continued for about 6 days. I have been busy and broke so I did not take it in. Yes, I know I should have.
Now it will not engage is any forward gear at all. Left for 5 minutes, nothing. Reverse still works perfectly. No forward propulsion.
Fluid is a little cloudy and looks more brown then red, with no pronounced, unexpected odor.
The OBD2 shows no codes. I reset the computer by disconnecting both battery cables and turning on headlight switch for 15 minutes. Still nothing. Not even “limp home”.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You have a 5R55E in a 2000 Ranger 4.0l

Reads like the one-way clutch(sprag) has failed
Was it replaced on the rebuild, it should have been unless it was just a soft parts rebuild(clutches and bands only)
Generally a soft parts only rebuild will last 12-18months
You can try 1st but may not work

Wouldn't have mattered if you "took it in" sooner, if it is the sprag then it was already done when you noticed the delay

The solenoids can't prevent transmission going into gear, that's a mechanical linkage, they can only cause delayed or harsh shifting once you are moving
And no codes would indicate they are working

ATF fluid pressure can prevent engagement, forward requires 110-125psi, but Reverse requires 160+psi, which is why reverse is often lost first when there is a pressure issue inside the transmission
In your case pressure is not the issue since reverse works

This is ALL GUESSING, no facts involved, lol

If you drain the fluid look for metal bits/filings, that would be a sign of sprag failing

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals