• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto-Shift Lever and Linkage issues, Need Help Confirming Model (modified by PO?)

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
So I got the linkage adjuster clip mechanism / housing detached from the mount bracket. There’s a little detach-pin thing that you press in and then you can slide it out.

But I still can’t for the life of me figure out how to get the mechanism to be adjustable. I was figuring that once I had the thing out that it then would be easily adjustable, thinking the mount held the clip around the shaft teeth.

But it’s not doing anything. Anybody ever adjusted this kind of clip?

If I understand the system correctly, pushing this thing inward could give me my lower two positions 2 and 1.

953FA084-E5E7-4638-94F5-A3B852ACA63F.jpeg

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
IIRC there's a clip on that black piece that you remove and then the square part with teeth on it will slide forward or backward. Get it where you want and replace the clip.

I don't think it matters what year your trans is. The main differences between A4LDs from 85-94 were internal... the shift pattern is the same. P R N OD D 1 2

eightynine4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5" Suspension
Tire Size
31 x 10.5 x 15
Got it figured out! Turns out the whole device doesn’t need to come down off the frame like I had it. There is indeed a clip that sides down and once far enough it snaps into a different lower position and it allows the toothed adjustment shaft to move in or out. Was tough to get clip out but now it’s easy.
Some previous owner had adjusted it so that it was drastically towards the Park end of things. No idea why. Like the whole length of the shaft was pulled out and locked into place like that, as you can see in pic. This is why I had to pull so much on the column lever to get each R and N and OD/D, and why there was never any 2 or 1.
I followed the Haynes and pushed the shaft all the way back in and then reversed it 3 notches, all the while having the column lever weighted by 8 lbs so that it sat in the OD spot. This is their starting point for adjusting. After trying it out, I didn’t get Park at all. Truck also didn’t start up at all due to not really being in Park. Started fine in Neutral. So I went down and adjusted it two more notches towards the Park direction (pulling shaft a bit more out) and tried that. Worked right away. Took it for a short drive and I do seem to get all lever positions, and each position is pretty spot on, on that metal guide piece for the column lever. Truck stays in position just fine so I guess I’m good.
The thing that confused me the most was that position 2 and 1 share the same final guide position. It’s long so it makes sense. But it threw me for a loop.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals