• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto Parts Stores

Alan_nc

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Splash
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So I'm replacing the u joints and carrier bearing. After struggling with one of the joints I pull it apart to find that it has a broken roller bearing. O.K......disassemble what I have together and take parts to store (it was Advanced Auto - but I think they are all the same). Kid doesn't argue at all and gives me another one. Get home and this time prior to putting any of it together I pull off the end caps and find that about half of the roller bearing in one of the ends are missing. Another trip and another easy exchange but what a mess and waste of time.

I want to know who the guys are that mess parts up or remove what they need from the parts and then have the balls to return them and get their money back.

Since these were for a Ranger......is it someone here?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Ok. To make you feel better...

It was me.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Probably done on purpose at the manufacturer. China's way of getting back at us.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I fart on every part I ever return...

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’ll admit, I have taken parts off of display models before.

I can’t help it, I’m a bad person.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
thats why NAPA is really a acronym:
Need
Another
Part
A$$hole
lol. (but that is a good joke). actually ive had less issues with napa then other parts places, autozone is the worst in my book.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When I worked at advance auto 99% of the time even if the part was returned "unused" it went into the returns bin, meaning it was shipped back to the warehouse and not put back on the shelf. It would be next to impossible for someone to get a part someone had previously messed with. Of course this was 20 years ago...

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
Well I have been handed a box of brake pads and found them to be the wrong ones, went back they hand me the ones for with abs and them fit properly but on a vehicle without abs. At some point some one took these 2 boxes and swapped the pads. Most likely scenario is that someone didnt know if they had abs or not and took both sets out to match them up giving the opportunity to swap the parts to the wrong box.

Now I use making tape on my joint caps because they fall off sometimes on there own when moving the joint for install. For your situation it could be that some one already took it out of the package which allowed for a cap to fall off or it was taken off to match up he joint causing the loss in needles.

This is just my experiance with part store screw ups, not counting being handed the completely wrong part.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Last one i had messed up was a wheel seal from o reileys for rusty. Here i am covered in bearing grease just to find out they gave me the wrong wheel seal....in the right box.

Somewhere thst symphany of cuss words is still floating in the atmosphere. Along with the screwdriver i threw.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
If you want to mess with them a little bit, when your rattling off vehicle info ( like 2wd, abs, 2.3 engine ,ect) add a little something in the middle- like “ 2 speed power ashtray”. Ive not done that in years but it did make for some interesting reactions. At one time I considered opening a store in a small town that was 15 miles from any other part stores, The investment needed would take decades to pay off & start making money.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
If you want to mess with them a little bit, when your rattling off vehicle info ( like 2wd, abs, 2.3 engine ,ect) add a little something in the middle- like “ 2 speed power ashtray”. Ive not done that in years but it did make for some interesting reactions. At one time I considered opening a store in a small town that was 15 miles from any other part stores, The investment needed would take decades to pay off & start making money.
I asked for a flux capacitor for an 83 delorian once at Advanced.

The (cute) girl started looking it up then asked her boss if they sold delorian parts he asked her which part, she said, laughter erupted and i got called an asshole.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Our Napa and Car quest both have actual parts countermen, not kids asking the questions that pop up on their screen. I've never gotten a used part from either of them, I have been given wrong parts or boxed wrong parts- just like I occasionally did at the dealership. When you want a part like a U joint and they ask whether the truck is an XLT you're dealing with a moron.

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Our Napa and Car quest both have actual parts countermen, not kids asking the questions that pop up on their screen. I've never gotten a used part from either of them, I have been given wrong parts or boxed wrong parts- just like I occasionally did at the dealership. When you want a part like a U joint and they ask whether the truck is an XLT you're dealing with a moron.
Agree about NAPA and CarQuest...both good.
But as for you coming down on anyone asking you about specifics on your veh, like XL vs. XLT, their only following the computer prompts, and specifics might be needed....
U joint between XL and XLT just might be different depending on how it's equipped. There might have been a mid year or model change that requires a different part that your not aware of.
I was one of those counter people for awhile, and would always ask as many specific questions about customers vehicle, so I could get them the right part. Didn't want them to come back covered in grease telling me I gave them the wrong part.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
thats why NAPA is really a acronym:
Need
Another
Part
A$$hole
lol. (but that is a good joke). actually ive had less issues with napa then other parts places, autozone is the worst in my book.
+1 Autozone is the worst. I've yet to get a duralast alternator that actually worked.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
When you want a part like a U joint and they ask whether the truck is an XLT you're dealing with a moron.
I disagree with you on this. First it's the computer asking the questions, when you look up a part the computer asks you to select those options before moving on. So yea it probably doesn't matter but if im working the counter why not just answer it correctly instead of guessing? First of all I don't care who you are it's impossible to know every car so detailed that you know 100% for sure a certain trim level won't mean the part being asked for is different. Second customers would often start with something like a U-joint where that info is useless, but then ask for more parts after the fact where that info now is valid, so I'd have to back out of the screen and start the lookup over because I was too lazy to just ask if it was an XLT in the first place.

I had people give me dirty looks when they asked for wiper blades and id ask what engine was in their car. Then 30 seconds later they ask me for spark plugs...

If you don't like being asked questions and think the counter person is a moron look up the part yourself before coming into the store...

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals