• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Auto hubs not fully disengaging

Jeffpa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So I keep having problems with my auto hubs not disengaging
( 1995 STX 4.0 automatic dana 35)

I took the hub off and cleaned out best I could with brake cleaner then filled with atf and let for an hour before repeating.
Still having same problem though.

I know the most logical solution is to convert to manual hubs, and I'm open to that. However, I'd really like staying in the truck more than getting out to engage and disengage the hubs just to get out of my snowy drive way haha.

I havent seen any aftermarket auto hubs and oem replacements are $600. Is there a rebuild kit I'm not finding by chance?

To take the hub itself apart is there a a bolt under the sticker on the outside or somthing holding it in? Or do I need to take the snap ring out from inside?

Lastly can I have not been able to find a replacement plastic cam piece, are they unavailable ?

Any help would be amazing guys. Everyone keeps telling me to go get a new truck but I love this thing, in highschool it's the exact model I wanted in the exact color😏

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
On my 1994 I sometimes have to back up a few times to get them to disengage, to get rid of the "clicking" noise

Make sure no axle grease is in there, just light oil, like ATF

No, not many parts left for these, no new ones unless someone finds them on a shelf in their garage, lol

And just a heads up, the front differential on most 4x4s(all Rangers) is OPEN type, so if one hub doesn't engage you will have no 4WD, it won't be 3WD it will be 2WD, no front axle power at all

On manual hubs you can leave them locked all the time in winter, same as 2001-2011 Rangers with Live Axles, won't hurt anything at all, just let transfer case set 2WD or 4WD, same "shift on the fly" is also fine to use
Then unlock for the summer, so one better than Live Axles :)

According to Ford the Live Axle change only effected MPG by .2 or .3..........but still effected it, but in winter driving with winter fuel, MPG is pretty much down in any case

Last edited:

Jeffpa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the input! I was actually wondering if leaving them locked would be ok. Ill go ahead and order them now.

That also makes perfect sense. If one side doesn't engage then it's still 2wd. I hadn't thought about that.

I probably will get a new(er) truck soon, even though I just got rid of one. I plan on keeping the ranger and making it into a toy. Definitely a lift and solid front axle, possible 5.0 swap. It has the dreaded 4r55e in it 😔.

I do hate to modify it because it's in great condition and it's an stx .

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can keep the auto hubs(in a box, lol), and swap back at anytime down the road

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Having to back up in 2wd is get the auto hubs to unlock is normal and intended operation.

Leaving the hubs on a TTB axle locked all the time is less than desierable because the u-joints don't like to operate at the extreme angles needed for steering, however I still leave mine locked from the night before the first predicted snow until tax day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals