• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ati radeon hd 5450 problems

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so some time ago i obtained this a780gm-m3 mother board from a friend. at the time it was a great board for the price, somethin like 60$ and it had 6 sata ports, was a pretty good deal for him.the board has minor overclocking tweaks in the bios. you can change the voltage output and change some numbers, but overall not a true overclock. the board had a loose vga connection through out its entire life, eventually it quit working. so on the spur of the moment i bought a 25$ ati radeon hd 5450 1 gig ddr3 card, directx 10 compatible.

ive recently been toying with trying to get more performance out of this card, as i am just on the verge of being able to play dirt 3 and skyrim on medium graphics, with 25-30-ish fps. ive messed with voltage settings, increased the gpu clock and gpu ram. the catch? the only 2 programs ive been able to do this with are msi afterburner, and ati tray tools. ati tray tools being the better of the 2.

if i leave the voltage at 0.800 i can overlcock the gpu from 650 to 750. im not sure what value as it doesnt say, but you get the drift. and i can change the memory from 500 to 750. if i increase the voltage from 0.800 to 1.150 the screen gets wierd lines, freezes up, goes black, and crashes.

at 750 on both clock and mem i can get 40 fps on both skyrim and dirt 3 with my personal change of the graphics settings, about 25-30 on the games medium setting.

my questions are, why cant i overclock this thing further? why cant i overclock it with amd overdrive, the amd gpu clock tool, amd vision, or riva tuner. they simply wont let me change any values.. is it because of my motherboard? i need a board with the other southbridge or whatever, and i plan to buy one but i gotta wait for funds. or is it simply the card itself?

i go on youtube and a ton of people are overclocking this card with no problems. im no pro at overclocking, but i know enough to hurt myself. im not really worried about the life expectancy of this card because it was after all 25$, at 750 clock/memory the card runs at 50 degrees ive monitored it for hours while playing dirt 3.

any help?

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
You spent about 25 bucks on a vid card and you want to overclock it?

Let me rephrase that - You spent less than I do on a tank of gas on a medicocre variant of a low end model in a 3+ year old series of a vid card, and you want to overclock it?

Also, how did you increase the memory as you state?

The board shouldn't be too relevant to OCing a video card as long as it's a full PCI-E 16x and youre not trying to run a bleeding edge PCI 3.0 card like a GTX690 in a board that only has PCI 1.0, but if you're trying to game witha CPU like a Sempron or something versus say my FX-8120, you're not going to accomplish much dude.

A 5450 is a low end 5xxx series with DDR3, whereas a card like a 5670 or 5870 is higher end, and would have the DDR5 memory instead of DDR3 or -gag, even worse - DDR2. Your card simply wasn't made for it.

The same goes for PCs as vehicles. You cant expect to do much unless you pay for it. I have an 8 core FX cpu, and a Radeon HD 6970 2GB DDR5, and even I can't play everything full settings.

What are your full system specifications?

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the card was a spur of the moment thing. just havent replaced it yet. when i do i plan to spend around 150$ on one.

ati radeon hd 5450
2 gigs kingston ram
amd triple core at 3.1 gigs
250 gig sata drive

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals