• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

At witts end

ak.walker_ii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Super Cab
Transmission
Manual
I have done a recent top end rebuild on my 2.9L and cannot get it to start. I have replaced several sensors, the fuel pressure regulator and water pump. I cleaned the injectors and purged them with compressed air and a battery. I get good fuel spray from all cylinders in order with the plugs removed and have replaced the DCM and pickup which vastly improved the spark. The compression test 120 on all cylinders and the timing is spot on. I do have the exhaust removed right now because a clogged cat was suspect. When I crank it exhaust comes from the manifolds but it tends to backfire through them as well. Could having the exhaust removed prevent the engine from starting and what else should I try?

Spitfire1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
did you set all your base timing/distributor with the #1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke or are you off 180*?

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
are you getting power to the start pin on the dizzy(TFI)connector unplug the start solenoid wire from the ignition so it dont crank and have someone turn the key to start and check for power to the start pin on the TFI or yea it is easyer to rotate the wires 180 on the dizzy than rotate the rotor either way will work but kinna sounds like the ignition switch wire or connector to me. The tech library will tell you which pins do what on the TFI.

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
sounds like timing to me

low_five

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sounds 180 out to me.

Hotrodlincoln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Timings off or the the plug wires are on wrong. Both easy mistakes to make.

ak.walker_ii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Super Cab
Transmission
Manual
I checked the timing several times. It has a directional rotor on this distributor that can only be installed one way. I used a timing light on it and it is at 10 before TDC right on. I just ordered a timing chain which I should have done when I had it all apart. I did turn it counter-clockwise a couple of times while adjusting the valves and the manual said that this could cause the chain to jump. With 250K miles on it, it needs to be replaced anyway.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let ya know how it turns out.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Walker do this first! Since everyone here thinks you have the timing 180* out, me too btw! Pull the dist wires one at a time and swap them 3 spaces ahead in the dist. We think you have the #1 firing on the exhaust instead of the intake..
So by moving all the wires in the same rotation but 3 spaces ahead (or behind, makes no differance) you should have it really close to being timed.
Big Jim

ak.walker_ii

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990 Super Cab
Transmission
Manual
I appreciate all the help guys. I realized on my way to work that I hadn't confirmed that it was TDC on the compression stroke. I switched everything around and it fired right up. Thanks for the help.

vpcoded

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Engine Size
2.9-2.9-4.0
Transmission
Manual

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is it still for sale? stl craigs list?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals