• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AT&T U-Verse Internet

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Does anyone else have it? I got when I got DirectV as part of a "bundle" type thing. The plan I have is supposed to be 12mbps download speed. Bull shit. I dont even get 2. I had to cancel my Netflix membership just because I couldnt even watch a movie without it buffering every 5 minutes. If I want to watch a YouTube video I have to pause it before it even starts, and wait for it to load. I dont have a huge problem with browsing the web, but it really irritates me about the videos. Their customer service is a joke too. Took over 2 weeks, countless phone calls and hours on the phone to get them to send out the equipment so I could do a self install. Then when I got the equipment they randomly send out a guy to "check the lines" and end up charging me the $150 install fee that I told them I didnt want. It didnt even work after the guy left either. I spend literally 2 hours on the phone trying to get the modem registered. I eventually got them to refund the install cost. If anyone has their service, have you had problems with slow speeds? To anyone looking for internet service, avoid AT&T. Bastards got me on a one year contract too.

armadillon

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I was checking it out since we're moving to a new apartment in a month. Glad I read this first. Although I have nothing but positive things to say about their wireless customer service, I'm going to avoid U-Verse. I use Netflix WAY too much to dick around with buffering every 5 minutes.

wizkid00104

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994/2002
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L/5.4L
Transmission
Manual
I had this problem with my comcast internet. Their customer support always has like 30 minute waits, but the guy I had was helpful.

As far as the speeds were concerned, I may be able to help a little if this is "cable" internet.

First off, how close is your modem's cable connection to the incoming line in the house? If the cable supplying the modem is split many times before reaching your modem, that is a prime suspect for loss in speed. The solution is either split the cable as soon as it comes into your house and run a line to your modem and the rest to wherever it needs to go. The second is to add an amplifier to the main line when it comes in the house. You increase electrical noise each time a splitter is used, but if you can amplify the good signal before the splits, you can see relatively drastic improvement.

Second, again if it is cable, is consider buying your own modem. I bought a Motorola Surfboard. The reason to buy your own instead of renting is the rentals are old and IMOP capped on speed. When I put my surfboard in in college, I was paying for 18 mbps and I have clocked it at 25 - 32 mbps using speedtest.net. You also pay a rental fee of ~$5 a month. The modem was ~$75. It was more than worth it and payed for itself in 15 months.

These are just from personal experience because I have been in your shoes with shitty internet connection. I hate tech support because I firmly believe that 90% of the people have very little to no idea what they are doing. This translates into wasting your time and money on a pointless solution.

cmequestionu

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
~10
Tire Size
One thing to keep in mind about your internet speed is that it is UP TO 12 MB. Your actuall speed may vary depending on how many people in your neighbourhood are on the internet at the same time you are and how far from the hub you are. Imagine bandwidth like water. There is only so much piped into your neighbourhood. If you are at the end of the line with everybody using at the same time the amount flowing is greatly reduced. I bet if you were watching movies at 1am you would get next to HD on your Netflix.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Good points on the speed...and I'd add "what firewall are you using and how many of them are turned on..."

We had problems with AVG firewall and AV when I was doing tech support...it was slowing down connections to a crawl...and some people were running two or even three firewalls...doh!

Anyway...I had a similar problem with Bell when we moved...took TWO months to get it resolved...and the problem was actually outside the house...I got so fed up I demanded to speak to someone in Canada and they resolved it in one call by sending the tech to check the outside lines...which I told them was probably the problem all along because the equipment worked perfectly at the other house...

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
My inlaws had at&t uverse for about 12 hrs, took them another 5 days to get off of it, and they are land line customers. It was stupid slow, and very bad customer service.

SVT

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its "fiber optic DSL". I understand its up to 12mbps, but 1mbps is so far off from the up to 12 i pay for its ridiculous.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have had it for almost 2 yrs without issues. Plenty of bandwidth to go around and the cable works great. How far from an urban area are you? If it's anything like regular dsl the farther from the hub you are the slower the connection is.

Sent from the road while ignoring traffic

daniel3507

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Im in an urban area. Im kinda near the city limits but its not a big city and its not like my house is off on its own.

fifthranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry for your troubles, and hopefully, I can provide a little insight. I live in a suburban area south of Cleveland, Oh in an apt. With degregulation of the cable/phone industry in the U.S., I had 2 or 3 options when I moved in -- AT/T Uvere and Adelphia (which became part of Time Warner). I actually had AT/T Uverse 1st, and in my area, they were pretty good. My beef was with pricing and having the Digital Basic, which lacked some of the channels (therefore shows) that I wanted, such as Sports Time Ohio to get Indians baseball games. It was considered a premium channel, and I didn't want to spend an extra $20/month for like 2 channels. As far as service, I had no problems with outages, slow-service, billing etc., so I switched to Time Warner, because they were offering buy 2 get 1 free. I still had Uverse internet, but now Time Warner cable, phone, and internet w/o a fee for internet. Eventually, I lost my job and the wife and I decided that we could save $100 month by consolidating our phone and internet by going back to AT/T. Still no issues. Also, I used to work for a subcontractor of DirecTv, and in different areas of the country, different services are offered/shared. Maybe in your area, AT/T uverse isn't up to par, but I still give it a thumbs up. Sorry for your luck, and I don't think that I really helped you. These tech. companies are ruthless with locking customers in to a contract even when they provide crap service. Why? My mom has lived in her house for 45 years, and before the Bells got broken up by the government. I doubt that she had to sign a contract for phone service, and in that time, she has had Ohio Bell, Ameritech, SBC Ameritech, AT/T, etc. Sorry for the rant, and maybe others can steer you in a better direction.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals