• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

At precisely what point do you give up on a vehicle?

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Tires are often round.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have a ton of money into my rust bucket, something like $4-5000 but like Ron said it's cheaper than a car payment and other than the engine failure early on, it's been very reliable. I'll be real happy if I can get another 3 or 4 years out of it without any more major issues. At that point I will either give it to one of the kids or part it out - maybe use the drivetrain for something else or maybe I'll run across a better body to drop onto my frame.

I think a lot of people are just not in the right mindset to keep old junk running and/or take on huge projects. I get it, kids/life/other hobbies demand time and having a reliable vehicle is important... I learned that early on, it's better to have a reliable driver AND a project, or a reliable driver and nothing else. As you can see from my signature, I've got a bunch, if one breaks down, I drive another one... I keep my interest alive since I can work on other projects if I get burned out on one.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I learned a long time ago that one is only one wreck away from bumming a ride or borrowing a car for six weeks or so until the insurance pays out if you only have one vehicle.

I’ve kept a DD and a “weekend” driver ever since.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have a ton of money into my rust bucket, something like $4-5000 but like Ron said it's cheaper than a car payment and other than the engine failure early on, it's been very reliable. I'll be real happy if I can get another 3 or 4 years out of it without any more major issues. At that point I will either give it to one of the kids or part it out - maybe use the drivetrain for something else or maybe I'll run across a better body to drop onto my frame.

I think a lot of people are just not in the right mindset to keep old junk running and/or take on huge projects. I get it, kids/life/other hobbies demand time and having a reliable vehicle is important... I learned that early on, it's better to have a reliable driver AND a project, or a reliable driver and nothing else. As you can see from my signature, I've got a bunch, if one breaks down, I drive another one... I keep my interest alive since I can work on other projects if I get burned out on one.
Yup. My original build on he choptop (purchase, fix engine, convert to 4x4, 3” lift, 33’s) I had about $1,500 into it. Want to say I was low $2k after 5” of lift. Now I have no idea what’s into it. I probably don’t want to know either. Motor and front axle are both FUBAR and the only part of it that bothers me is that I didn’t hardly drive it before it blew up again. Hell, I put the motor together and dropped it in the night before the 20th anniversary trail ride. I have got burnt out a little working on it, but not too bad, it’s a fun toy when it runs. When it doesn’t, I long for the time and money to fix it again so I can drive it more.

My F-150 I know I’ve sunk thousands. Practically rebuilt it as a 250. I burn out easy working on it, but it’s been an impressive truck especially in its current form. It’s a freaking tank on wheels. Not at all fast but it’s pulled everything I’ve ever hooked it to... including trees still rooted in the ground. The last tree was about 40-50’ tall! A ton in the bed makes it look like a stock F-150. Empty it looks like a super duty. Unfortunately all that torque likes to eat parts. U-joints seem to get crunchy quick and it was eating slave cylinders like candy until I upgraded the trans to a ZF5.

My 88 I probably don’t have more than $2k into right now. Of course it’s also in a LOT of pieces right now... I have seriously burned out on it more than once, but I refuse to give up because although it was the second vehicle I bought, I was still making payments on the first when I bought it outright. Never got to really enjoy it though, bought it, fixed a few issues, drove it for like 2 months and the motor blew. That was over 15 years ago. I want it to work again, damn it!

My current Ranger, I burned out a couple times with and I haven’t really got to love it yet. It had issues from the start and every time one thing is fixed, it’s on to the next. I’ve gone as far as fixing everything around what’s bad in hopes of throwing enough parts on it to get ahead of the next and it’s still bludgeoning me. This current repair my plan was to re-do the entire driveline in one shot and then I find myself back to frame repair again and it burned me out instantly. So I think I really just needed some re-assurances that it happens and to just keep plugging away so it can be enjoyed

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I learned a long time ago that one is only one wreck away from bumming a ride or borrowing a car for six weeks or so until the insurance pays out if you only have one vehicle.

I’ve kept a DD and a “weekend” driver ever since.
My 98 Ranger is my DD. The Lightning, Mustang and two motorcycles being my weekend toys. Since owning the Ranger 20 years, I've gone way past whatever value it has if I sold it. LOL!! Many sets of tires, four batteries that I can recall, fuel pump, new computer, two power steering pumps. Never had the transmission out, and it's got 171,000 on it. I have changed the fluid and filter twice in 20 years, and planning doing it again here soon.

Shoot, the MAC cai that is on the truck is likely worth more than the truck is. LMAO!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals