• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are dump trucks responsible for windshields?

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Lol noone said it yet so I guess I have to.....

DON'T FOLLOW SO CLOSE!!!!! ?

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!

F’ that!! If you were closer everything would have gone right over the windshield and landed in the bed... FREE ROCKS!!!

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

If I was any farther away I would have been in another state...

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Stopped back at the police station and filed a report, gave them the video. Then called USAA and gave them the police report info and emailed them the video. They said they will "review the information." I'm going to get the windshield replaced today and pay the damn 50 bucks. I'll see If I ever get it back.

Going to have them tint it when they put it in, obviously gotta pay that myself but I've wanted it done for a long time so might as well do it now.

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you truly were 20 car lengths back then I doubt the video shows any details like the actual rock hitting and chipping the windshield... Someone watching the video might just see a truck going down the road and just think the chip was already there and you are trying to get one over on someone.... Not calling you a liar but you gotta see where they are coming from too. 20 car lengths at a rough estimate of 10' long cars would be 200' back. I don't see a rock flying from less than 14' high and 200 feet out without bouncing off the road.... Or is it just me thinking this sounds like it may have hit the road first if you were 200 feet back..... Keep fighting it though. I'm sure they will break if you keep the pressure on for the next year and a half and they might get your $50 back lol.

I think you should post the video here and get some opinions..... Honorable judge jim oaks could weigh in on the video haha

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
My cam is 4k wide angle HD. You can read the vin number off a truck from that distance. Playing it on my tv you can clearly see all the crap flying off the truck, the crack apear after a loud clank, and hear the noise of the rocks pelting my truck before it happened in the audio :LOL:

I'm setting up a youtube thing now so I can post it.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Here in SC, you can get a ticket for not having a load like that covered. That applies to comercial trucks and privately owned vehicles. If I go to the recycling center (only 2 miles up the road) and my recycling stuff / trash isn't secured, I can get a ticket. And I have seen the police there at the entrance checking. I don't like it in some ways. But living on the road that leads there, I appreciate how much less trash I have to pick up in my front yard.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I've almost gotten a ticket for driving with my tailgate down for a couple blocks to get the fall leaves to blow out of my bed... the cop said "use a broom next time" and let me off with a warning. :rolleyes:

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
My DD used to be my wife's. The hood is in horrible condition, due to her following too close. One day we were in the car, behind an uncovered dump truck. As rocks are pelting the hood, she is complaining about it. I tell her to back off and give the driver some room. She does, to about 5-6 car lengths. Swear to GOD, it got worse, louder and more violent. Like the rocks were gaining momentum or something. All of a sudden, CRACK!!!, loud AF, and a small spider web starting in the PS lower corner of the windshield. Tried to get the company to take responsibility, they basically laughed and said "prove it and we'll pay". We couldn't prove it, so we payed. So I don't think it matters how far behind the truck you are. Moral of the story is, "Don't get behind Loaded Dump Trucks"

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My cam is 4k wide angle HD. You can read the vin number off a truck from that distance. Playing it on my tv you can clearly see all the crap flying off the truck, the crack apear after a loud clank, and hear the noise of the rocks pelting my truck before it happened in the audio :LOL:

I'm setting up a youtube thing now so I can post it.
There was crap too? But did you get video of the rocks?

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hell, I was sitting out at Point 10 at Lake Stanley Draper one day, smoking a cigar. It was winter, so I was just out there enjoying the day. All the sudden, "crack, crack!!" Two small spots appear in the center of the windshield about two inches apart. I'm thinking, "damn it, someone hit my windshield with a bb gun or pellet gun. But, there was no one in site anywhere. I was sitting facing the lake and within 50 feet of it. And the other side of the lake is way out of bb gun or pellet gun range. And there was no one parked on the other side of the lake. And no one that I could see with the binoculars I keep in the truck. Odd thing is, they are still there to this day and never got any larger than pea size. Never spread or spider webbed. So I live with them since the Ranger is my bad weather vehicle.

Got me wondering, very small meteorites? I work on US Navy E-6 Mercury aircraft. We had one aircraft we had to do a repair on for a hole in the upper skin on the fuselage. Happened while the plane was flying at speed. Hole was on the upper left side at about the 10 o'clock position. Hole was made by an object moving forward and downward at around 45 degrees. Nothing was ever found inside the aircraft. Very weird. For an object to penetrate 1/4 inch thick 2024-T3 aluminum skin, go through a 7075-T6 aluminum stringer, go through the interior decorative panels, of an aircraft traveling well over 400 mph, moving in the same direction as the plane, and not leave a trace of itself afterwards for anyone to find, it had to be packing quite a punch, and obviously it disintegrated after doing the nasty. Nothing in the aircraft was damaged. And being the "Doomsday aircraft", it is packed, front to back", with electronic consoles and gadgets. After penetrating ths kin, breaking hte stringer, and going through the decorative panels, it disappeared.

Front windshield tinting? The Mustang I bought recently has this, and I'm liking it. Going to see about getting the Lightning done soon. All the other windows are super dark, and the front has an eyebrow as it stands now. Probably get the Ranger done soon as well. Like the Lightning, the other windows are done.

Last edited:

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Look at like 50 bucks for a detailed windshield. Nothing as clean as new. Lol

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Look at like 50 bucks for a detailed windshield. Nothing as clean as new. Lol
Yeah, there's a windshield place that does tinting a mile and a half from me. When I replaced the windshield on my Lightning due to a crack from an unknown source, I dropped it there and walked home. When they called half a day later and said it was done, walked back. Three months and about 300 miles later, it cracked again. It's kept in a garage with a cover over it, so have no clue what caused it. Have no clue what caused it to crack the first time. There was no impact evidence for either crack. They replaced it for free.

There's a top quality body and paint shop a half mile from me in the other direction. I've used them for some custom work a few times.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals