• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ARE Camper on 2020 Ranger Nightmare

AJ Wells

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So I dont sound like a total A-hole let me start by saying I purchased a second hand ARE cap for my 2010 Sport Trac. I installed it myself and never had a problem with it. When I bought the cap there was no key. I called the local ARE dealer and they ordered one for me. When I went to pick it up it didnt work. The rep took quite a while to find me a key that fit and would not take a dime for the key. Fast forward to purchasing a new ARE cap for my 2020 Ranger. For me there was no question where I would buy my new cap.

Keep in mind this ARE dealer is 32 miles from my home. I get the cap installed (3 hours) and ask the rep if there is any paperwork or anything special I need to know about taking it off such as quick disconnect etc. He said no, the disconnect is in there. When I got home that night I realized the lights were wired incorrectly, and the cap sitting on the truck didnt look right to me. I brought the truck in and they rewired the lights to work correctly (trip#2).

After a few days it rained and the cap was leaking. I brought the truck back in (trip#3) and spoke to the manager/owner and showed him that the cap didnt appear to be lined up correctly with the bed, it was about 1/2 inch too far back. He mumbled to the tech then told me they would put more sealing tape on. They then reinstalled the cap (another 3 hours) in the exact same position. The tech explained to me all of the mistakes the original tech made in his installation including no quick disconnect. He then explained to me how he cranked down the clamps as tight as possible, thats when i noticed all four bolts were bent. At this point I was pissed off and frustrated and figured as long as it doesnt leak I'll deal with it myself in the future.

After a few days it rains and of course the cap still leaks. I posted a picture on ARE's FB page asking if the cap was properly installed. They responded saying it was too hard to tell from one picture and to contact their consumer affairs dept. I sent them an email detailing everything that had transpired thus far and sent multiple pictures and videos. I even commented that according to their website removal/reinstall video that the cap was installed wrong. I had another appt scheduled for the leak and what would be third install. I had still not heard from ARE as of the appt which was several day after I contacted them. The dealer contacted me and stated that ARE advised him that the cap had to have a 3/4 by 3/4 tape to seal properly.

I bring the truck in (trip #4) and find out ARE contacted the dealer but never responded to me at all. I get an email from them while I'm at the dealer telling me to keep my appointment. I'm truly pissed off at this point. I have never experienced a total lack of customer service before. I never even got a "sorry". We are talking hundreds of miles and numerous hours of my life, plus the $3300 I paid, and not even a sorry sir.

ARE did have the balls to send me a survey but I have still not heard from consumer affairs. I have posted many pictures and comments on their FB posts if anyone is interested.

I am truly happy for anyone that has had positive experiences with ARE, mine was a nightmare and I just wanted to share it here, Oh, THE CAP STILL LEAKS!!!!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have no experience with ARE. When they installed the cap, did they put any kind of seal between the cap and the bed? If not, no matter what they do, it's going to leak. One thing I noticed on my 2011 Ranger, is that I get some minor leakage through the crimp seams where the bed sections meet together in the front of the bed. I realize the Sport Trac bed is assembled differently. So, this is only an example. I hope you figure it out.

I'm moving this post to the Explorer & Sport Trac sub forum where is more properly matches the subject matter. The 2019-2020 Ford Rangers forum isn't even close.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
He is talking about a 2020 Ranger.... but referenced his prior Sport Trac leading in.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I moved it back...he is talking about a 2020 Ranger...

I have no experience with ARE. When they installed the cap, did they put any kind of seal between the cap and the bed? If not, no matter what they do, it's going to leak. One thing I noticed on my 2011 Ranger, is that I get some minor leakage through the crimp seams where the bed sections meet together in the front of the bed. I realize the Sport Trac bed is assembled differently. So, this is only an example. I hope you figure it out.

I'm moving this post to the Explorer & Sport Trac sub forum where is more properly matches the subject matter. The 2019-2020 Ford Rangers forum isn't even close.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Here is a quote...

Fast forward to purchasing a new ARE cap for my 2020 Ranger. For me there was no question where I would buy my new cap."

AJ Wells

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic

Yes they used seal tape. If you look at the first picture you can see the edge of the cap sitting right on the tape ontop of the bulkhead, instead of the edge being over the bulkhead.

I apologize if I was not clear, but the last sentence starts "Fast forward to purchasing....."

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Here is a quote...

Fast forward to purchasing a new ARE cap for my 2020 Ranger. For me there was no question where I would buy my new cap."
I missed that part. Totally my fault then. Trying to do many things at one time.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Yes they used seal tape. If you look at the first picture you can see the edge of the cap sitting right on the tape ontop of the bulkhead, instead of the edge being over the bulkhead.

I apologize if I was not clear, but the last sentence starts "Fast forward to purchasing....."
Totally my fault. Come to think of it, I've had some wetness in my 2019's bed with a Leer cap. I'll have to pay attention to it more. It may be only after the truck has been run through the car was and the pressurized water is blowing through the seal. I'll need to look into that more.

One possibility (though the dealer or the manufacturer should fix the issue since it's brand new) is that Advance Auto sells a thicker tape that might solve the problem if alignment isn't the issue but proper fit.

AJ Wells

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Totally my fault. Come to think of it, I've had some wetness in my 2019's bed with a Leer cap. I'll have to pay attention to it more. It may be only after the truck has been run through the car was and the pressurized water is blowing through the seal. I'll need to look into that more.

One possibility (though the dealer or the manufacturer should fix the issue since it's brand new) is that Advance Auto sells a thicker tape that might solve the problem if alignment isn't the issue but proper fit.
They finally lined it up correctly after i was showing the owner/manager pictures from the are website that it wasn't lined up correctly, and ARE apparently called the dealer as well. I understand that the bulkhead on the 20 Ranger is weird, but they should figure out how to do it right. My issue is ARE totally ignoring me. Had they contacted me and advised me that they told the dealer how to properly install the cap, and that I was correct, it would have saved me making a scene at the dealer in front of 8 customers. I can't understand how an ARE dealer doesn't know that the ranger needs a 3/4x3/4 tape.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals