• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are all Ranger stock rims lug centric?

06_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Problem Solved !

Apparently these steel rims require the correct hub diameter on the rotor. On Saturday I took my digital micrometer to two separate auto parts stores and had them pull a 98 2WD Ranger rotor off the shelf. In both cases the hub diameter was 70.3 mm, which is exactly the spec for the steely wheel center bore. (As well as my original alloy).
I then went back to Dobbs, and once again they said my steel rims had too large a center bore. I immediately took the vehicle home and measured the hubs and found that they were only 63 mm in diameter instead of 70.3. So after I replaced both front rotors my steel rims and new tires are riding as smooth as glass. Just how those undersized hubs got on there, I'll never know.
What still bothers me is that Dobbs never said my rotors were the wrong size for a ranger, and hey, let's replace them. Instead they just wanted to sell me new rims.
It's my opinion that not all Ford ranger rims are lug centric. If you have alloys, they probably are lug centric. If you have steelies and the ride is bouncy, check your hubs. They should fit the center bore.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Apparently these steel rims require the correct hub diameter on the rotor. On Saturday I took my digital micrometer to two separate auto parts stores and had them pull a 98 2WD Ranger rotor off the shelf. In both cases the hub diameter was 70.3 mm, which is exactly the spec for the steely wheel center bore. (As well as my original alloy).
I then went back to Dobbs, and once again they said my steel rims had too large a center bore. I immediately took the vehicle home and measured the hubs and found that they were only 63 mm in diameter instead of 70.3. So after I replaced both front rotors my steel rims and new tires are riding as smooth as glass. Just how those undersized hubs got on there, I'll never know.
What still bothers me is that Dobbs never said my rotors were the wrong size for a ranger, and hey, let's replace them. Instead they just wanted to sell me new rims.
It's my opinion that not all Ford ranger rims are lug centric. If you have alloys, they probably are lug centric. If you have steelies and the ride is bouncy, check your hubs. They should fit the center bore.
So how did they ride smooth before you switched tires?

06_FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Accidental alignment

It doesn't sound easy to believe, but the very first time I put the new rims on the vehicle, they must have lined up pretty good by accident. The stud holes on the rims have a small taper, but apparently not enough depth to them to get everything lined up perfectly. When the hub is the correct size everything is forced to line up correctly and the lug alignment has less of an affect. Really, all I can say is everything is good now, and the only change I made was switching out the rotors so the hubs would be 70.3 mm. I'd be interested to know if anyone else out there has ever seen a Ranger 2wd front rotor where the hub was only 63 mm. . I'd bet not.

gjm4l

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4cyl
Transmission
Manual
Huh that ended up interesting lol. They are still lug centric but with the bigger hub lining it up it makes it easier to center the lugs on the tire. Naturally I have the though after the fact but I remember having to hand tighten lugs from time to time until the wheel was all the way flush against the rotor so I could ensure they all seated properly because they didn't have the assistance of a center bore that matched the hub. if you just took the impact gun to them (not good/recommended but done frequently in shops that mess with wheels daily)they could pinch against the cone instead of centering in it as intended making all kinds of weird issues and worst case senario the wheels to shift to center making for loose lugnuts! I'm glad you finally got it sorted out and you have wheels you like and tires you needed lol. As to the dealer I'd still be taking my business elsewhere next time.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Not a single one of my steel rims (aftermarket) has a center hole that matches the hub diameter, however I've never experienced balance or vibration issues on mine. Unfortunately I can't seem to figure an explanation for why replacing your rotors fixed yours , being that you didn't have the issue until the new tires (which would seem to rule out defective rotors). :icon_confused: I highly doubt it had anything to do with the hub itself though.

Long shot...
Were the lugs fully tightened against the wheel? (I've seen a few cases where the studs are too long, preventing aftermarket closed-ended lug nuts from fully clamping a steel rim because it's thinner than an alloy rim) Were the studs any shorter on the new rotors?

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The lug nuts for my factory steel rims had grooves worn in the taper so they were not really tapered where they bore against the rim. Maybe you caught them in just the right position again?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals