• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are all Dana 35's created equal?

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
The reason I ask is that I found a new Spartan locker for a Dana 35 on CL for $125, which sounds like a pretty good deal. The ad says it's for a TJ I believe, but I don't know if Dana ships the same Dana 35 to all manufacturers or if there are Ford Dana 35s, Jeep Dana 35s, etc.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Actually they're NOT!!!

There are 2 types of carriers with different size spider gear "hubs". By Hub I mean the part of the spider gear that slides into the sides of the carrier. However, I cannot recall the size differences. Supposedly one is an "ABS carrier and the other is a "Non-ABS carrier", I'm not sure how that name came to be but it's what I've been told. The BS part about this is it seems that it doesn't have much relation to ABS at all, as either carrier found their way into both ABS and Non-ABS trucks. I personally think it had to do more with a redesign to strengthen one part or the other (I don't know which version of the carrier came first).

I had bought a Aussie locker for my D35, but found it wouldn't fit. Which is how I found all this out.

Gmanpaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There are standard rotation and reverse rotation gears in the D35.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I thought the TTB axles used wheel sensors for the ABS?

I can see where heep carriers could be different using a tone ring in the rear.

Jeeps have a carrier break for gear ratios too, it is on here somewhere but the deeper version will interchange with a RBV carrier.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
There are standard rotation and reverse rotation gears in the D35.
His question is pertaining to a type of locker that utilizes the/a stock carrier. The carrier is the same as a standard D35 except for the "break" explained below.

But yes, you're technically correct.

Rear D35's are low pinion, and not found in Rangers/Explorers/RBV's
One exception: I have seen listed D35 gear sets for use in very early Ford Aerostars that used an aluminum center housing. I would assume these are rare and probably not particularly reliable due to quickly being replaced with the 7.5".

TTB Rangers use a High pinion, "reverse rotation", gearset.

IFS (a-arm style) Rangers I believe went back to using a regular low pinion.

I thought the TTB axles used wheel sensors for the ABS?

I can see where heep carriers could be different using a tone ring in the rear.

Jeeps have a carrier break for gear ratios too, it is on here somewhere but the deeper version will interchange with a RBV carrier.
They do use wheel sensors. Again, I have no idea how/why this labeling system came about. But the only difference is a slight diameter change with the part of the spider gear that slides into the carrier. :icon_confused:

If the carrier accepts a tone ring that would be for rear D35's only. If the carrier has a spot for it and you're using it in a Ranger D35, just leave it off.

The carrier break is 3.31 and numerically lower, and 3.55 and numerically higher. The TTB (Ranger D35) should use the 3.55+ carrier regardless of the ratio. I believe the IFS D35's use a low pinion gear setup like the rear D35, but I believe the carriers follow the same system as its rear counterpart.

D35 carriers should all interchange with all D35 housings, obviously taking into account the carrier break. The splines are the same (30 spline super D35 carriers are an after market option)

Last edited:

Gmanpaint

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Check out this page and see an example of different lockers offered for different D35's.

http://www.my4by.com/dana-35-198.html

C-clip, non C-clip, 27 spline, 30 spline, ABS, non ABS, ratio split, etc...

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The reason I ask is that I found a new Spartan locker for a Dana 35 on CL for $125, which sounds like a pretty good deal. The ad says it's for a TJ I believe, but I don't know if Dana ships the same Dana 35 to all manufacturers or if there are Ford Dana 35s, Jeep Dana 35s, etc.
If this is for the '98 in your profile, I'm almost certain any Jeep D35 lunchbox unit will not fit it (the IFS D35 uses a unique carrier).

bmerr98

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 X
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Leave it better than you found it.
Once again, my knowledge is increased. Thanks for all the responses. I guess it's still a good deal, but for someone else.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They do use wheel sensors. Again, I have no idea how/why this labeling system came about. But the only difference is a slight diameter change with the part of the spider gear that slides into the carrier. :icon_confused:
So then as long as you keep the spider with the carrier it is a non issue?

Wanting to put a heep limited slip carrier in a TTB axle someday...

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
So then as long as you keep the spider with the carrier it is a non issue?

Wanting to put a heep limited slip carrier in a TTB axle someday...
I'd try to keep the spiders with the carrier regardless. But you can pull them out and measure them. Since it's the only information I have right now, I'll use the measurements from the link posted earier in the thread by Gmanpaint.

ABS hub diameter = 1.560"
NON-ABS hub diameter = 1.625"

The outer carrier dimensions are the same, and both carriers will swap with either housing.

Really any D35 carrier 27 spline, 3.55+ ratio should fit the TTB D35's housing. Open, ABS/NON-ABS, Limited slip, Selectable Locker, spool (?), etc.

The only thing to look for is C-clip vs NON-c-clip. If you want to retain the factory E-Clip for the passenger side axle shaft, you want the C-clip carrier. If you're doing a C-clip eliminator with the spring, it doesn't matter which one, they'll work the same.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals