• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Are 92-94 3.0s bank fire or sequential FI?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
So I was studying my old ranger EVTM's while creating a 2.9 to 3.0 swap computer pinout chart and noticed that the 92 3.0 computer has an individual output for each fuel injector, while the 2.9, EEC-IV 2.3 and EEC-IV 4.0 are bank firing with 3 injectors on each bank.

I know the EEC-IV 3.0 doesn't have a camshaft position sensor so I'm not sure how the computer would know when to fire each injector.

Another difference I noticed is that on all 2.3s, 2.9s and the 90 4.0, pin #4 is the IDM (ignition diagnostic monitor) I am used to seeing. On all 3.0s and the 92 4.0, pin #4 is called "Engine RPM Sensor Input". Is this the same thing as IDM?

Another difference I noticed is that on all 2.3s, the 90 2.9, the 90 4.0, and the 92 3.0, Pin 56 is called "Ingition Module RPM input" while on the 92 2.9 and 92 4.0, it is called PIP (profile ignition pickup) that I am used to seeing. I'm pretty sure these are the same thing. I'm going to look up what how they compare to the 88 2.3 turbo and how the TFI 2.9 and 3.0 distributor connectors compare to each other.

Also it's amazing how different the 3.0 computer pinout is from all the other ranger engines. They really shuffled a lot of stuff around compared to the 2.3, 2.9 and 4.0 which are all about 5 wires different from each other.

wanebell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Seven,

The 92-94 3.0 liter engines are multi-point injection engines. Each injector is fired individually. The timing is done using a Hall Effect transducer located in the distributor. This transducer is what indicates the camshaft position.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Yeah I know how a TFI dizzy works, but I've never heard of one being used as a camshaft position sensor. On the DIS models the crank trigger takes the place of the hall effect transducer in the TFI dizzy to produce a signal each time the crankshaft makes one revolution.

So is the 3.0 TFI dizzy different than all the other TFI ford dizzy's I've seen? Does it actually produce a separate signal each time the camshaft makes on revolution?

It seems all other multiport EEC-IV fords from the era that don't have a camshaft position sensor use bank firing injectors, meaning they have only 2 banks and every injector in a bank gets fired at the same time. I've only seen sequentially fired injectors (each injector gets fired at the proper time for it's respective cylinder) on models that have a camshaft position sensor (like the thunderbird supercoupes for example). I've never seen a TFI dizzy EEC-IV vehicle that fired each injector sequentially.

wanebell

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, IIRC, the 5.0 liter engines in my 86 and 87 Mustangs were MPFI and used the same Hall Effect distributor set up. Those were both EEC-IV TFI systems, although speed density rather than mass air.

Since the crankshaft and distributor shaft are mechanicaly linked, either can be used to indicate firing position. It's just a question of accuracy.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I think you might be confusing multiport and sequential fuel injection. Multiport means that it has one fuel injector for each cylinder. Sequential means that the computer fires each injector at the appropriate time for the cylinder it feeds. 90% of EEC-IV fords are multiport bank firing, meaning every injector in one of two banks gets fired at the same time, regardless of where the piston is at in it's cycle.

The few models that were sequential (thunderbird supercoupe for example) had camshaft position sensors. Since the camshaft spins at half the speed of the crankshaft and only makes one revolution per complete 4-stroke cycle (intake, compression, combustion, exhaust), as opposed to 2 revolutions per cycle for the crankshaft, the computer needs a camshaft position sensor to know when to fire each injector. It can know engine RPM based on the crankshaft, and it can fire wastespark DIS ignition based on crankshaft input only (since the ignition fires on both the compresion and exhaust stroke for each cylinder), but it needs to know where the camshaft is at time fire the fuel injectors at the proper time.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
i know haynes manuals arent near the quality of actual evtms, but mine shows typical bank-fired wiring (the each bank using the same colors of wires).

i was under the impression the 3.0 was bank-fired until it went DIS in '95 :dunno:

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
I thought so too, but having an individual output for each injector makes me wonder. All the bank fire models just have two injector outputs at the computer: one for each bank.

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
oh wait, your right. i must have been looking at the wiring diagram for an earlier model 3.0 before. i had myself all mixed up.

im also confused about the layout for the "distributor" on the '92+ 3.0's. my haynes manual shows 6 plug wires coming out of the coil...like they think it has DIS or something. but just below the coil in the diagram it has the same item labeled as both "TFI ignition module" and "distributor". or am i just reading that wrong?

very strange....

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
oh wait, your right. i must have been looking at the wiring diagram for an earlier model 3.0 before. i had myself all mixed up.

im also confused about the layout for the "distributor" on the '92+ 3.0's. my haynes manual shows 6 plug wires coming out of the coil...like they think it has DIS or something. but just below the coil in the diagram it has the same item labeled as both "TFI ignition module" and "distributor". or am i just reading that wrong?

very strange....
It is shown the same way in the Chilton's. They are not drawing in the distributor cap. I guess they expect one to know it is there. The TFI is attached to the distributor as it should be, but the diagram is not separating the dist cap from the coil.:)shady

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
if im not mistaken, the TFI module was relocated to the drivers side core support in '93 (it might still be on the dizzy in '92)...but they have the same diagram for '92 and '93 trucks. i do see where they defined the TFI module and dizzy though with a simple line.

its just weird that they show six lines going to the plugs when it should be one line (coil secondary winding output). but i digress.

i wonder how a guy would go about seeing if his engine is actually fired sequencially then...i guess two node lights on two injectors on the same bank while the engines running would tell you.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals