• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AR-15 shooters....

IsNotAYahoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I build a ton of ARs, and I love my first AR: A PSA, and I love my custom $4,500 3-gun rifle I built. ( My favorite is a sub 5 lb. built on a polymer lower from KE Arms, with a 14.5" p&w pencil barrel & a carbon fiber hand-guard... not a practical gun, but also not the expensive one.)

Ultimately if it is your first AR (and especially if it is not your first gun) a simple PSA or Anderson is fine. I am particular to the PSAs myself as I know a few of the folks who's companies were acquired over the years and they aren't the type to make poor quality stuff.

I highly recommend you get a mid-length gas system. Carbine is fine for military arms that may see tens of thousands of rounds, but us normies are unlikely to ever shoot-out a barrell (+/_ 10k rounds depending on barrel material.)

If you want to be fancy I would recommend to add an A5 buffer system with an H2 buffer and a nice trigger (I like LaRue as he makes a great trigger for under $100, and he does it just to mess with Geissele, which are also amazing) and a free float mlok handguard. Faxon makes a 16" "gunner" style barrel that is both light and rigid, add a referb vortex red dot from AAOptics (if it breaks you get a new one from vortex) and you have a fine weapon useful for many things.

Of course all of that is just me. I have a Ranger to build it as much as I like to drive it, same as my guns, house, computer, etc. Noting can stay stock around me... I love to tinker too much!

If you have questions let me know. This is kinda my jam.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
For those with AR things and like giggling... Look up X Products Can Cannon... They're apparently fairly local to me in Vancouver WA but are thinking of getting out of their dumb state, I visited today and picked up one of their packages with the can cannon and golf ball attachment... I shot a golf ball for fun and somehow hit a tree about 200 yards away about 50' up with no sights... the guys there were awesome, helped my boss out with his issues with the one he got the day before. Now I wish blanks weren't so expensive...
Holy shitballs!!

That thing launches soda cans.

I build a ton of ARs, and I love my first AR: A PSA, and I love my custom $4,500 3-gun rifle I built. ( My favorite is a sub 5 lb. built on a polymer lower from KE Arms, with a 14.5" p&w pencil barrel & a carbon fiber hand-guard... not a practical gun, but also not the expensive one.)

Ultimately if it is your first AR (and especially if it is not your first gun) a simple PSA or Anderson is fine. I am particular to the PSAs myself as I know a few of the folks who's companies were acquired over the years and they aren't the type to make poor quality stuff.
I was looking at PSA. I'd have to find a dealer here to ship it to. In the process of looking for a dealer I found one that carries this Radical Firearms AR.

Radical Firearms, Forged, Semi-automatic, AR, 223 Remington/556NATO, 16" Threaded Socom Profile Barrel, Anodized Finish, Black, Mid Length Gas System, A2 Flash Hider, 15" M-LOK Free FLoat Handguard, B5 Systems Stock and Grip, 30 Rounds, 1 Magazine

Arms Select

My first choice though is this

PSA 16" Mid-Length 5.56 NATO 1/7 Nitride 15" Lightweight Hex M-Lok Classic Rifle | Palmetto State Armory

I like the Full Picatinny M-Lok free-float rail

My second choice is this Anderson AM-15

Anderson Manufacturing AM-15 Utility Pro For Sale 5.56 B2K869A031 676351708614 16 30 Round Black (grabagun.com)

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (1½" Hiryder/3" body), BII 4" Procomp
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 32"/4:10LS, BII 33"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Jim Oaks
Go Anderson Manufacturing (AM) ALL THE WAY!! I have assembled 5 guns using mostly AM components and one a complete AM15 (the 10.5" AM barrel was customized but remains an AM barrel): the fixed sites options and grip (changed later for a BMG) are not AM. I do like the firearm you have selected, all but the hand guard and I would buy it directly from AM verses anyone else...better warrenty for a fully assembled, by the manufacturer firearm. They have a different model, the barrel end has a slash cut to it...it is the coolest looking hand guard I've ever used (cooler than the handguard on my AR, with I made and love).

There gear is excellent, just not with an inflated price. Also, aside from the lower receiver, if you are or know someone that can purchase your parts, their MILITARY DISCOUNT is ridiculous 👍

As always, I must also suggest considering their "RF-85" never needs lube upper receiver and bolt carrier group (BLG).

Here is a pic of their handguard that I like:

Attachments

Last edited:

buell-eyed-devil

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Hey ya'll, watch this
I bought my first AR from rural king. Its a Diamondback. No issues so far. I built my AR pistol with an Anderson lower and a7.5" upper from Karris Arms in .300 BLACKOUT. No problems with either

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I w got one of those Karri's uppers. Haven't used it much, but works good.

IsNotAYahoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Jim Oaks

I think either the PSA or Anderson can't lose. Neither have the finest finish but are great for us recreational shooters without breaking the bank. I'm not as familiar with Radical. Likely close to PSA/ Anderson quality, but too new to me to pick over either known brand.

The three key parts to a good AR are the bolt, barrel, and upper receiver. If those mesh well, and are built strong you will have a good shooter for a lifetime.

Your barrel/ upper mating drives accuracy, the bolt is usually what will have broken parts first (but they're very easy to replace.) Tolerance and material are what matter.

Modern metalergy and CNC-based manufacturing completely blow away anything we had when the AR was designed in the 50's, so you'll be hard-pressed to find something too low quality to not work until you've trained enough to form your own opinion.

IsNotAYahoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Here is a pic of their handguard that I like:
That's sometimes called a shovelnose handguard. I think its influenced by the original free-float handguards added to rifles using the F-Marked/A-2 style of front sights.

The beginning years (mil adoption to AWB) were a neat time for AR designs. Though having that gap (due to the AWB) really changed how folks approached the platform. I wonder how a straight evolution for the platform would have been different than one that started and stopped the way it did.

IsNotAYahoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Growing up with the A team I've wanted a mini 14 since I was like 5, but their current price pushes me away, one day... I mean it's the A team, millions of rounds of ammo and no injuries, basically the safest firearm on earth!
Check out Samson Mfg. They make the A-Team stock and (a cheaper option) the matching 10/22 B-Team stock :LOL:.

I've thought of buying one for fun.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I went into Atwoods today. I had never been in one and wanted to see what all they carried. They seemed very similar to Tractor Supply, but I was surprised when I saw a section with guns. I was even more surprised when I saw they had an AR-15.

They have this Ruger 8529 on sale for $699. $200 more than I wanted to spend, but probably a good deal on a Ruger.

Ruger AR556.223/5.56 Semi Auto Rifle (atwoods.com)

I like a longer rail though.

atwoods-1.JPG

atwoods-2.JPG

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@Jim Oaks if you had just bought the first thing that caught your fancy you’d have 1000 rounds through it by now.

You’re always gonna find something to play with on one of these, it’ll never be perfect.

IsNotAYahoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I went into Atwoods today. I had never been in one and wanted to see what all they carried. They seemed very similar to Tractor Supply, but I was surprised when I saw a section with guns. I was even more surprised when I saw they had an AR-15.

They have this Ruger 8529 on sale for $699. $200 more than I wanted to spend, but probably a good deal on a Ruger.

I like those Rugers, a ton. Fortunately the rail is easy to swap. Looks like it might be a carbine gas, but honestly it's a solid platform.

Roert42 is right: there will always be another greener field with these things (that's why I might have like 20-something of them...)

Just know that whatever you pick can easily be changed with basic mechanical skill. They are truly the Lego of guns.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
@Jim Oaks if you had just bought the first thing that caught your fancy you’d have 1000 rounds through it by now.

You’re always gonna find something to play with on one of these, it’ll never be perfect.
:iamwithstupid:

Not only would you have 1000 rounds through it, you'd have a better idea of what you wanted to change, and likely be well on the way to making it perfect for you.

...and have a better idea of what you want to build into the next one.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

That isn't a bad price for an entry level AR. Finding one for $600 is a deal now days. The days of being able to buy one for $400 is long gone anymore unless you find a current owner looking to sell off one.

Heck, a complete upper with bolt and carrier is pretty much in the $400 range anymore.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals