• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

App Issue

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
So I have noticed the Ford App get hung up or not respond multiple times. Live in BFE assumed it was poor service or just normal Bluetooth issues. Have nearly 35k miles this weekend used the app to start the truck (which automatically locks the doors) keys were in the truck, have had this happen dozens of times. Once it's running hold the unlock on the app and good to go. Well after an hour I got a ride home, got the spare out the safe to unlock it, was fairly close to using a brick... At this point I called the # on the app center. After 20 minutes with the lady she informed me the modem needed an update that would be out of warranty at 36k miles (base warranty). There was no way for me to know about this unless I experienced issues which she stated I should have seen a while ago. No letter sent out or notification of any sort. At this point she notified me there was NOTHING she could do remotely I politely thanked her for wasting 20 minutes of my life and accordingly filled out the call survey. Then called the dealership I purchased the truck from. Service told me the codes lead to needing a CCU update which was covered under the 36k mile basic warranty. So I dropped it off this evening. Asking for a "door key", pretty shameful in 2021 we have to use technology they moved away from in the 1990's
IMG_20211121_165954575.jpg
... I also asked for an evaluation, any input here is appreciated as I am ready to trade the truck over this ordeal. Thanks.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My phone is too old to run the app. If there is an issue, I wouldn't know it.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
It's handy, when it works. I should know better than rely on technology and I became complacent. Now I'm mad... Mostly at myself for believing in it.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
It's hard to believe these trucks have so much bullshit on them that can leave you stranded. Is your truck an XL, XLT or a Lariat?

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
It's an XLT FX4. Supposedly software is done truck is ready for pickup. No charge. Even though I asked for a door key to be made not sure if that got done.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I think trading the truck over such an ordeal is probably a bit of an overreaction.. but you do you. Certainly a pain in the ass situation lol.. I've been in a vaguely similar one with my truck.

I enabled the scheduled start feature last winter so the truck would be nice and warm on my way to work. One day I left the house early and stopped at the gas station.. leaving my keys in the ignition (off position) and phone on the passengers seat. By the time I had got back out to my truck, it had started itself and locked me out with no way of getting back in it lol. Luckily, the girl behind the counter let me use the store phone, and my fiances phone wasn't on silent so she brought me the spare set.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I will most certainly never rely on the app for anything if I do decide to not part ways. I really do like the truck. And driving this white one the last few days has about killed my bank account..

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Yeah, can only rely on tech so much unfortunately. Glad you didn't get robbed by having to pay for that stupid update.

I've read the app works off of one of the cell companies towers to communicate with the truck.. and it seems like it to me. Out in the boonies the app won't do anything for me, but "back in civilization" it works fine.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
So I work full time for a multi-state John Deere dealer as a telematics monitor and remote support for construction and forestry equipment and we currently(Deere) only use AT&T towers. Over a year ago when AT&T stated they would shut down the 3G network at the end of 2021 Deere provided a free modem upgrade to any machine which would have remote connectivity post EOY 2021 and we currently have roughly 3500 machines that will go dark at the end of next month from customers not responding to the FREE work... They all received emails and letters. As well as our department reaching out multiple times. New kit for customers who did not fall in the free part is $435 for a new modem. I am guessing most vehicle manufacturers use the same network and will likely have the same issue, I am guessing this is what Ford had to update on my truck although they did not clarify..

Side note I got a "door key" made for $60 dollars so I am more comfortable with the situation although I will never fully trust the app again. And they did offer $32k for the truck, not bad beings I have had it for a year and a half with 35k miles on it. In my opinion.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals