• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AOD to manual swap

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok guys, been a long time since I've posted. My aod died this past winter, when it was like -30c out. SO, I broke down and bought another truck. Good news is, i now have a dedicated trail rig. The trucks got a V8 in it, with the AOD trany. I've been given a 4spd trany out of an 86 f150. I have veary little info on the trans, just that its a borg warner unit with a external slave cylinder and at first glance it seams to be cast iron or steel. Few questions, will the slave cylinder for a ranger match up with the f150 trany? Is this a decent trans to swap in anyways? I figure if i can make it work I should try, after all, cant beat free right? Any input would be great
Matt

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Yes, it will bolt up with no problems, and you shouldn't have any issues with it not fitting either...Sounds like you have a T18 trans, as long as the truck is a trail rig and does not see highway use, it'll be good. If it will see highway speeds, I'd look into getting an overdrive trans (5 spd)...The slave should work also....
SVT

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
well, the only pavment it will see will be between trails. SO the T18, is she any good? not like im hard on my equipment, i just pound the shit out of things lol. So i can use a slave and master cylinder set up for a ranger? or an F150 The V8's efi, should I realy worry about swaping ecms?

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on what year ECU you have...if you have 86-91 ECU, you should be okay, as later ECU's controlled the trans as well as the engine, but to be on the safe side plan on getting one just in case...It will run, it'll just operate funny if it does give you problems...I would use the slave from the truck it came out of and the master from the ranger, you should be able to adapt the lines over to make it work, its not that hard..
SVT

Ranger5.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
hmm, sounds like a plan. Im not overly concerned with the engine anyways, its an older ecu,i just know that there is one for a manual and one for an auto.I'll worry about that once shes mobile again. They sell the slave/master and line all pre assembled now..Guess I will work on adapting one from thef150 to work with the ranger pedals. I was once told that its the same stuff. guess we will see.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals