• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Anyone want to talk about break-in?

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I know it's not a new topic. But, I just got a new 4.0 and I'm wondering about breakin. Clearly I want to vary speed and take it easy for the first 1000 miles. But, I'm curious about oil and oil changes during the first miles.

The manual and dealer are saying to leave the oil in for 7500. For better or worse, I just don't have the heart to handle that. So, it's coming out at 3000 at the latest. But, I've read posts where people say to change it every 1000 miles for the first 3000. That sounds like a bit much. But, not the end of the world if lot's of people recommend it.

Also, I'm pretty sure the new 4.0 wants synthetic blend as the stock replacement oil. Any comments on that would be great.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, you can take anecdotal evidence and stories from people on the internet with anecdotal experience, or just trust the highly trained and experienced engineers that designed the engine and work for the company writing the warranty on it...

I think you can see where I stand on this.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The manal for my 2.8 says 7500 miles too, and that is a carburated '85 model. :shok:

They usually also say for extreme use (or something like that) change it at shorter intervals, and most driving is what Ford calls extreme use.

I run my 2002 F-150 until about 4k, or about 4-5 months. I don't see what it will hurt to change it before the oil gets bad than to run it and get every little bit of goody out of it.

Wal-Mart has Motorcraft oil and filters pretty cheap, and they are some of the best stuff out there.

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I would do every 3000 miles for the first 10k miles,(or the 1000 for recommended) then up it to 5000 miles every oil change. I have a 97 w/ 150k on it and even at 5000 miles the oil comes out clean as can be. If you use synthetic oil however it could easily go 7000 miles without a change. No question. After the break in period of course.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
Seems that Wallyworld, Autozone, and Kragen (O'Reilley) all sell Motorcraft oil. Who knew? :) That's so cool. So, now I'll use that. I've become a believer in sending the used oil off for analysis at least occasionally to blackstonelabs.com. They're really cool (no I don't work for or with them). I'm thinking of sending off a batch the first year to get a baseline just for grins.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wal-Mart blows my local O'Reilly's away for prices though.

Kinda stinks they are an hour away though, so I keep a change worth of oil and filters on hand so I have it when I need it.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
I have the same problem. Wallyworld is not close and it's in a crappy part of town, but not so bad. Guess I'll have to go visit and stock up.

However, Autozone has 5 quart jugs of Motorcraft Synthetic Blend for 15.99 which is actually just a hair cheaper than Wallyworld who charges 3.27/quart. But, the chances of Autozoo having that in stock might not be high.

All that said, I'm glad it's generically available. In the meantime, when you buy a new Ranger you get some nice coupons.

P.S. Even though I miss my '94 3.0 a lot I'm starting to love the new one. That 4.0 with the suspension and braking improvements is basically a Porche by my (low) standards. I guess I'd better not test drive a Porche.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Most Wal-Marts I have seen stock the 5w-20 in 5qt jugs too. It has been awhile since I got some so I don't remember the exact price though.

larboc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I change oil on all my vehicles at 15,000 miles since new need it or not. rotella 15w-40

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
You do realize thats mainly a Diesel engine oil, rite? and that rangers call for 5w-30? Theres a pretty good reason ford calls for a low viscosity oil. Its not just for shits and giggles.

mjonesjr

I dance with the Devil...
Firefighter
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well, you can take anecdotal evidence and stories from people on the internet with anecdotal experience, or just trust the highly trained and experienced engineers that designed the engine and work for the company writing the warranty on it...

I think you can see where I stand on this.
Just because someone has a title of "Engineer" doesn't mean they have a flippin clue what they are talking about or writing.

Anyone who runs conventional or even synthetic blend oil for 7,500 miles is asking for problems.

Change your oil every 3,000 miles and be done with it.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wrabgker

You do realize thats mainly a Diesel engine oil, rite? and that rangers call for 5w-30? Theres a pretty good reason ford calls for a low viscosity oil. Its not just for shits and giggles.
I Purchased a 2002 Wrangler from a guy that owns a company with several trucks and a permanant mechanic. He used 15W40 in all his trucks and the mechanic put it in his Jeep also. He last changed the oil at 117K and it still has that 40W in it now.. The engine is quiet and runs as it should.
I am hesitant to put in some lighter oil as it has always had that rotella in it.
The only difference I can SEE is in low temperature weather it seems to get it's pressure a little slower than I might otherwise expect.
Big Jim:hottubfun::wub:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I Purchased a 2002 Wrangler from a guy that owns a company with several trucks and a permanant mechanic. He used 15W40 in all his trucks and the mechanic put it in his Jeep also. He last changed the oil at 117K and it still has that 40W in it now.. The engine is quiet and runs as it should.
I am hesitant to put in some lighter oil as it has always had that rotella in it.
The only difference I can SEE is in low temperature weather it seems to get it's pressure a little slower than I might otherwise expect.
Big Jim
That is fine if that is what you want to do, but I wouldn't start a brand new engine that specs very different oil on it.

barrys

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
As I understand, the Rotella has a high zinc content which is rumored to help engines with "flat tappet" motors. I'm pretty sure the new 2010 motor is not one of those. Anyway, there's lots of interesting discussion on that topic. Here's a report from a source that I trust:
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/Newsletters/Gas-Diesel/November-1-2010.php?utm_source=Nov+2010+Gas%2FDiesel&utm_campaign=490af17038-Nov_2010_Gas_Diesel_Newsletter11_22_2010&utm_medium=email
That's one of the lead engineers at Blackstone doing very scientific testing on his own vehicle. These guys (stud animals in my opinion) do have "engineer" in their titles and all they do all day is think about and experiment with oil/engine wear. I think they do know what the hell they're talking about even though I might not.
After doing a lot of reading on bobistheoilguy.com, I think the only way to really know what's going on with the oil and the motor is to get the used oil looked at. Anything else is just guessing and interesting conversation on the forums.
I'm going to change more often than recommended, but I'm going to stick with spec numbers and blend requirements. No one I trust -- oil engineers, dealer, great indy mechanics -- recommends against that until the motor breaks 100K+.
I would love to see the oil analysis report on the 15K on Rotella in a '91 Ranger. At $25.00 for the test, maybe we should chip in... :)

Anyway, I love starting oil discussion threads. They're always fun.

The thing I really want to hear about are opinions about what mileage to change at when the motor is brand new.

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The guys that should know..

The guys that built these engines and tested them with various oils for millions of miles should know when to change the oil.. After all they are NOT selling oil. All my newer vehicles come with some sort of automatic light that comes on when it is the time to change oil. That's what them guys thought to put in the computer program.
My newer Chevys all tell me to change oil after about 8500 miles.. so I do it when the light comes on. The oil is still clean looking.. but the computer must know something.
The 3,000 mile oil change is what the guys that SELL oil will tell you. I just do what the designers of the engine tell me to do.
By the way... I always put the oil in that is on sale that day... NEVER do I use higher priced oils.
Oh yeah... As for breakin? I run the factory oil till the light comes on... around 8500 miles.
Big JIm:hottubfun::wub:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals